Re: [fearnwhiskey] reissues out this month

  • Jeff Jakowlew
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2003
      For those of us who completely forgot about Thin White Rope (and lost
      our copies of their albums to ex-girlfriends <g>), here's a description
      of the albums, plus some other reissues from the Midheaven mailer. Looks
      like a good time for 1980s reissues. Did "In The Spanish Cave" come out
      in 1998 or is that a typo?:

      THIN WHITE ROPE "Exploring the Axis" (Frontier)
      The 1985 debut album from Davis, California roots rock and Paisley
      Underground heroes THIN WHITE ROPE. An edgy mix of raw, angular riffs,
      Southern twang, and icy psychedelia, delivered with vocalist GUY KYSER's
      harsh, tightly-coiled vocals and unsettling lyrics.

      THIN WHITE ROPE "Moonhead" (Frontier)
      The 1987 sophomore album from Northern California rockers THIN WHITE
      ROPE. An unrelenting, grim and harrowing take on American roots
      rock'n'roll, that includes the faves "Crawl Piss Freeze" and "If Those Tears."

      THIN WHITE ROPE "In The Spanish Cave" (Frontier)
      The 1998 In The Spanish Cave album from Davis, California's favorite
      sons. A continuation of the dark and gritty rock of their previous
      releases, but with an increased sense of humor and more oblique lyrical
      wordplay. Includes the killers "Red Sun" and "It's OK."

      BUTTHOLE SURFERS "s/t & Live PCPPEP" (Latino Bugger Veil)
      A first-time-on-CD reissue of the BUTTHOLE SURFERS' first two EPs.
      Includes all seven tweaked songs from the band's eponymous debut, the
      seven songs from their follow-up live record, and four unreleased
      bonus tracks-, "Gary Floyd" and "Matchstick" (a two-track encore left
      off of Live PCPPEP), the song "Sinister Crayon" (which was recorded
      for the first EP but not mixed until 2002), and an early demo version
      of "Something." Packaged in a digipak with reproductions of the original artwork.

      CARGO CULT "Strange Men Bearing Fruit" (Touch And Go)
      A reissue of the sole album from this Texas-based sound monster
      comprised of JAMES BONNEY, DON DAVIS, DUANE DENISON (JESUS LIZARD,
      TOMAHAWK), and RANDY "BISCUIT" TURNER (BIG BOYS). A twelve-track
      jam-blower of punk, soul, jazz, art, ambient and raucous sounds, played
      with heart, emotion, energy and heat.

      LAST "L.A. Explosion" (Bomp)
      A reissue of the debut album from early Los Angeles punkers the
      LAST. Originally released by Bomp in 1981, L.A. Explosion is a burning
      fusion of punk, surf, and 1960s-style garage, delivered with rockin'
      rhythms and memorable melodies. Remastered from the original master
      tapes, and boosted with bonus tracks, printed lyrics, new liner notes,
      and band photos.

      NO TREND "Tritonian Nash-Vegas" (Touch And Go)
      A reissue of the 1986 Tritonian Nash-Vegas album from sarcastic
      Baltimore noise-rockers NO TREND. Eleven tracks of noise-rock, lounge,
      funk, country and more.

      NEGATIVE APPROACH "Tied Down" (Touch And Go)
      A reissue of the groundbreaking and hella influential 1983 Tied Down
      album from 1980s Midwestern hardcore behemoths NEGATIVE APPROACH. Ten
      practically peerless tracks of mean, violent and explosive punk rock,
      featuring the hoarse, wailing vocals of BRANNON, who later went on to
      front the LAUGHING HYENAS.

      THUNDERTRAIN "Teenage Suicide" (Gulcher) CD
      A collection of high-energy rock'n'roll from this killer Boston
      five-piece recorded between 1974 and 1979. A roaring blend of rebel rock
      rawness, ripped with metal, punk and glam flavors, remastered from the
      original tapes, and packaged with a 24-page booklet featuring rare
      photos and the band's story as told by all five members to EDDIE FLOWERS.

      F.U.S "Kill For Christ" (Taang)
      A reissue of the amazing 1982 Kill For Christ album by one of the
      finest hardcore bands to ever come out of Boston. Includes all the
      tracks from the original release, along with the band's songs from
      the This Is Boston Not LA and Unsafe At Any Speed compilations, as
      well as the group's first demo recordings. Nineteen tracks in all.
      Packaged with the original PUSHEAD artwork.

      RUTS "In A Rut" (Taang)
      A reissue of the classic In A Rut album from this legendary
      British second-wave band whose versatile blend of punk, reggae and
      politics went on to influence an entire generation of musicians.
      Includes the cuts from the original album, along with early demos, and
      alternate versions of some of the band's most classic material.
    • Simon
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2003
        --- Carl Abraham Zimring <cz28@...> wrote:

        > Al Green , I'm Still in Love with You:
        > Anniversary Edition

        Does anyone know what these Hi/Right Stuff
        "Anniversary editions" might entail? "I'm still..."
        is one of my absolute favourite records ever, but it's
        also a rare (?) case of a record that might actually
        be as well served in reissue by the deletion of a
        track than the addition of any dubious bonus material;
        the schmaltzy version of "Pretty woman" herein always
        struck me as a particularly odd way to mar an
        otherwise virtually flawless LP.

        =====
        Simon

        uglyxpop@...
        www.uglypop.com

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • Aleksandar Lazarevic
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2003
          >From ICE. Looks like a strong month; I bet there's something of interest for everyone
          reading this list.

          Tammy Faye Starlite & the Angels of Mercy Used Country Female (Diesel Only)
          ABBA On and On (Polydor/Universal Special Products)

          i knew there'll be something for me : - )
          I simply adore TFS & ABBA. Especialy if both cds are in charger and play random songs from
          both artists. Perfect for throw up party : - )
          O.k. just joking (or i'm not joking). Glitterhouse will release new Friends of Dean
          Martinez & Woven Hand in February after amazing album by Timesbold. Here are some
          explanations:

          TIMESBOLD - Timesbold
          The closest reference points are probably Palace or Songs:Ohia, due in no
          small part to the gorgeous vocals. Cracking and emotive, full and rich. But
          unlike those bands' purposeful minimalism and spare instrumentation,
          Timesbold don't shy away from introducing pianos, synthesisers, strange
          production techniques and lush vocal harmonies. Also, unlike their
          indie/country/folkie peers, they seem more interested in production,
          crafting spacious and epic soundscapes, replete with soaring strings and
          creepy minor key washes. Think Jason Molina, Will Oldham or Neil Young
          singing for the Flaming Lips or Mercury Rev, but with a more isolated and
          bleak country vibe: crackling campfires, broken hearts, wintery chills,
          bitter loneliness. Got it?

          FRIENDS OF DEAN MARTINEZ - Under The Waves
          The album everybody is desperately waiting for. Bill Elm and his mates took
          as much time as they needed to complete the follow up to the successful
          "Wichita Linemen" release of 2001. Not just another gem of
          desert-soundscapes, this new album goes far beyond the musical landscapes
          the Friends Of Dean Martinez have explored up til now.

          WOVEN HAND - Blush Music
          16 Horsepower leader David Eugene Edwards widens his musical horizon and
          brings us an album that merges the dry character of Woven Hand's
          self-titled debut with atmospheric, trance-like soundscapes. The basic
          tracks have been composed by Edwards for the recent performance of the
          highly acclaimed Brussel-based ballett "Ultimavez", who will tour the world
          with this program from the beginning of 2003 on. The score for their last
          program was written by David Byrne..

          + Munich records will release Anders Parker (of Varnaline) album. It's really good one.
          John Guilt - The mirrors and uncle Sam (February 11.)
          Dayna Kurtz - Postcards from downtown (March), then Johnny Dowd - Wire flowers (limited
          edition of 5000 copies). Wire flowers is session recorded before Wrong side of Memphis.

          "In the winter of 1996, i retreated into small room to write and record songs on my
          four-track. Many of those recordings found a home on my first album, "Wrong side of
          Memphis." The rest are here. Different versions of some of these songs are on "Pictures
          from Life's Other Side" and "The Pawnbroker's Wife" - but what you'll find here are the
          original bad seeds." Johnny Dowd

          Future farmer just released Virgil Shaw - Still falling.
          HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !

          All the best

          Aleksandar
          -i'm traveling faster than the speed of regret (Jim White) -
        • samchecker <oneriot@oneriot.com>
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2003
            --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Abraham Zimring <cz28@a...>
            wrote:
            > http://www.icemagazine.com/dates/vault191.shtm
            >

            > Creedence Clearwater Revisited Recollection (two CDs) (Hip-O)

            If this is what it sounds like, it'll be be the suckiest piece of suck
            since....well, maybe ever. CCR without John Fogerty--man, what a
            genius idea!

            > Schooly D Best of (Jive)

            Boy, there's a guy I haven't thought about in a zillion years. Bet one
            of the scariest rappers of the 80's sounds positively tame now...

            > The Lambrettas Da-a-a-ance - The Anthology (two CDs)
            (Sanctuary/Castle)

            Presumably the three people that weren't relatives of the band members
            will be happy now. What the f*ck? Crimony, 80's mod was one of the
            lamest subgenres ever, and Secret Affair sounded downright classic
            next to this crap.

            Mark
          • Carl Abraham Zimring
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2003
              Good question. Are there any unreleased tracks worth hearing? Willie
              Mitchell was pretty meticulous producing Green; I wonder if they had much
              time to cut extra material.

              Carl Z.

              --On Sunday, February 2, 2003 9:54 AM -0800 Simon <uglyxpop@...>

            • Barry Mazor <brmaz@earthlink.net>
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 3, 2003
                > > Creedence Clearwater Revisited Recollection (two CDs) (Hip-O)
                >
                > If this is what it sounds like, it'll be be the suckiest piece of suck
                > since....well, maybe ever. CCR without John Fogerty--man, what a
                > genius idea!

                What a desperate idea--and, sad to say, it is what you're afrad it is. a 2 Cd
                live show with all that Doug and Stu you've ever sked for playing, uh, the
                hits they they made famous! They're website says they hadn't intended to
                put out a CD, but, you know--th demand was overwhelming. Some guy
                after a show said "hey, is there a CD?"

                Think of them as a second-level CCR tribute band?

                On the other hand, there are so many band slike this they could form
                doble bills with. Like tthe one with two guys from brussels who once
                found a jont left on a table by Bernie Leadon and are nowt The Flying
                Burrito Brothers! (not to speak of the band "Burrito Deluxe" which only
                half claims to be THOSE guys...)

                Barry