Re: Yawn Yawn Yawns

  • Dan Rigney
    Message 1 of 38 , Mar 5, 2003
      --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Lisa" <lmerlin01@y...> wrote:

      > > > Incidentally talking of overrated bands, the following night I
      > caught
      > > > YYY live. What a disappointment.
      > >
      > > I'm referring to them lately as the Yawn Yawn Yawns.
      > >
      > > Dan "yawn" Rigney
      >
      > The Yawn Yawn Yawns. Heh heh. I agree from what I have heard of
      > their recorded music. Why all the hype?

      Well connected, looks good on film, paid for.

      I repeat, paid for.

      Dan "I feel my NYC cynicism setting in" Rigney
    • Steve Gardner
      Message 38 of 38 , Mar 7, 2003
        Mine wasn't scented, dammit. If it had been, it would have been one
        of the best things about the record, and I say this as a damned big
        Damned fan. Give me Machine Gun Etiquette or the Black Album any ol'
        day.
        ===
        I think the album is worth having just for "Ignite". I think one of the big
        problems with Strawberries is that it was produced really poorly (by Hugh
        Jones, who was producing a ton of stuff at the time) and everything sound
        muddy and unexciting.

        My favorite Damned albums are 1. Machine Gun Ettiquette, and 2. Damned
        Damned Damned. Thirdly, I'd take a mixture of their live albums (Live at
        Shepperton, Live at Newcastle, Not The Captain's Bday Party and even their
        reunion CD, Final Damnation). The Damned were my favorite band for a very
        long time, but it was more because of their live shows than their albums
        (though MGE is one of the best records of all time.) I'm still sad, though,
        that the last time I saw them they sucked.

        =

        Speaking of seventies British punk, I see that the Buzzcocks are
        opening for Pearl Jam on their tour of the various concrete lean-to's
        with seats, uh I mean tin sheds in treeless fields, uh I mean glorious
        amphitheaters this summer. Yeah, I'll be there.
        ==

        The one problem with that is if I went to the show I must run the risk of
        actually hearing Pearl Jam again (like, when I'm sprinting out to the
        parking lot.) I'm sorry, but I just can't take that risk. I'll have to pass
        on this tour.

        steve