seattle (was: the Long Winters)

  • roger bratten
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 28, 2003
      >I really love how there are so many free instores here in Seattle.
      >There really weren't too many of them in Boston. I am not sure about
      >other cities?

      And so many live-on-air things at KEXP too. They even have musical guests in
      the middle of the night - a local band called 'the transmissionary six' will
      be on next tues at 3 AM.

      and everything is webcast and archived at kexp.org too...

      -bratty

    • Steve Gardner
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 28, 2003
        >I really love how there are so many free instores here in Seattle.
        >There really weren't too many of them in Boston. I am not sure about
        >other cities?

        >And so many live-on-air things at KEXP too.

        Ain't it amazing what you can get when you live in a town with great radio,
        retail, clubs and press?

        steve
      • Patrick Randerson
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 28, 2003
          The sad,pasty corner of the world I inhabit is abuzz today with news of
          Apple's online music distribution program.

          Seems to be .99 per track (I've heard rumors that a whole album price
          maxes out at 9.99) and you can basically do whatever you want with the AAC
          file you get from them (though you may have to use software other than
          iTunes to do it). I can't browse the catalog without having iTunes 4, and
          I don't have a mac on me.

          It got me looking at other such online shops, and I'm intrigued with
          emusic.com. They use an all-you-can-eat model. $15 a month in 3-month
          increments or $10/mo in 12 month-increments. Downloads are plain
          old mp3 -- 128kbps (though they promise higher bitrate "soon").
          format. Emusic seems to focus on smaller labels and they've got a large
          swath of Matador represented, for example.

          I've also looked at Audiogalaxy Rhapsody -- this one requires a special
          player as it has its own format. $10/month and you can listen to any of
          their tracks (streaming) as much as you like, but that's all. For $.99 a
          track, you can burn a track (I'm not sure if there's a per album cap) so
          you "own" it. I did a 7 day trial, and I found it a handy way to preview
          music.

          Anyway, I'm wondering if the folks on the list have any thoughts on such
          matters. I'll never completely stop buying music from stores because I
          like the ritual. But I spend enough on music a month that $15/mo for
          all-you-can-download from emuisc looks like a steal. Or, as in the case of
          Rhapsody, $10/month for isn't bad to audition music before I buy it.

          So, has anyone joined the 21st century yet? Do you like it there?
        • Steve Gardner
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 28, 2003
            Here are my thoughts. Stick with the MP3 format. I, and many other people,
            already have hardware that play that format. Why reinvent the wheel? Why
            mess around with some new Audiogalaxy format? If they go out of business,
            you're fucked.

            I think 99 cents a track is too much. Cut that in half,at least. But always
            make available a plan where you can download a certain number of tracks for
            a monthly fee, too, for those that want more. Make it a tiered plan. In
            other words, 50 downloads a month for $20. 100 downloads a month for $35.
            Etc etc.

            Also, I'd like to see a system where the artist gets paid a royalty
            everytime his/her song is downloaded. In other words, I don't want a system
            like the Columbia Music Club where the company buys the rights to a labels
            catalog for a flat fee, and then they can give out as much music as they
            want (how do you think they can afford giving away all those free Cds?) I
            think each artist ought to get their 7 cents (or whatever) everytime someone
            chooses their song. Imagine how much more money Snoop Dogg and the Gourds
            would have if they had gotten a few cents everytime someone downloaded their
            cover of "Gin and Juice"? (Of course, I think Snoop is probably doing just
            fine monetarily, just the same.)

            Frankly, I think Apple will work out the technical issues fairly well. I'm
            worried about whether they will give the same amount of attention to the
            artists and songwriters.

            But hey, it's a changing world. I'm willing to see someone try a totally new
            model.

            steve
          • David Atteberry
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 28, 2003
              I kind of stumbled into the 21st century. I really like eMusic for exactly the reason you listed -- smaller labels. The quality is good to me though I am far from an audiophile There are also enough free sites with mp3 downloads such as epitonic and publicdomain4u. My .02 cents, David

            • Dave Purcell
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 29, 2003
                Patrick Randerson wrote:

                <<It got me looking at other such online shops, and I'm intrigued with
                emusic.com. They use an all-you-can-eat model. $15 a month in 3-month
                increments or $10/mo in 12 month-increments. Downloads are plain
                old mp3 -- 128kbps (though they promise higher bitrate "soon").
                format. Emusic seems to focus on smaller labels and they've got a large
                swath of Matador represented, for example.>>

                I did the two-week trial subscription -- 50 MP3s for free, as long as
                you cancel in time -- and I was underwhelmed by their selection in every
                genre. I ended up grabbing a couple GBV records (I still don't
                understand the hype), some old Isaac Hayes, and the Sugarman Three
                record. I didn't see enough to justify sticking around, though the
                service was easy to use.

                dp
              • arsenault_marie
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 30, 2003
                  Speaking of Sugarman Three, I saw them in Nashville last weekend.
                  What an amazing show. Lee Fields played a very long set with him.
                  What a freakin' amazing singer and entertainer. It was a very good
                  crowd for Nashville and people were really into the show. These guys
                  are the real thing. They can play. And it's just so cool to hear funk
                  live and played so damn well. They're touring now. Catch them if you
                  can.

                  marie
                • Dave Purcell
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 30, 2003
                    arsenault_marie wrote:

                    <<Speaking of Sugarman Three, I saw them in Nashville last weekend.
                    What an amazing show. Lee Fields played a very long set with him.
                    What a freakin' amazing singer and entertainer. It was a very good
                    crowd for Nashville and people were really into the show. These guys
                    are the real thing. They can play. And it's just so cool to hear funk
                    live and played so damn well. They're touring now. Catch them if you
                    can.

                    Very cool. I didn't realize they were a touring band. For some reason, I
                    thought they were only a studio band, though now that I think about it,
                    I dunno what gave me that impression. The record's fun, my fave thing in
                    that genre since some of the old Booker T records.

                    dp