Re: Clip: Bonnie Prince Billy + Sonny Vincent

  • Aleksandar Lazarevic
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2003
      > Poor old Europe. The continent just can't catch a break -- not from
      > crowing Fox News hawks, not even from arty musicians.
      >
      > "I hate going there," says Will Oldham, who recently returned from an
      > overseas jaunt in support of Master and Everyone, his latest release
      > as alter ego Bonnie Prince Billy. "It's just a pain in the neck, you
      > know? There's probably certain folk music and certain culinary items
      > you can't get over here, but I like being here because I like being
      > able to communicate with people. When you go around the US, you can
      > talk to people at the shows. When you're over there, it's very
      > difficult."

      I don't know why he said that. Europe is much smaller than America and any artist
      travel
      far less in Europe where cities are closer than in USA. Also, they always play for more
      audience in Europe than in USA.
      Here in Serbia there's not much Americana concerts but whoever came spent some time
      chating with audience and signing cds etc. Don't think that anyone had paragraph in
      contract
      not to talk with audience or touch flowers in the hall near cloakroom : - )

      Anyone can send impressions regarding Sonny Vincent concerts. He's coming this weekend
      with Bobby Steele (ex-Misfits) & Ivan Julian (ex- Richard Hell & the Voidoids). For those
      who are not familiar with Sonny Vincent i recommend some resarch.

      Aleksandar
      np: The swindlers - Songs in the key of T
    • jeffj@blast.net
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2003
        I haven't seen any of Vincent's recent shows nor have I heard his new cd, but I
        do know that the Testors were quite a mediocre NYC punk band that had a
        smattering of forgettable releases and weren't even a blip on the punk rock
        timeline. I saw them a number of times opening for other acts at CBGB's and
        Max's Kansas City and can't recall anything memorable about their sets other
        than counting the minutes until the headliner would hit the stage. And the fact
        that they released a 45 on Bleeker Bob's label didn't help their reputation
        among punk rockers. In retrospect, the Testors might seem like some great, lost
        NYC punk band, but believe me, they were nothing much at all. Certainly not as
        much as some reviews of Vincent's cd would have you believe. Despite the
        romantic notions that one may have of the 1970s NYC punk rock scene, there were
        a lot of godawful bands and the fact that the main driving forces in the scene
        were pretentious art shitheads like Tom Verlaine, Richard Hell, Patti Smith and
        David Byrne who were lucky enough to have the punk rock wave sweep them up and
        provide an audience for their bad poetry and six-string noodling drives home
        the point that much of the NYC "punk" scene is greatly overrated. So why Sonny
        Vincent, why now? Well, I blame the Europeans <g> and their tendency to pick up
        on anything from America's musical past slightly rebellious, raw and of course,
        clad in black leather. There's always an audience for a new Johnny Thunders or
        Eddie Cochran. And would Vincent's cd have gotten any attention if it wasn't
        for the long list of music legends that he convinced to make appearances
        (though some like Cheetah Chrome say that they are listed in the credits though
        they have no involvement?) Maybe the cd is great, maybe Vincent has finally hit
        his stride. I'm curious to hear it. If nothing else, the guy is a great
        networker and promoter.

        Jeff J

        Quoting Aleksandar Lazarevic <lavac@...>:
        > Anyone can send impressions regarding Sonny Vincent concerts. He's coming
        > this weekend
        > with Bobby Steele (ex-Misfits) & Ivan Julian (ex- Richard Hell & the
        > Voidoids). For those
        > who are not familiar with Sonny Vincent i recommend some resarch.

        This mail sent through the BlastNet Webmail
      • miav399
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 7, 2003
          Sonny Vincent has put out over 25 records since 1980, the guest on
          his new CD respect his contribution to NYC's punk beginings, you
          don't get contacts like that from sucking, dumb ass.
          Cheetah Chrome is NOT listed in the credits on The Good The Bad & The
          Ugly CD. He was listed as working with Sonny in the passed in a
          review in which Chrome got all "up in arms" about, showing his ass.
          The fact of the matter is Cheetah Chrome's heart has lost the meaning
          of true Punk Rock and Roll and is only focused on money.