Re: reissues out this month

  • Aleksandar Lazarevic
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2003
      >From ICE. Looks like a strong month; I bet there's something of interest for everyone
      reading this list.

      Tammy Faye Starlite & the Angels of Mercy Used Country Female (Diesel Only)
      ABBA On and On (Polydor/Universal Special Products)

      i knew there'll be something for me : - )
      I simply adore TFS & ABBA. Especialy if both cds are in charger and play random songs from
      both artists. Perfect for throw up party : - )
      O.k. just joking (or i'm not joking). Glitterhouse will release new Friends of Dean
      Martinez & Woven Hand in February after amazing album by Timesbold. Here are some
      explanations:

      TIMESBOLD - Timesbold
      The closest reference points are probably Palace or Songs:Ohia, due in no
      small part to the gorgeous vocals. Cracking and emotive, full and rich. But
      unlike those bands' purposeful minimalism and spare instrumentation,
      Timesbold don't shy away from introducing pianos, synthesisers, strange
      production techniques and lush vocal harmonies. Also, unlike their
      indie/country/folkie peers, they seem more interested in production,
      crafting spacious and epic soundscapes, replete with soaring strings and
      creepy minor key washes. Think Jason Molina, Will Oldham or Neil Young
      singing for the Flaming Lips or Mercury Rev, but with a more isolated and
      bleak country vibe: crackling campfires, broken hearts, wintery chills,
      bitter loneliness. Got it?

      FRIENDS OF DEAN MARTINEZ - Under The Waves
      The album everybody is desperately waiting for. Bill Elm and his mates took
      as much time as they needed to complete the follow up to the successful
      "Wichita Linemen" release of 2001. Not just another gem of
      desert-soundscapes, this new album goes far beyond the musical landscapes
      the Friends Of Dean Martinez have explored up til now.

      WOVEN HAND - Blush Music
      16 Horsepower leader David Eugene Edwards widens his musical horizon and
      brings us an album that merges the dry character of Woven Hand's
      self-titled debut with atmospheric, trance-like soundscapes. The basic
      tracks have been composed by Edwards for the recent performance of the
      highly acclaimed Brussel-based ballett "Ultimavez", who will tour the world
      with this program from the beginning of 2003 on. The score for their last
      program was written by David Byrne..

      + Munich records will release Anders Parker (of Varnaline) album. It's really good one.
      John Guilt - The mirrors and uncle Sam (February 11.)
      Dayna Kurtz - Postcards from downtown (March), then Johnny Dowd - Wire flowers (limited
      edition of 5000 copies). Wire flowers is session recorded before Wrong side of Memphis.

      "In the winter of 1996, i retreated into small room to write and record songs on my
      four-track. Many of those recordings found a home on my first album, "Wrong side of
      Memphis." The rest are here. Different versions of some of these songs are on "Pictures
      from Life's Other Side" and "The Pawnbroker's Wife" - but what you'll find here are the
      original bad seeds." Johnny Dowd

      Future farmer just released Virgil Shaw - Still falling.
      HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !

      All the best

      Aleksandar
      -i'm traveling faster than the speed of regret (Jim White) -
    • samchecker <oneriot@oneriot.com>
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2003
        --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Abraham Zimring <cz28@a...>
        wrote:
        > http://www.icemagazine.com/dates/vault191.shtm
        >

        > Creedence Clearwater Revisited Recollection (two CDs) (Hip-O)

        If this is what it sounds like, it'll be be the suckiest piece of suck
        since....well, maybe ever. CCR without John Fogerty--man, what a
        genius idea!

        > Schooly D Best of (Jive)

        Boy, there's a guy I haven't thought about in a zillion years. Bet one
        of the scariest rappers of the 80's sounds positively tame now...

        > The Lambrettas Da-a-a-ance - The Anthology (two CDs)
        (Sanctuary/Castle)

        Presumably the three people that weren't relatives of the band members
        will be happy now. What the f*ck? Crimony, 80's mod was one of the
        lamest subgenres ever, and Secret Affair sounded downright classic
        next to this crap.

        Mark
      • Carl Abraham Zimring
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2003
          Good question. Are there any unreleased tracks worth hearing? Willie
          Mitchell was pretty meticulous producing Green; I wonder if they had much
          time to cut extra material.

          Carl Z.

          --On Sunday, February 2, 2003 9:54 AM -0800 Simon <uglyxpop@...>

        • Barry Mazor <brmaz@earthlink.net>
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2003
            > > Creedence Clearwater Revisited Recollection (two CDs) (Hip-O)
            >
            > If this is what it sounds like, it'll be be the suckiest piece of suck
            > since....well, maybe ever. CCR without John Fogerty--man, what a
            > genius idea!

            What a desperate idea--and, sad to say, it is what you're afrad it is. a 2 Cd
            live show with all that Doug and Stu you've ever sked for playing, uh, the
            hits they they made famous! They're website says they hadn't intended to
            put out a CD, but, you know--th demand was overwhelming. Some guy
            after a show said "hey, is there a CD?"

            Think of them as a second-level CCR tribute band?

            On the other hand, there are so many band slike this they could form
            doble bills with. Like tthe one with two guys from brussels who once
            found a jont left on a table by Bernie Leadon and are nowt The Flying
            Burrito Brothers! (not to speak of the band "Burrito Deluxe" which only
            half claims to be THOSE guys...)

            Barry