new releases this month

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2002
      There are some promising titles on July's release schedule. I'm quite
      curious to hear Linda Thompson's first album in 17 years, especially after
      she was coaxed back into performing by David Thomas for his "Mirror Man"
      project.

      Carl Z.

      ***

      From ICE <http://www.icemagazine.com/dates/release184.shtm>:

      July 2

      Ron Carter Stardust (Blue Note)

      Cinerama Torino (co-produced by Steve Albini) (Manifesto)

      Dave Douglas The Tiny Bell Trio (Songlines)

      Jack Logan & Bob Kimbell Woodshedding (Parasol)

      Lee "Scratch" Perry The Upsetter Shop, Vol. 3: Baffling Smoke Signal
      (Heartbeat)

      The Possibilities Way Out! (Parasol)

      July 9

      Bobby Bare, Jr. Young Criminals' Starvation League (Bloodshot)

      Ian Gomm Rock 'N' Roll Heart (Nanci Griffiths guests) (Gommsongs)

      Jason Loewenstein (of Sebadoh) At Sixes and Sevens (Sub Pop)

      Dolly Parton Halos & Horns (Sugar Hill)

      Kevin Russell's Junker (of the Gourds) Buttermilk & Rifles (Jon Dee Graham
      guests) (Sugar Hill)

      July 16

      Drive-by Truckers Southern Rock Opera (two CDs) (Lost Highway)

      Flaming Lips Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (Reprise)

      Calvin Johnson What Was Me (K)

      Wayne Kramer Adult World (MuscleTone)

      Marah Float Away with the Friday Night Gods (E-Squared/Artemis)

      Roscoe Mitchell Song for My Sister (Pi)

      Jul 23

      Solomon Burke Don't Give Up on Me (Fat Possum)

      Mark Olson & the Creekdippers December's Child (DualTone)

      Public Enemy Revolverlution (Slamjamz/Koch)

      Joe Louis Walker In the Morning (Telarc)

      VA sonar2002 (two CDs w/Arto Lindsay, Yo La Tengo, S.I. Futures and Carl
      Cox) (Milan)

      July 30

      Johnny Horton Makes History (S&P)

      Beth Orton Daybreaker (Heavenly/Astralwerks)

      Greg Osby Inner Circle (Blue Note/Metro Blue)

      Dave Pirner (of Soul Asylum) Faces and Names (Ultimatum Music)

      Linda Thompson Fashionably Late (Rounder)

      Ralph White (ex-Bad Livers) Trash Fish (Terminus)
    • Carl Abraham Zimring
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
        >From ICE. Looks like a strong month; I bet there's something of interest
        for everyone reading this list.

        Carl Z.

        ***

        http://www.icemagazine.com/dates/release191.shtm

        February 4

        The Damnwells (Whiskeytown drummer Steven Terry) PMR +1 (In Music We Trust)

        Deke Dickerson In 3 Dimensions (Major Label)

        Jon Langford and His Sadies Mayors of the Moon (Bloodshot)

        Johnny Marr + the Healers Bloomslang (iMUSIC)

        Scenic The Acid Gospel Experience (IPR/Hidden Agenda/Parasol)

        February 11

        Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Nocturama (Anti/Epitaph)

        Tim Easton Break Your Mother's Heart (New West)

        John Fahey Red Cross (Revenant)

        Ted Leo & the Pharmacists Hearts of Oak (Lookout!)

        Tammy Faye Starlite & the Angels of Mercy Used Country Female (Diesel Only)

        George Strait For the Last Time - Live from the Astrodome (MCA Nashville)

        Supergrass Life on Other Planets (Island)

        VA The American Song-Poem Anthology: Do You Know the Difference Between Big
        Wood and Brush (Bar/None)

        VA The Songs of Hank Williams Jr.: A Bocephus Celebration (Warner
        Bros./Curb)

        VA We're a Happy Family: A Tribute to the Ramones (w/Eddie Vedder, Green
        Day, Red Hot Chili Peppers and others) (DV8/Columbia)

        February 18

        Anti-Pop Consortium Anti-Pop Vs. Matthew Shipp (Thirsty Ear)

        Calexico Feast of Wire (Quarterstick)

        Cat Power You Are Free (Matador)

        The Datsuns The Datsuns (V2)

        The Dirty Three She Has No Strings Apollo (Touch and Go)

        Dave Douglas Freak In (Bluebird)

        The Gadjits Our Time to... (EP) (RCA)

        The Go-Betweens Bright Yellow, Bright Orange (Jetset)

        Hayseed Dixie Kiss My Grass: A Hillbilly Tribute to KISS (DualTone)

        Daniel Johnston & Mark Linkous Fear Yourself (Gammon)

        Tim Lee (ex-Windbreakers) Under the House (Paisley Pop)

        Rye Coalition Jersey Girls (EP) (Tiger Style)

        Shipping News Three-Four (Quarterstick)

        Styx Cyclorama (Sanctuary/CMC Int'l)

        February 25

        B3 Bombers featuring Clyde Stubblefield Live at the Green Mill (Alltribe)

        Doyle Bramhall Fitchburg Street (Yep Roc)

        Anthony Braxton Four Compositions 2000 (Delmark)

        Willy DeVille Acoustic Trio Live in Berlin (two CDs) (Eagle)

        The Funky Meters Fiyo at the Fillmore Vol. 1 (Fuel 2000)

        Peter Green Splinter Group Reaching the Cold 100 (Eagle)

        Lyle Lovett Smile (MCA)

        Massive Attack 100th Window (Virgin)

        The Notwist Neon Golden (Domino)

        Jeff Parker Like-Coping (Delmark)

        Adrian Sherwood Never Trust a Hippy (Real World)

        Tobin Sprout Lost Planets & Phantom Voices (Recordhead/Wigwam)

        Steve Turre One 4 J: Paying Homage to J.J. Johnson (Telarc Jazz)

        Wilco & the Minus Five Down with Wilco (Yep Roc)

        Peanut Butter Wolf Badmeaningood (remixes of Grandmaster Flash, Human
        League, Iron Butterfly and others) (Ultimate Dilemma)
      • Jeff Jakowlew
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
          And here's some other new stuff from the Midheaven mailer:

          JIM MIZE "No Tell Motel" (Stump Grinder)
          A scarred and broken new album from Arkansas honky-tonk and blues
          songsmith JIM MIZE (who backs CEDEL DAVIS). A collection of
          half-remembered stories of infidelity, road trips and hard living
          delivered with great slide guitar and a voice damaged by whisky,
          cigarettes and too many long nights. Features backing from BOB EGAN
          (WILCO, BLUE RODEO) as well as members of BLUE MOUNTAIN. Produced by
          BRUCE WATSON for his Fat Possum offshoot, Stump Grinder.

          FRENCH TOAST "Bug Man" (Arrest)
          The debut release from this engaging new duo comprised of JAMES
          CANTY (NATION OF ULYSSES, CUPID CAR CLUB, MAKE-UP) and JERRY BUSHER (ALL
          SCARS, FUGAZI, FIDELITY JONES). A blend of guitars, keyboards, drums,
          percussion, samplers, sequencers, and haunting vocals that have earned
          comparisons to Mission of Burma, Savage Republic, Captain Beefheart,
          Wipers, and Wire.

          ALL SCARS "Luna Magus" (Dischord/Mass Particles)
          The third full-length album from Washington, DC genre-goosers
          CHUCK BETTIS (META-MATICS, TRANCE AND THE ARCADE, Mass Particles
          label), AMY DOMINGUES (THRENODY ENSEMBLE, MARY TIMONY, GARLAND OF HOURS,
          TELEGRAPH MELTS), and JERRY BUSHER (FIDELITY JONES, FUGAZI, LAS
          MORDIDAS, CLOCK STOPPERS, FRENCH TOAST). A raucous blend of shifting
          sounds and styles that span the range of heavy metal, Korean shamanism,
          West African drumming, techno, country, and Hasidic
          traditions performed with vocals, trumpets, cello, and drums. Features
          guest appearances from reedsman EVAN RAPPORT and vocalist
          DRE THIBERT.

          JOAN OF ARC "So Much Staying Alive and Lovelessness" (Jade Tree)
          The fifth full-length album from Chicago all-stars JOAN OF ARC and
          frontman TIM KINSELLA (CAP'N JAZZ, OWLS, FRIEND/ENEMY, EVERYONE). A
          fabulous collection of songs culled from a variety of sources-home
          recorded computer sketches, collaborations with kindred spirits,
          oddities, and half-fleshed ideas-masterfully built into some of the
          band's best work. Includes contributions from members of CALIFONE,
          ISOTOPE 217, BOAS, PINEBENDER, RED RED MEAT, NEED NEW BODY, CHICAGO
          UNDERGROUND DUO, and more.

          SOUND OF RAILS "Night Time Simulcast" (Caulfield)
          The second full-length album from the Omaha, Nebraska-based trio
          of CHRIS PALMQUIST, JOHN KESTNER and ERIC ERNST. A dynamic collection of
          songs that range from the atonally aggressive "Keipher" to the
          lulling dark rhythms of "Rulo," all expertly crafted with sophisticated
          arrangements and surprising twists and turns, influenced by bands like
          June of '44, Fugazi and Rodan.

          YOUTH GONE MAD & DEE DEE RAMONE (Trend Is Dead)
          A collaborative effort between YOUTH GONE MAD and the late DEE DEE
          RAMONE recorded just before Ramone's death-his last studio project.
          Begun as a painting project between Dee Dee and YGM frontman PAUL
          KOSTABI, the music soon followed as the two forged a creative bond.
          Fifteen tracks of zany, high-energy punk, including standards like
          "Twist & Shout" and "Blitzkrieg Bop," as well as some songs Dee Dee
          penned but never released in the US.

          OUT CROWD "Go On, Give a Damn" (Orange Sky)
          The debut full-length smoker from this infectious vintage pop
          combo led by BRIAN JONESTOWN MASSACRE co-founder and co-songwriter MATT
          HOLLYWOOD, and featuring members of RICHMOND FONTAINE and THE HARLOTS.
          An edgy and soul-bared blend of 1960s pop à la Byrds and Kinks and
          shake-it-up BJM-styled rollick.

          VOLTA SOUND "This is the Yin and the Yang" (Orange Sky)
          Cleveland's prolific the VOLTA SOUND follow up March 2001's critically
          acclaimed My American Girl and November 2001's Fast Light With Radio
          Signal EP with their most powerful recording to date. While the
          aforementioned releases were fantastic collections of songs, this one
          flows like a true album, a cosmic space rock masterpiece, holding its
          own with the likes of Spacemen 3's Perfect Prescription and the Brian
          Jonestown Massacre's Their Satanic Majesties Second Request."

          STARS AS EYES "Enemy of Fun" (Tigerbeat 6)
          The second album from Austin (by way of Providence) indie rock and IDM
          thrillers STARS AS EYES. Eleven tracks of pure musical reinvention and
          rebirth, composed on piano and guitar, and then fleshed-out with
          pounding drums, samples, and electronics. Heavier, thicker and more
          intense than their previous output, the record runs from minimal to
          psychedelic to IDM to krautrock to electro to full-on Providence rock.
          Dynamic, inspired
          and simultaneously searing and beautiful.

          BROKEBACK "Looks At The Bird" (Thrill Jockey)
          The third album from the bass-driven duo of DOUGLAS McCOMBS
          (TORTOISE, ELEVENTH DREAM DAY, PULLMAN) and NOEL KUPERSMITH (CHICAGO
          UNDERGROUND TRIO/ORCHESTRA, MONADE). Nine tracks that forego the duo's
          previous more "loose" approach in favor of more traditional songwriting
          structures, performed with six-string bass, guitar,
          double bass, sequencers, marimba, vibes, organ, and more. Includes
          guest appearances from STEREOLAB's LAETICIA SADIER and the late MARY
          HANSEN, as well as members of TORTOISE, SEA AND CAKE, and the CHICAGO
          UNDERGROUND DUO.
        • Jeff Jakowlew
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
            > Tammy Faye Starlite & the Angels of Mercy Used Country Female (Diesel Only)

            Or- When Good Labels Go Bad.
            Okay, I'm not a fan of TFS and I don't want to start a slagging session
            over here, but for me, Diesel Only has become quite a disappointing
            vanity label in the past few years. Between the unlistenable Will Rigby
            cd and yawners from Joe Flood, Amy Allison and Laura Cantrell (whose
            first cd I dug but really wasn't interested in more of the same with the
            second, especially with no improvement in her kinda charming but weak
            vocals) and now TFS, it's become a slumming ground for Jeremy Tepper's
            friends and family, regardless of whether they have a decent cd's worth
            of tunes to release. Which is too bad, as there was an excitement in the
            air of new musical discoveries with the first few Diesel Only
            collections and also collaborations with Bloodshot Records in live
            events both in NY and Chicago. The complacency that's bogged down
            Bloodshot is even more apparent with Diesel Only. Diesel Only has made a
            name for itself, but now seems uninterested in breaking any new ground
            or hoisting any new acts upon listeners that are anxious for different
            sounds in the roots rock/ alt.county genres. Oh well.

            > VA We're a Happy Family: A Tribute to the Ramones (w/Eddie Vedder, Green Day, Red Hot Chili Peppers and others) (DV8/Columbia)

            Or- Why Did The Good Ramones Die Young?
            So who is the intended audience for this tribute? I can't see long time
            Ramones fans having much interest in a lineup that reads like a
            Billboard chart from the mid 90's and I don't see why any current
            MTV-geared kids would care about it. And why is there no participation
            from the Ramones peers- folks like Blondie or Joan Jett or Television or
            the Dictators or Motorhead or X or Nick Lowe or Elvis Costello or Dave
            Alvin or yeah, Joe Strummer? And how about some current acts such as the
            Hives, Derailers, Hank 3, Supersuckers, Neko Case? Dwight Yoakum
            might've done a good take on "Questionably." This whole thing stinks of
            a thoughtless, ill-conceived cash-in by Johnny Ramone (I figure Rob
            Zombie would've known better) and maybe that's the reason why none of
            the acts I listed above are involved. If nothing else, I'm thinking the
            cd booklet might be cool (Rob Zombie has always done a nice job on the
            booklets for his own releases) and that's the only reason I'd look for
            this in the used bins.

            Jeff J
          • Nina Melechen <melechen@earthlink.net>
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
              --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Abraham Zimring <cz28@a...>
              wrote:
              > February 4
              >
              > The Damnwells (Whiskeytown drummer Steven Terry) PMR +1 (In Music We
              Trust)

              Carl, I don't know whether you're aware that the Damnwell's lead
              guitarist is David Chernis from the late lamented (at least by you
              and me) Star City.<sigh>

              Nina M.