Re: [fearnwhiskey] Pittsburgh music (was Donnie Ad Nauseum)

  • Carl Abraham Zimring
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 3, 2003
      --On Sunday, February 2, 2003 12:05 PM -0600 Bob Soron
      <bobsoron@...> wrote:

      > On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 9:49AM -0600, Carl Abraham Zimring wrote:
      >
      >> You'd figure the administration would want to preserve the city's
      >> distinctive features in order to help attract and retain residents,
      >> but
      >> you'd be mistaken.
      >
      > Is this even true anymore? Most city governments have been pretty
      > blatant, since the '80s, about believing that tourists want large chains
      > rather than small, local, unique shops. And it isn't much of a jump from
      > that to thinking that that's what will attract and retain residents,
      > too. I *have* become more cynical about this since moving to Chicago --
      > even now, I think Boston and the immediate suburbs are still more open
      > to indies -- but I've gotten the feeling it's becoming truer
      > everywhere.

      Richard M. Daley wouldn't be my choice for a patron of the arts either,
      especially after the destruction of Maxwell Street. Chicago, however,
      doesn't constanty wring its collective hands about the need to attract and
      keep residents as the Murphy administration has since day one. Pittsburgh
      in 2003 is a much smaller city than Chicago or Boston -- or Pittsburgh in
      1963 when we had a steel industry. Our government is worried about keeping
      its younger people (and by "younger" I mean people under 70) in town but
      doesn't do much to give people a reason to live here rather than anywhere
      else. Murphy's development plans have put an Old Navy downtown. Big deal.

      On the bright side, several folks in town have made a fair amount of noise
      in the media and classrooms about keeping the (pretty damn vibrant despite
      the neglect of the city) art & music communities healthy, and a benefit of
      the population decline is that low rents allow good, large art galleries
      and performance spaces to pop up all over the place. I live on Penn
      Avenue, and driving five minutes in either direction without turning off of
      Penn can get me to a several art galleries and live music venues.

      There's more than a few people in Pittsburgh who appreciate those
      developments. I don't know that the mayor has much time for arts boosters
      like MAP or advocates of the "creative class" like Richard Florida who
      believe that supporting the arts is an important part of local economic
      developmentm but they get in the papers a lot. Some people are paying
      attention, and perhaps that attention will lead to different policies down
      the road.

      Carl Z.
    • fungusyoung <sweeney.mt@verizon.net>
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 3, 2003
        Different spin on this thread.... whatever happened to a couple of
        Pittsburgh mid/late 80's bands: Half-Life and A.T.S.? Just curious.

        Also, can anyone tell me anything about Soda Jerk? I have their last
        disc, but am kinda curious about the new one & how they are live.
        Thanks for any info.
      • Carl Abraham Zimring
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 3, 2003
          --On Tuesday, February 4, 2003 1:12 AM +0000 "fungusyoung
          <sweeney.mt@...>" <sweeney.mt@...> wrote:

          > Different spin on this thread.... whatever happened to a couple of
          > Pittsburgh mid/late 80's bands: Half-Life and A.T.S.? Just curious.

          ATS play around from time to time; I think they were at Club Cafe last
          week. Half-Life, funnily enough, did a reunion show in December. Dunno if
          they have plans for future activities.

          > Also, can anyone tell me anything about Soda Jerk? I have their last
          > disc, but am kinda curious about the new one & how they are live.
          > Thanks for any info.

          Haven't heard the new one yet, but they open for about half of the bands
          I've seen at Club Cafe over the past year. Solid, twangy rock with pop
          hooks. I've heard plenty of worse opening bands around here.

          Carl Z.
        • Dave Purcell
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 4, 2003
            And yet another spin -- weren't the Rave-Ups originally from Pittsburgh?
            I've been listening to "Chance" and "Book of Your Regrets" a bunch the
            last couple of weeks. They were a criminally underappreciated band.
            Jimmer had a band called the Lovin Miserys together a couple years ago
            with the guitarist from Concrete Blonde, but now he's back playing with
            Terry Wilson from the Rave-Ups. Terry is a mofo of rootsy guitar
            playing.

            How about the Clarks, aren't they Pittsburgh as well? I heard their
            first record and liked it well enough -- sort of Rave-Ups light. I
            haven't heard their new stuff, but they appear to have gone the
            teenybopper route...they actually played a mall here a year or so ago.

            dp

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 4, 2003
              --On Tuesday, February 4, 2003 9:26 AM -0500 Dave Purcell <dave@...>
              wrote:

              > And yet another spin -- weren't the Rave-Ups originally from Pittsburgh?

              Jeez, I don't know. If they were, they haven't been terribly conspicious
              around here since I came to town.

              > How about the Clarks, aren't they Pittsburgh as well? I heard their
              > first record and liked it well enough -- sort of Rave-Ups light. I
              > haven't heard their new stuff, but they appear to have gone the
              > teenybopper route...they actually played a mall here a year or so ago.

              The Clarks are from Pittsburgh and play out a lot. Can't say I'm a fan,
              but they have quite a few around here.