For the one and a half people here who care...

  • samchecker <mwyatt@columbus.rr.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2003
      I went to Columbus' Wexner Center to see the Ladytron/Simian show last
      night. I wasn't too juiced by Simian--a good singer and decent
      musicianship can't cover up a lack of hooky songs--but I've seen far,
      far worse opening bands.

      Ladytron kicked my ass. They've beefed up their two guy/two gal lineup
      with a bass player and drummer for their debut live-band tour, to
      really good effect. I haven't seen so many vintage synths on stage
      since...no wait, I've *never* seen that many vintage synths on stage
      at once. The age of those keyboards proved to be a bit of a problem,
      as one of them kept up a kind of low bleating sound between every damn
      song. Kinda funny, as nobody on stage acknowledged the fact that they
      had a malfunctioning piece of equipment up there. Once you get past
      the inherent goofiness of the four main band members all wearing
      matching Red Army-style grey outfits (y'know, matching outfits never
      bothered me with DEVO), you get a ton of great songs, including my
      favorite from their recent CD Light and Magic, "Blue Jeans". The gal
      who does most of the lead singing (heck if I can remember her name)
      is, if anything, an even better warbler live than she is on disc. The
      band turned their single "Seventeen" into a set-ending noisefest and
      ended up getting two encores for their troubles. The only way they
      could have improved the evening is to have actually done a Roxy cover.

      This tour's going to be in Chicago tonight (Friday) and in Seattle
      next Tuesday, if you're one of the one and a half people here who
      cares...

      Mark
    • Carl Abraham Zimring
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2003
        --On Friday, February 28, 2003 2:14 PM +0000 "samchecker
        <mwyatt@...>" <mwyatt@...> wrote:

        > I haven't seen so many vintage synths on stage
        > since...no wait, I've *never* seen that many vintage synths on stage
        > at once.

        Not to be the best imitation of a gearhead I can possibly be, but what
        stuff did they have? Any non-keyboard synths?

        Carl "closet ARP Axxe player" Z.
      • samchecker <mwyatt@columbus.rr.com>
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 28, 2003
          --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Abraham Zimring <cz28@a...>
          wrote:

          > --On Friday, February 28, 2003 2:14 PM +0000 "samchecker
          > <mwyatt@c...>" <mwyatt@c...> wrote:
          >
          > > I haven't seen so many vintage synths on stage
          > > since...no wait, I've *never* seen that many vintage synths on
          stage
          > > at once.
          >
          > Not to be the best imitation of a gearhead I can possibly be, but
          what
          > stuff did they have? Any non-keyboard synths?
          >
          > Carl "closet ARP Axxe player" Z.

          Heh, heh...I had an Axxe too...it was the only one I could afford back
          in the 80's, and it was used at that. Some of the stupider sounds on
          early Great Plains stuff was made on that keyboard.

          No non-keyboard synths, as far as I could tell, but they had a *ton*
          of late-70's/early 80's analog stuff...a Roland Juno, Sequential
          Circuits Pro-One (the little brother of the Prophet, I believe), some
          old Korg stuff I couldn't ID, a Jen SX-1000 (a late-70's Italian synth
          I'm not familiar with...about the size of a Micro-Moog), and two of
          this thing whose identity I'm dying to figure out. It was in a
          smallish (about 2 foot high) black L-shaped case with a two-octave
          keyboard.

          Ooh, must peruse synthmuseum.com more now...the rest of you can go
          back to sleep.

          Mark