Re: [fearnwhiskey] Re: Clip: Bonnie Prince Billy + Sonny Vincent

  • jeffj@blast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2003
      I haven't seen any of Vincent's recent shows nor have I heard his new cd, but I
      do know that the Testors were quite a mediocre NYC punk band that had a
      smattering of forgettable releases and weren't even a blip on the punk rock
      timeline. I saw them a number of times opening for other acts at CBGB's and
      Max's Kansas City and can't recall anything memorable about their sets other
      than counting the minutes until the headliner would hit the stage. And the fact
      that they released a 45 on Bleeker Bob's label didn't help their reputation
      among punk rockers. In retrospect, the Testors might seem like some great, lost
      NYC punk band, but believe me, they were nothing much at all. Certainly not as
      much as some reviews of Vincent's cd would have you believe. Despite the
      romantic notions that one may have of the 1970s NYC punk rock scene, there were
      a lot of godawful bands and the fact that the main driving forces in the scene
      were pretentious art shitheads like Tom Verlaine, Richard Hell, Patti Smith and
      David Byrne who were lucky enough to have the punk rock wave sweep them up and
      provide an audience for their bad poetry and six-string noodling drives home
      the point that much of the NYC "punk" scene is greatly overrated. So why Sonny
      Vincent, why now? Well, I blame the Europeans <g> and their tendency to pick up
      on anything from America's musical past slightly rebellious, raw and of course,
      clad in black leather. There's always an audience for a new Johnny Thunders or
      Eddie Cochran. And would Vincent's cd have gotten any attention if it wasn't
      for the long list of music legends that he convinced to make appearances
      (though some like Cheetah Chrome say that they are listed in the credits though
      they have no involvement?) Maybe the cd is great, maybe Vincent has finally hit
      his stride. I'm curious to hear it. If nothing else, the guy is a great
      networker and promoter.

      Jeff J

      Quoting Aleksandar Lazarevic <lavac@...>:
      > Anyone can send impressions regarding Sonny Vincent concerts. He's coming
      > this weekend
      > with Bobby Steele (ex-Misfits) & Ivan Julian (ex- Richard Hell & the
      > Voidoids). For those
      > who are not familiar with Sonny Vincent i recommend some resarch.

      This mail sent through the BlastNet Webmail
    • miav399
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2003
        Sonny Vincent has put out over 25 records since 1980, the guest on
        his new CD respect his contribution to NYC's punk beginings, you
        don't get contacts like that from sucking, dumb ass.
        Cheetah Chrome is NOT listed in the credits on The Good The Bad & The
        Ugly CD. He was listed as working with Sonny in the passed in a
        review in which Chrome got all "up in arms" about, showing his ass.
        The fact of the matter is Cheetah Chrome's heart has lost the meaning
        of true Punk Rock and Roll and is only focused on money.