WRCT weekly charts

  • Carl Abraham Zimring
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2003
      for the week ending 4/26/03

      TOP 30

      1 ROYKSOPP - Melody A.M. - Astralwerks
      2 SMOKING POPES TRIBUTE - Various Artists - Double Zero
      3 YO LA TENGO - Summer Sun - Mataador
      4 FRONT 242 - Still And Raw - Metropolis
      5 DEERHOOF - Apple O - 5RC
      6 APHEX TWIN - 26 Mixes For Cash - Warp
      7 STOMPIN' - Various Artists - Stomp
      8 LIGHTNING BOLT - Wonderful Rainbow - Load
      9 NOBUKAZU TAKEMURA - 10th - Thrill Jockey
      10 FLYING GROOVE - Various Artists - Bluebird
      11 FM KNIVES - Useless And Modern - Broken Rekkids
      12 JR EWING - Ride Paranoia - GSL
      13 WOLFSHEIM - Casting Shadows - Metropolis
      14 WILLIE NELSON - Crazy: The Demo Sessions - Sugar Hill
      15 POSTAL SERVICE - Give Up - Sub Pop
      16 SHIPPING NEWS - Three-Four - Quarterstick
      17 TED LEO AND THE PHARMACISTS - Hearts Of Oak - Lookout
      18 MIND FLAYER - Take Your Skin Off - Bulb
      19 JON LANGFORD WITH THE SADIES - Mayors Of The Moon - Bloodshot
      20 FLYING FUNK - Various Artists - Bluebird
      21 ONEIDA - Each One Teach One - Jagjaguwar
      22 SOVIET - We Are Eyes, We Are Builders - Head
      23 LUCIANO - Serve Jah - VP
      24 WANNA BUY A CRAPRAK? - Various Artists - Carpark
      25 CLASSIC BLUES - Various Artists - Smithsonian Folkways
      26 FISCHERSPOONER - #1 - Capitol
      27 SWEEP THE LEG JOHNNY/RUMAH SAKIT - Live - Sickroom
      28 TANGIERS - Hot New Spirits - Sonic Unyon
      29 ULTRA DOLPHINS - Ultra Dolphins - If And When
      30 FRED FRITH - Guitar Solos - ReR

      TOP 10 JAZZ

      1 FLYING GROOVE - Various Artists - Bluebird
      2 PAUL FLAHERTY - Voices - Wet Paint
      3 STEVE LACY 6 - We See - HatOlogy
      4 WAYNE SHORTER - Alegria - Verve
      5 DAVE DOUGLAS - Freak In - Bluebird
      6 AERCINE - Aercine - Drimala
      7 COMPANION TRIO - Our Customs - Mass Particles
      8 WALLY SHOUP TRIO - Fusillades And Lamentations - Leo
      9 ORCHESTRE NATIONAL DE JAZZ - Charmediterraneen - ECM
      10 JEFF PARKER - Like-Coping - Delmark

      TOP 10 INTERNATIONAL

      1 LUCIANO - Serve Jah - VP
      2 BURNING SPEAR - Live At Montreux Jazz Festival 2001 - Burning Music
      3 THE ROUGH GUIDE TO THE BALKANS - Various Artists - World Music Network
      4 AMANDLA! - SOUNDTRACK - ATO
      5 NINEY THE OBSERVER - Niney And Friends - Trojan
      6 GROUNDATION - Hebron Gate - Young Tree
      7 VINICIUS DE MORAES - Days In Mar Del Plata - Circular Moves
      8 YABBY YOU - Dub It To The Top: 1976-1979 - Blood And Fire
      9 ANATOLIA - Lost Songs Of Palestine - [self-released]
      10 SECKOU KEITA - Mali - Arc

      TOP 10 HIP HOP FULL-LENGTHS

      1 TALIB KWELI Quality
      2 T-LOVE Long Way Back
      3 DJ KRUSH The Message At The Depth
      4 A BLOW TO THE STATE VARIOUS ARTISTS
      5 UNDER THE INFLUENCE MIXED BY ROB SWIFT VARIOUS ARTISTS
      6 STRICT FLOW Without Further Ado
      7 OPUS First Contact 001
      8 COUNT BASS-D Dwight Spitz
      9 DOOLEY O Watch My Moves
      10 SAGE FRANCIS Makeshift Patriot

      TOP 10 LOUD ROCK

      1 STRAPPING YOUNG LAD SYL
      2 THE END Transfer Trachea Reverberations from
      Point: False Omniscient
      3 KAMELOT Epica
      4 SOILWORK Figure Number Five
      5 KALIBAS Product Of Hard Living
      6 MARDUK World Funeral
      7 DARKTHRONE Hate Them
      8 BENUMB By Means Of Upheaval
      9 BLOOD RED THRONE Affiliated With Suffering
      10 VITAL REMAINS Dechristianize
    • Steve Gardner
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2003
        11 FM KNIVES - Useless And Modern - Broken Rekkids

        On the flufflist people were matching up the post-punk revival bands to
        their mentors. If FM Knives were on that list they'd have been matched up to
        the Buzzcocks. In fact, they are the most buzzcocky band I think I've ever
        heard. The sound wears a little thin by the end of the disc, but overall I
        really like it. (I'm also really enjoying Black Lipstick (who sound more
        like the Feelies mixed with the Blacks than any punk thing), Numbers
        (annoying in a good sorta way) and Tokyo Sex Destruction (my favorite MC5
        copy of the moment.)

        5 UNDER THE INFLUENCE MIXED BY ROB SWIFT VARIOUS ARTISTS

        That was the number one record on XDU last week. Or #2...or something like
        that. Good stuff if you like the oldschool funk/soul vibe with some
        turntable scratching going on here and there.

        steve
      • jeffj@blast.net
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2003
          Speaking of "sounding like", in a recent interview, the Hives said their
          upcoming cd sounds like a cross between the Sex Pistols and Kraftwerk. That
          should be interesting, unless of course it ends up sounding like Public Image.
          <g> Though, I admit I've only heard the first couple PIL releases. Are any of
          their later records worth checking out?

          Jeff J, who is also digging Black Lipstick and will be looking for some Feelies
          vinyl at this weekend's WFMU record fair in NYC

          Quoting Steve Gardner <steve@...>:
          >(I'm also really enjoying Black Lipstick (who sound more
          > like the Feelies mixed with the Blacks than any punk thing), Numbers
          > (annoying in a good sorta way) and Tokyo Sex Destruction (my favorite MC5
          > copy of the moment.)

          This mail sent through the BlastNet Webmail
        • Steve Gardner
          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2003
            Speaking of "sounding like", in a recent interview, the Hives said their
            upcoming cd sounds like a cross between the Sex Pistols and Kraftwerk. That
            should be interesting, unless of course it ends up sounding like Public
            Image.
            <g> Though, I admit I've only heard the first couple PIL releases. Are any
            of
            their later records worth checking out?
            =
            I'm a big fan of this first album, and that's about it. I haven't listened
            extensively to any of their other stuff, though I do own Second Edition and
            the Live Album. Second Edition usually gets all the raves, but I'm not that
            into it. I've also hear the generic Album, but it doesn't do a whole lot for
            me (though it did when I was a new waven youngster.)
            =
            Jeff J, who is also digging Black Lipstick and will be looking for some
            Feelies
            vinyl at this weekend's WFMU record fair in NYC
            =

            On another list today someone sent out a message titled "Magazine CDs". I
            thought it was going to be about the band Magazine, but instead they were
            talking about CDs that go in magazines. But it got me to thinking. What are
            your thoughts on Magazine? I have one album of theirs (Secondhand Daylight),
            but I haven't listened to it in probably a dozen years (mainly because I'm
            lazy about playing vinyl.)

            steve
          • Carl Abraham Zimring
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2003
              --On Friday, May 2, 2003 9:59 AM -0400 Steve Gardner <steve@...>
              wrote:

              > <g> Though, I admit I've only heard the first couple PIL releases. Are any
              > of
              > their later records worth checking out?
              > =
              > I'm a big fan of this first album, and that's about it. I haven't listened
              > extensively to any of their other stuff, though I do own Second Edition
              > and the Live Album. Second Edition usually gets all the raves, but I'm
              > not that into it. I've also hear the generic Album, but it doesn't do a
              > whole lot for me (though it did when I was a new waven youngster.)

              Every PiL disc is different from the last, in part because just about every
              PiL disc featured a different line-up. The first album has some nice Keith
              Levine guitar lines that The Edge listened to a time or two thousand.
              _Second Edition_ works best if you have very big subwoofers, as Jah
              Wobble's bass is the dominant sound (Lydon's muttering is about third in
              the mix). If you like percussion, _Flowers of Romance_ is your record.
              _This Is What You Want...This Is What You Get_ puts some terrible
              production on some good songs; if you can find Levene's grey-market
              _Commercial Zone_ (put out after he left the band and Lydon wiped his
              guitar parts from _This Is..._), get that for better versions of "This Is
              Not a Love Song" and the great instrumental "The Slab" (which was the
              blueprint for Pray for Rain's entire catalog).

              I think _Album_ is excellent. Lydon's voice tops a Bill Laswell-assembled
              band that included Tony Williams and Ginger Baker on drums and Sonny
              Sharrock-collaborator Nicky Skopelitis on guitars. Had they opted for
              Sharrock rather than Steve Vai for the lead work, I'd call it a
              masterpiece, but as it is, there is some very satisfying groove-laden hard
              rock on _Album_.

              Then it all went downhill. Despite roping in ex-Magazine guitarist John
              McGeoch and current Mekon Lu Edmonds, the subsequent discs sound like bad
              "modern rock" c. 1987.

              > On another list today someone sent out a message titled "Magazine CDs". I
              > thought it was going to be about the band Magazine, but instead they were
              > talking about CDs that go in magazines. But it got me to thinking. What
              > are your thoughts on Magazine? I have one album of theirs (Secondhand
              > Daylight), but I haven't listened to it in probably a dozen years (mainly
              > because I'm lazy about playing vinyl.)

              You mean the band led by one of my favorite lyricists? The band featuring
              not only McGeoch but the young Barry Adamson. Yeah, I'm a fan. My
              favorite album of theirs is _The Correct Use of Soap_, but I love the whole
              catalog, and the box _Maybe It's Right to Be Nervous Now_ adds many b-sides
              and live tracks in an attractive package.

              _Secondhand Daylight_ may be their least accessible record with its long
              songs, but it's all good.

              Carl Z.
            • Dave Purcell
              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                Carl Zimring wrote:

                <<I think _Album_ is excellent. Lydon's voice tops a Bill
                Laswell-assembled
                band that included Tony Williams and Ginger Baker on drums and Sonny
                Sharrock-collaborator Nicky Skopelitis on guitars. Had they opted for
                Sharrock rather than Steve Vai for the lead work, I'd call it a
                masterpiece, but as it is, there is some very satisfying groove-laden
                hard
                rock on _Album_.>>

                I like Album (or Cassette or Compact Disc) quite a bit too, it's my fave
                (though Second Edition holds a very special place in my heart for
                personal reasons). I really dig all the PiL records up to Album. As Carl
                said, they fell off after that.

                I saw PiL open for INXS in Louisville once. It was beautiful. Louisville
                college kids didn't know quite what to make of Lydon, and he kept coming
                up to the edge of the stage saying, "Don't worry, Uncle Johnny won't
                hurt you."

                Anger is an energy,
                dp
              • Carl Abraham Zimring
                Message 7 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                  --On Friday, May 2, 2003 10:45 AM -0400 Dave Purcell <dave@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I like Album (or Cassette or Compact Disc) quite a bit too, it's my fave

                  One of my high-school friends bought an old eight-track tape player at a
                  flea market and modified it to record just so he could have _Eight-Track_.

                  Carl Z.
                • Mock the DJ
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                    >From: "Steve Gardner" <steve@...>

                    >11 FM KNIVES - Useless And Modern - Broken Rekkids
                    >
                    >In fact, they are the most buzzcocky band I think I've ever heard.

                    What's your take on The Briefs?

                    Steve continued:

                    >(I'm also really enjoying Black Lipstick (who sound more like the Feelies
                    >mixed with the Blacks than any punk thing),

                    I'm intrigued about this comparison, because my thoughts on their previous
                    EP was that it "sounded like the songs were pulled from some long lost
                    Velvet Underground songbook."

                    Of course, how this differs from a Feelies comparison? I'm not sure.

                    Paul

                  • Steve Gardner
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                      >In fact, they are the most buzzcocky band I think I've ever heard.

                      >What's your take on The Briefs?

                      I don't know the Briefs. Should I?

                      Steve continued:

                      >(I'm also really enjoying Black Lipstick (who sound more like the Feelies
                      >mixed with the Blacks than any punk thing),

                      I'm intrigued about this comparison, because my thoughts on their previous
                      EP was that it "sounded like the songs were pulled from some long lost
                      Velvet Underground songbook."

                      Of course, how this differs from a Feelies comparison? I'm not sure.
                      ==

                      Exactly.

                      steve
                    • jeffj@blast.net
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                        I totally dig the Briefs. IMO, they do a great job of tapping into the goofy
                        spirit and sloppy energy of classic punk/new wave and they write catchy songs,
                        something that a lot of punk-garage-whatever revival bands fail to do. And
                        their live show is a lot of fun too. In a similar vein (I'm guessing), I
                        haven't heard the Thermals yet.

                        Jeff J

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                          Speaking of Kraftwerk, I'll inform all the faithful Gothees fans out there
                          that we will debuting a new song this Saturday at the Warsaw Tavern (in
                          Polish Hill) here in Pgh.

                          The end result will be what you get when you cross the theme to "Ultra Man"
                          with Kraftwerk's "The Model".

                          Shameless self plug,
                          Paul

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                            I love the Thermals. I saw them at SXSW, too, and they were terrific. They are a four piece. The lead singer looks about 19 years old. He's geeky and he gives it all he's got. Their CD sounds like a more noisy (and less polished) version of the Strokes. They probably would hate it if they heard me say that, but it's true.

                            steve
                            I totally dig the Briefs. IMO, they do a great job of tapping into the goofy
                            spirit and sloppy energy of classic punk/new wave and they write catchy songs,
                            something that a lot of punk-garage-whatever revival bands fail to do. And
                            their live show is a lot of fun too. In a similar vein (I'm guessing), I
                            haven't heard the Thermals yet.

                            Jeff J

                            > What's your take on The Briefs?

                            This mail sent through the BlastNet Webmail

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          • Carl Abraham Zimring
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                              --On Friday, May 2, 2003 12:56 PM -0400 Mock the DJ <mockthedj@...>
                              wrote:

                              > The end result will be what you get when you cross the theme to "Ultra
                              > Man" with Kraftwerk's "The Model".

                              I think you need video screens showing the title credits to Ultra Man
                              behind you. I'm not sure exactly where they would fit at the Warsaw, but
                              I'm still kind of surprised they can haul amps into that room and not have
                              the floor disintegrate.