Los Lobos in Cinti, Feb 2

  • Dave Purcell
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3 6:07 AM
      Warning: setlist below.

      Los Lobos were stunning, as always, last night. The combination of
      musicianship, songwriting, professionalism, charm, and humility never
      ceases to amaze me. They had a new drummer and percussionist in tow, but
      the sound never felt bloated despite the lineup being expanded to seven
      pieces; rather, it lent new firepower to the more traditional Latino
      pieces. Hidalgo's voice soared as ever and he shredded his Tele and
      accordion. Cesar Rosas remains the definition of cool. Steve Berlin
      looked like a mad prof switching between keys and sax. Louie Perez
      remains a little superfluous live, but added some nice guitar licks and
      steady rhythm playing.

      My only complaint -- and it's a very slight one -- is that the setlist
      went a little heavy of jammy blues and light on Kiko experimentalism.
      But it was a sleepy Sunday night in a small college theater auditorium
      (450 capacity), so they were working the crowd with the bluesier stuff.

      It was fun to see how loose they were. Working without a setlist, they'd
      start by either Rosas or Hidalgo yelling out a title or playing a riff
      and off they went. They made it thru a verse of "Honey Don't" before
      Rosas bailed -- Hidalgo said they'd been to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
      the day before and they were inspired to give it a shot. Similarly, I
      saw Hidalgo showing the percussionist and drummer the rhythm pattern to
      "300 Pounds of Heavenly Joy" as they walked out for the encore. Great
      stuff.

      Cordero opened and were great, absolutely winning over the crowd. They
      veered between Lobos-style rocked-up trad and Feelies-esque rock. When
      they combined the two, it was very special. I'm anxious to hear the
      record today. Ani Cordero, the lead singer, used to be in Man Or
      Astroman.

      I used to joke that Los Lobos belong in the Smithsonian because they are
      such a wonderful musical treasure. And now I'm half-serious: rather than
      honoring them after they die, have the Smithsonian sponsor their tour
      and let them spread the gospel on the gov't dime by playing free shows.
      People need to hear the Wolves.

      Set list below.

      dp

      Covers are denoted by >.

      02-Feb-03 Parrish Auditorium, Miami University - Hamilton, Hamilton OH

      When The Circus Comes
      One Time, One Night
      Maricela
      Malaqúe>
      Maria Christina
      Someday
      The Big Ranch
      Luz De Mi Vida
      Hearts of Stone
      Done Gone Blue
      Don't Worry Baby
      I Got Loaded (w/Lovelight verse)>
      Not Fade Away>
      Bertha
      This Time into Wait In Vain> and Sitting In The Park>
      Honey Don't> (aborted)
      Carabina 30-30
      Ay Te Dejo en San Antonio
      Cumbia Raza