Re: new zine for old boomers

  • samchecker <mwyatt@columbus.rr.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
      --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, jeffj@b... wrote:
      I'd like to see a domestic zine that fell
      > somewhere between Harp and Mojo. Or even a decent American "rock"
      > zine for that matter. Now *there's* a dream job- owner and publisher
      of
      > Creem Magazine. Hhmmm, I wonder who my first "Creem Dream" would
      > be?

      Funny you should mention this. I just finished reading Jim DeRogatis'
      excellent bio of Lester Bangs, called Let It Blurt, and it made me
      really really nostalgic for the days when I just bought what Creem
      told me to buy. I owe so much to that magazine, and there's never
      been one like it since. I'd be a slave to a mag that was just half as
      good.

      Mark
    • jeffj@blast.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
        Not a bad idea. Though I'm not sure if it's a necessary one, as they're
        probably doing okay as an import. Still, in comparison to other magazines'
        content and cover price, you do get a lot for that $8. Sometimes too much.
        <g> I picked up the current issue of Harp (Cat Power cover) and while it
        looks nice, the content and depth of the articles were (for my taste) kinda
        lacking and fluffy. And then there's Mojo, where you might get a dozen
        pages containing a warts-and-all history of some cult band. Nice if you dig
        'em, too much if you don't care. I'd like to see a domestic zine that fell
        somewhere between Harp and Mojo. Or even a decent American "rock"
        zine for that matter. Now *there's* a dream job- owner and publisher of
        Creem Magazine. Hhmmm, I wonder who my first "Creem Dream" would
        be?

        Jeff J

        Quoting "samchecker <mwyatt@...>"
        <mwyatt@...>:
        > I'd be happier if they'd just find a domestic printer for Mojo,
        > frankly. Or at least find somebody to send them domestically so it
        > wouldn't cost $8 an issue... There's your new job, Jeff!

        This mail sent through IMP: email.blast.net
      • flcsoda <soda@nashvegas.com>
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
          >I'd like to see a domestic zine that fell somewhere between Harp and
          Mojo.

          anyone have any opinions on Paste? (the magazine, you jokers)

          Later...
          CK
        • Steve Gardner
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
            >anyone have any opinions on Paste? (the magazine, you jokers)

            I prefer something a bit more sophomoric. There's a little too much music
            for grown-ups in that mag.

            They also misspelled Rilo Kily in their headline. Whoops.

            steve