Re: new zine for old boomers

  • samchecker <mwyatt@columbus.rr.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4 8:07 AM
      --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff J <jeffj@b...>"
      <jeffj@b...> wrote:

      > NEW MUSIC MAGAZINE READIES FOR FALL LAUNCH
      > 'Good Music' Looks to Appeal to the Over 30 Fans
      > By Jon Fine

      Gee, I don't suppose these guys looked at the import sales of a
      certain Limey mag, did they?

      I'd be happier if they'd just find a domestic printer for Mojo,
      frankly. Or at least find somebody to send them domestically so it
      wouldn't cost $8 an issue... There's your new job, Jeff!

      Mark
    • samchecker <mwyatt@columbus.rr.com>
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4 8:43 AM
        --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, jeffj@b... wrote:
        I'd like to see a domestic zine that fell
        > somewhere between Harp and Mojo. Or even a decent American "rock"
        > zine for that matter. Now *there's* a dream job- owner and publisher
        of
        > Creem Magazine. Hhmmm, I wonder who my first "Creem Dream" would
        > be?

        Funny you should mention this. I just finished reading Jim DeRogatis'
        excellent bio of Lester Bangs, called Let It Blurt, and it made me
        really really nostalgic for the days when I just bought what Creem
        told me to buy. I owe so much to that magazine, and there's never
        been one like it since. I'd be a slave to a mag that was just half as
        good.

        Mark
      • jeffj@blast.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4 9:00 AM
          Not a bad idea. Though I'm not sure if it's a necessary one, as they're
          probably doing okay as an import. Still, in comparison to other magazines'
          content and cover price, you do get a lot for that $8. Sometimes too much.
          <g> I picked up the current issue of Harp (Cat Power cover) and while it
          looks nice, the content and depth of the articles were (for my taste) kinda
          lacking and fluffy. And then there's Mojo, where you might get a dozen
          pages containing a warts-and-all history of some cult band. Nice if you dig
          'em, too much if you don't care. I'd like to see a domestic zine that fell
          somewhere between Harp and Mojo. Or even a decent American "rock"
          zine for that matter. Now *there's* a dream job- owner and publisher of
          Creem Magazine. Hhmmm, I wonder who my first "Creem Dream" would
          be?

          Jeff J

          Quoting "samchecker <mwyatt@...>"
          <mwyatt@...>:
          > I'd be happier if they'd just find a domestic printer for Mojo,
          > frankly. Or at least find somebody to send them domestically so it
          > wouldn't cost $8 an issue... There's your new job, Jeff!

          This mail sent through IMP: email.blast.net
        • flcsoda <soda@nashvegas.com>
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4 9:02 AM
            >I'd like to see a domestic zine that fell somewhere between Harp and
            Mojo.

            anyone have any opinions on Paste? (the magazine, you jokers)

            Later...
            CK
          • Steve Gardner
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 4 10:42 AM
              >anyone have any opinions on Paste? (the magazine, you jokers)

              I prefer something a bit more sophomoric. There's a little too much music
              for grown-ups in that mag.

              They also misspelled Rilo Kily in their headline. Whoops.

              steve