Re: [fearnwhiskey] WRCT weekly charts

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2003
      11 FM KNIVES - Useless And Modern - Broken Rekkids

      On the flufflist people were matching up the post-punk revival bands to
      their mentors. If FM Knives were on that list they'd have been matched up to
      the Buzzcocks. In fact, they are the most buzzcocky band I think I've ever
      heard. The sound wears a little thin by the end of the disc, but overall I
      really like it. (I'm also really enjoying Black Lipstick (who sound more
      like the Feelies mixed with the Blacks than any punk thing), Numbers
      (annoying in a good sorta way) and Tokyo Sex Destruction (my favorite MC5
      copy of the moment.)

      5 UNDER THE INFLUENCE MIXED BY ROB SWIFT VARIOUS ARTISTS

      That was the number one record on XDU last week. Or #2...or something like
      that. Good stuff if you like the oldschool funk/soul vibe with some
      turntable scratching going on here and there.

      steve
    • jeffj@blast.net
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2003
        Speaking of "sounding like", in a recent interview, the Hives said their
        upcoming cd sounds like a cross between the Sex Pistols and Kraftwerk. That
        should be interesting, unless of course it ends up sounding like Public Image.
        <g> Though, I admit I've only heard the first couple PIL releases. Are any of
        their later records worth checking out?

        Jeff J, who is also digging Black Lipstick and will be looking for some Feelies
        vinyl at this weekend's WFMU record fair in NYC

        Quoting Steve Gardner <steve@...>:
        >(I'm also really enjoying Black Lipstick (who sound more
        > like the Feelies mixed with the Blacks than any punk thing), Numbers
        > (annoying in a good sorta way) and Tokyo Sex Destruction (my favorite MC5
        > copy of the moment.)

        This mail sent through the BlastNet Webmail
      • Steve Gardner
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2003
          Speaking of "sounding like", in a recent interview, the Hives said their
          upcoming cd sounds like a cross between the Sex Pistols and Kraftwerk. That
          should be interesting, unless of course it ends up sounding like Public
          Image.
          <g> Though, I admit I've only heard the first couple PIL releases. Are any
          of
          their later records worth checking out?
          =
          I'm a big fan of this first album, and that's about it. I haven't listened
          extensively to any of their other stuff, though I do own Second Edition and
          the Live Album. Second Edition usually gets all the raves, but I'm not that
          into it. I've also hear the generic Album, but it doesn't do a whole lot for
          me (though it did when I was a new waven youngster.)
          =
          Jeff J, who is also digging Black Lipstick and will be looking for some
          Feelies
          vinyl at this weekend's WFMU record fair in NYC
          =

          On another list today someone sent out a message titled "Magazine CDs". I
          thought it was going to be about the band Magazine, but instead they were
          talking about CDs that go in magazines. But it got me to thinking. What are
          your thoughts on Magazine? I have one album of theirs (Secondhand Daylight),
          but I haven't listened to it in probably a dozen years (mainly because I'm
          lazy about playing vinyl.)

          steve
        • Carl Abraham Zimring
          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2003
            --On Friday, May 2, 2003 9:59 AM -0400 Steve Gardner <steve@...>
            wrote:

            > <g> Though, I admit I've only heard the first couple PIL releases. Are any
            > of
            > their later records worth checking out?
            > =
            > I'm a big fan of this first album, and that's about it. I haven't listened
            > extensively to any of their other stuff, though I do own Second Edition
            > and the Live Album. Second Edition usually gets all the raves, but I'm
            > not that into it. I've also hear the generic Album, but it doesn't do a
            > whole lot for me (though it did when I was a new waven youngster.)

            Every PiL disc is different from the last, in part because just about every
            PiL disc featured a different line-up. The first album has some nice Keith
            Levine guitar lines that The Edge listened to a time or two thousand.
            _Second Edition_ works best if you have very big subwoofers, as Jah
            Wobble's bass is the dominant sound (Lydon's muttering is about third in
            the mix). If you like percussion, _Flowers of Romance_ is your record.
            _This Is What You Want...This Is What You Get_ puts some terrible
            production on some good songs; if you can find Levene's grey-market
            _Commercial Zone_ (put out after he left the band and Lydon wiped his
            guitar parts from _This Is..._), get that for better versions of "This Is
            Not a Love Song" and the great instrumental "The Slab" (which was the
            blueprint for Pray for Rain's entire catalog).

            I think _Album_ is excellent. Lydon's voice tops a Bill Laswell-assembled
            band that included Tony Williams and Ginger Baker on drums and Sonny
            Sharrock-collaborator Nicky Skopelitis on guitars. Had they opted for
            Sharrock rather than Steve Vai for the lead work, I'd call it a
            masterpiece, but as it is, there is some very satisfying groove-laden hard
            rock on _Album_.

            Then it all went downhill. Despite roping in ex-Magazine guitarist John
            McGeoch and current Mekon Lu Edmonds, the subsequent discs sound like bad
            "modern rock" c. 1987.

            > On another list today someone sent out a message titled "Magazine CDs". I
            > thought it was going to be about the band Magazine, but instead they were
            > talking about CDs that go in magazines. But it got me to thinking. What
            > are your thoughts on Magazine? I have one album of theirs (Secondhand
            > Daylight), but I haven't listened to it in probably a dozen years (mainly
            > because I'm lazy about playing vinyl.)

            You mean the band led by one of my favorite lyricists? The band featuring
            not only McGeoch but the young Barry Adamson. Yeah, I'm a fan. My
            favorite album of theirs is _The Correct Use of Soap_, but I love the whole
            catalog, and the box _Maybe It's Right to Be Nervous Now_ adds many b-sides
            and live tracks in an attractive package.

            _Secondhand Daylight_ may be their least accessible record with its long
            songs, but it's all good.

            Carl Z.
          • Dave Purcell
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2003
              Carl Zimring wrote:

              <<I think _Album_ is excellent. Lydon's voice tops a Bill
              Laswell-assembled
              band that included Tony Williams and Ginger Baker on drums and Sonny
              Sharrock-collaborator Nicky Skopelitis on guitars. Had they opted for
              Sharrock rather than Steve Vai for the lead work, I'd call it a
              masterpiece, but as it is, there is some very satisfying groove-laden
              hard
              rock on _Album_.>>

              I like Album (or Cassette or Compact Disc) quite a bit too, it's my fave
              (though Second Edition holds a very special place in my heart for
              personal reasons). I really dig all the PiL records up to Album. As Carl
              said, they fell off after that.

              I saw PiL open for INXS in Louisville once. It was beautiful. Louisville
              college kids didn't know quite what to make of Lydon, and he kept coming
              up to the edge of the stage saying, "Don't worry, Uncle Johnny won't
              hurt you."

              Anger is an energy,
              dp
            • Carl Abraham Zimring
              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                --On Friday, May 2, 2003 10:45 AM -0400 Dave Purcell <dave@...>
                wrote:

                > I like Album (or Cassette or Compact Disc) quite a bit too, it's my fave

                One of my high-school friends bought an old eight-track tape player at a
                flea market and modified it to record just so he could have _Eight-Track_.

                Carl Z.
              • Mock the DJ
                Message 7 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                  >From: "Steve Gardner" <steve@...>

                  >11 FM KNIVES - Useless And Modern - Broken Rekkids
                  >
                  >In fact, they are the most buzzcocky band I think I've ever heard.

                  What's your take on The Briefs?

                  Steve continued:

                  >(I'm also really enjoying Black Lipstick (who sound more like the Feelies
                  >mixed with the Blacks than any punk thing),

                  I'm intrigued about this comparison, because my thoughts on their previous
                  EP was that it "sounded like the songs were pulled from some long lost
                  Velvet Underground songbook."

                  Of course, how this differs from a Feelies comparison? I'm not sure.

                  Paul

                • Steve Gardner
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                    >In fact, they are the most buzzcocky band I think I've ever heard.

                    >What's your take on The Briefs?

                    I don't know the Briefs. Should I?

                    Steve continued:

                    >(I'm also really enjoying Black Lipstick (who sound more like the Feelies
                    >mixed with the Blacks than any punk thing),

                    I'm intrigued about this comparison, because my thoughts on their previous
                    EP was that it "sounded like the songs were pulled from some long lost
                    Velvet Underground songbook."

                    Of course, how this differs from a Feelies comparison? I'm not sure.
                    ==

                    Exactly.

                    steve
                  • jeffj@blast.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                      I totally dig the Briefs. IMO, they do a great job of tapping into the goofy
                      spirit and sloppy energy of classic punk/new wave and they write catchy songs,
                      something that a lot of punk-garage-whatever revival bands fail to do. And
                      their live show is a lot of fun too. In a similar vein (I'm guessing), I
                      haven't heard the Thermals yet.

                      Jeff J

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                        Speaking of Kraftwerk, I'll inform all the faithful Gothees fans out there
                        that we will debuting a new song this Saturday at the Warsaw Tavern (in
                        Polish Hill) here in Pgh.

                        The end result will be what you get when you cross the theme to "Ultra Man"
                        with Kraftwerk's "The Model".

                        Shameless self plug,
                        Paul

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                          I love the Thermals. I saw them at SXSW, too, and they were terrific. They are a four piece. The lead singer looks about 19 years old. He's geeky and he gives it all he's got. Their CD sounds like a more noisy (and less polished) version of the Strokes. They probably would hate it if they heard me say that, but it's true.

                          steve
                          I totally dig the Briefs. IMO, they do a great job of tapping into the goofy
                          spirit and sloppy energy of classic punk/new wave and they write catchy songs,
                          something that a lot of punk-garage-whatever revival bands fail to do. And
                          their live show is a lot of fun too. In a similar vein (I'm guessing), I
                          haven't heard the Thermals yet.

                          Jeff J

                          > What's your take on The Briefs?

                          This mail sent through the BlastNet Webmail

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • Carl Abraham Zimring
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                            --On Friday, May 2, 2003 12:56 PM -0400 Mock the DJ <mockthedj@...>
                            wrote:

                            > The end result will be what you get when you cross the theme to "Ultra
                            > Man" with Kraftwerk's "The Model".

                            I think you need video screens showing the title credits to Ultra Man
                            behind you. I'm not sure exactly where they would fit at the Warsaw, but
                            I'm still kind of surprised they can haul amps into that room and not have
                            the floor disintegrate.