new zine for old boomers

  • Jeff J <jeffj@blast.net>
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
      NEW MUSIC MAGAZINE READIES FOR FALL LAUNCH
      'Good Music' Looks to Appeal to the Over 30 Fans
      By Jon Fine

      NEW YORK (AdAge.com) -- The first two issues of a new music
      magazine, tentatively called Good Music, are set to appear late
      this year under a deal, to be announced this week, between
      Good Music Media, and World Publications.

      Good Music, which is being developed by ex-Spin and Vibe
      executives John Rollins, Alan Light and Dana Sacher, has
      secured a deal for business and back-office services with World
      Publications, its executives say, to permit publishing its two
      issues.

      Should all go well with those issues and with ongoing
      fund-raising, the title will publish six times in 2004, said Mr.
      Rollins, the CEO and co-founder of the title's parent company,
      Good Music Media. World Publications publishes
      special-interest titles including Saveur and Garden Design.

      Messrs. Rollins and Light left Spin
      last year to begin work on Good Music, a title aimed at older
      music consumers. Mr. Rollins cited data from the Recording
      Industry Association of America that contends adults over age 30
      now account for 56% of the music purchases in America.

      "This generation wants to maintain a contemporary relationship
      with pop culture, including music. And they need a guide," said
      Mr. Rollins, who is 39.

      "The things we'll most stay away from,' said Mr. Light, the
      company's editor in chief, "is the bubble-gum stuff," such as
      Britney Spears and 'N Sync, and "the new metal" bands such as
      Limp Bizkit.

      Mr. Light, who is 36, said he left Spin because he "didn't want to
      be 40 and fighting for a Slipknot cover," referring to the garishly
      theatrical Iowa-based new-metal band.

      Mr. Rollins said the current music titles, such as Wenner Media's
      Rolling Stone, Spin, Vibe and Dennis Publishing's Blender, are
      all swinging for the same demographic sweet spot, 18 to 24 year
      olds. But Good Music would be different: Likely profile subjects,
      Mr. Light said, range from Neil Young to chanteuse and current
      multiple Grammy Award winner Norah Jones.

      Good Music's means thus far are decidedly modest. An early
      round of financing netted around $500,000 from friends and
      family investors. There is no cash involved in the World deal,
      said World Publications CEO Terry Snow. Mr. Rollins said thus
      far he and those who are involved with the project -- which also
      includes Ms. Sacher, a former Vibe/Spin Ventures general
      manager who is now Good Music Media's chief operating officer,
      and Jay Adams, a former Spin ad director and now Good Music
      Media's ad director -- were not yet salaried. "We don't have
      enough money to pay ourselves," he said.

      Mr. Snow said World, in return for its current support, had an
      option on a future equity stake.

      Mr. Rollins said Good Music would publish September and
      December issues with print runs of about 200,000, and that a
      long-term circulation goal was around 330,000. He envisioned
      the title's advertisers to come form those advertising in
      enthusiast titles like automotive and consumer electronics
      appealing to men 30 and older, as well as endemic music
      advertising.

      The publishing environment for magazines remains difficult, but
      it hasn't deterred other independent launches from plunging
      ahead. In late January executives at Radar, the hip and
      cosmopolitan title helmed by former Talk editorial director Maer
      Roshan, told Ad Age of its plans to launch in mid-April.
    • samchecker <mwyatt@columbus.rr.com>
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
        --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff J <jeffj@b...>"
        <jeffj@b...> wrote:

        > NEW MUSIC MAGAZINE READIES FOR FALL LAUNCH
        > 'Good Music' Looks to Appeal to the Over 30 Fans
        > By Jon Fine

        Gee, I don't suppose these guys looked at the import sales of a
        certain Limey mag, did they?

        I'd be happier if they'd just find a domestic printer for Mojo,
        frankly. Or at least find somebody to send them domestically so it
        wouldn't cost $8 an issue... There's your new job, Jeff!

        Mark
      • samchecker <mwyatt@columbus.rr.com>
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
          --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, jeffj@b... wrote:
          I'd like to see a domestic zine that fell
          > somewhere between Harp and Mojo. Or even a decent American "rock"
          > zine for that matter. Now *there's* a dream job- owner and publisher
          of
          > Creem Magazine. Hhmmm, I wonder who my first "Creem Dream" would
          > be?

          Funny you should mention this. I just finished reading Jim DeRogatis'
          excellent bio of Lester Bangs, called Let It Blurt, and it made me
          really really nostalgic for the days when I just bought what Creem
          told me to buy. I owe so much to that magazine, and there's never
          been one like it since. I'd be a slave to a mag that was just half as
          good.

          Mark
        • jeffj@blast.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
            Not a bad idea. Though I'm not sure if it's a necessary one, as they're
            probably doing okay as an import. Still, in comparison to other magazines'
            content and cover price, you do get a lot for that $8. Sometimes too much.
            <g> I picked up the current issue of Harp (Cat Power cover) and while it
            looks nice, the content and depth of the articles were (for my taste) kinda
            lacking and fluffy. And then there's Mojo, where you might get a dozen
            pages containing a warts-and-all history of some cult band. Nice if you dig
            'em, too much if you don't care. I'd like to see a domestic zine that fell
            somewhere between Harp and Mojo. Or even a decent American "rock"
            zine for that matter. Now *there's* a dream job- owner and publisher of
            Creem Magazine. Hhmmm, I wonder who my first "Creem Dream" would
            be?

            Jeff J

            Quoting "samchecker <mwyatt@...>"
            <mwyatt@...>:
            > I'd be happier if they'd just find a domestic printer for Mojo,
            > frankly. Or at least find somebody to send them domestically so it
            > wouldn't cost $8 an issue... There's your new job, Jeff!

            This mail sent through IMP: email.blast.net
          • flcsoda <soda@nashvegas.com>
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
              >I'd like to see a domestic zine that fell somewhere between Harp and
              Mojo.

              anyone have any opinions on Paste? (the magazine, you jokers)

              Later...
              CK
            • Steve Gardner
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 4, 2003
                >anyone have any opinions on Paste? (the magazine, you jokers)

                I prefer something a bit more sophomoric. There's a little too much music
                for grown-ups in that mag.

                They also misspelled Rilo Kily in their headline. Whoops.

                steve