Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on February 28, 2003

  • jwmoosefan2001 <johnw@cmsc.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2003
      Playlist for Memphis to Manchester on February 28, 2003

      Key: Artist - Title - Album - +=Request *=New
      [Notes]

      O.V. Wright - I'd Rather Be Blind Crippled & Crazy - Giant Of
      Southern Soul 1965-1975
      [ One of the greatest southern soul singers ever - this is the
      best O.V. Wright compilation available ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Bob & Earl - Harlem Shuffle - Beg, Scream, & Shout
      [ Beg, Scream, & Shout is still my favorite box set ever - Six
      CDs of nothing but soul gems ]

      Ike & Tina Turner - Funkier Than A Mosquita's Tweeter - The
      Best Of Ike & Tina Turner
      [ Worth playing just for the title of the song ]

      The Soul Clan - That's How It Feels - Sanctified Soul
      [ It's almost too much entertainment - Arthur Conley, Ben E.
      King, Solomon Burke, Joe Tex, & Don Covay all one track ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Brogues - I Ain't No Miracle Worker - Nuggets - Volume 1
      [ Yet another track from another must-own box set ]

      Bobby Fuller Four - Thunder Reef - I Fought The Law / KRLA:
      King Of The Wheels
      [ Previously unreleased instrumental from the Bobby Fuller Four ]

      Los Lobos - One Time One Night - By The Light Of The Moon
      [ Track from the T-Bone Burnett produced album from probably the
      best band ever to come out of Los Angeles ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Television - Venus - Marquee Moon+
      [ Great e-mail request by Ken from Maryland ]

      Bettie Serveert - Cut 'n Dried - Log 22*
      [ After first listen, a few songs with beautiful melodies, some
      of Carol van Dijk's best singing, and more filler than I'd like to
      hear from a Bettie Serveert album - They are in Chicago on April 4th
      which is the closest they get to St. Louis, unfortnately ]

      The Soundtrack Of Our Lives - Dow Jones Syndrome - Gimme Five!
      EP
      [ This song just flat out rocks ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      The Nerves - Hangin' On The Telephone - The Nerves EP
      [ An EP of four great songs ]

      Camper Van Beethoven - When I Win The Lottery - Greatest Hits
      Played Faster

      The Libertines - Vertigo - Up The Bracket*
      [ The best new release I've heard so far in 2003 ]

      -------- - -------- - --------

      Ray Wylie Hubbard - Screw You, We're from Texas - Growl*+
      [ Roy Kasten brought in this CD while I was on the air and asked
      me to play this cut. It got one complaint from a caller who said it
      was mean-spirited. It's all Roy's fault. ]

      Shelby Lynne - Life Is Bad - I Am Shelby Lynne
      [ Any fans of Dusty Springfield and/or country soul need to own
      this album ]

      Son Volt - Tear Stained Eye - Trace
      [ One of the best alt-country (oh, how I hate that term) songs
      ever ]