Richard Buckner (was Clip: Bonnie Prince Billy)

  • Carl Abraham Zimring
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2003
      --On Wednesday, April 30, 2003 2:37 PM +0100 Andy Benham
      <a.s.benham@...> wrote:

      > On a related note, last night I caught Richard Buckner's solo show.
      > And well how captivating can one performer be. Contorted face,
      > nylon strung acoustic guitar with the occasional foray with an
      > electric, he played an hour and a half of wonderful primitve
      > confessional folk music. I loved the way his voiced kind of veered
      > about almost sounding countryish but not quite. I'd kind of given up
      > on him after _The Hill_, which I found difficult to say the least. But
      > after last night I think it definitely needs revisiting.

      _The Hill_ is the hardest Buckner disc for me to get into, in part because
      I enjoy how he wraps his voice around his own lyrics, in part because the
      instrumentals don't do much for me. But the two subsequent Overcoat
      releases are very good; _Impassse_ probably is the least country-sound disc
      he's made, with lots of catchy, synth-laden short songs, and _Richard
      Buckner_ reissues solo acoustic versions of a lot of _Devotion + Doubt_
      material.

      > Andy, RB last night, Calexico tonight, and Steve Wynn and Laura
      > Cantrell next week. My cup runneth over.

      I wanna go to England.

      Carl Z.
      who will wait to see Wynn in just over a month and Calexico, who knows?