Re: Pittsburgh music (was Donnie Ad Nauseum)

  • fungusyoung <sweeney.mt@verizon.net>
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2003
      Different spin on this thread.... whatever happened to a couple of
      Pittsburgh mid/late 80's bands: Half-Life and A.T.S.? Just curious.

      Also, can anyone tell me anything about Soda Jerk? I have their last
      disc, but am kinda curious about the new one & how they are live.
      Thanks for any info.
    • Carl Abraham Zimring
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2003
        --On Tuesday, February 4, 2003 1:12 AM +0000 "fungusyoung
        <sweeney.mt@...>" <sweeney.mt@...> wrote:

        > Different spin on this thread.... whatever happened to a couple of
        > Pittsburgh mid/late 80's bands: Half-Life and A.T.S.? Just curious.

        ATS play around from time to time; I think they were at Club Cafe last
        week. Half-Life, funnily enough, did a reunion show in December. Dunno if
        they have plans for future activities.

        > Also, can anyone tell me anything about Soda Jerk? I have their last
        > disc, but am kinda curious about the new one & how they are live.
        > Thanks for any info.

        Haven't heard the new one yet, but they open for about half of the bands
        I've seen at Club Cafe over the past year. Solid, twangy rock with pop
        hooks. I've heard plenty of worse opening bands around here.

        Carl Z.
      • Dave Purcell
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2003
          And yet another spin -- weren't the Rave-Ups originally from Pittsburgh?
          I've been listening to "Chance" and "Book of Your Regrets" a bunch the
          last couple of weeks. They were a criminally underappreciated band.
          Jimmer had a band called the Lovin Miserys together a couple years ago
          with the guitarist from Concrete Blonde, but now he's back playing with
          Terry Wilson from the Rave-Ups. Terry is a mofo of rootsy guitar
          playing.

          How about the Clarks, aren't they Pittsburgh as well? I heard their
          first record and liked it well enough -- sort of Rave-Ups light. I
          haven't heard their new stuff, but they appear to have gone the
          teenybopper route...they actually played a mall here a year or so ago.

          dp

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2003
            --On Tuesday, February 4, 2003 9:26 AM -0500 Dave Purcell <dave@...>
            wrote:

            > And yet another spin -- weren't the Rave-Ups originally from Pittsburgh?

            Jeez, I don't know. If they were, they haven't been terribly conspicious
            around here since I came to town.

            > How about the Clarks, aren't they Pittsburgh as well? I heard their
            > first record and liked it well enough -- sort of Rave-Ups light. I
            > haven't heard their new stuff, but they appear to have gone the
            > teenybopper route...they actually played a mall here a year or so ago.

            The Clarks are from Pittsburgh and play out a lot. Can't say I'm a fan,
            but they have quite a few around here.