Re: [fearnwhiskey] new releases this month

  • Jeff Jakowlew
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
      And here's some other new stuff from the Midheaven mailer:

      JIM MIZE "No Tell Motel" (Stump Grinder)
      A scarred and broken new album from Arkansas honky-tonk and blues
      songsmith JIM MIZE (who backs CEDEL DAVIS). A collection of
      half-remembered stories of infidelity, road trips and hard living
      delivered with great slide guitar and a voice damaged by whisky,
      cigarettes and too many long nights. Features backing from BOB EGAN
      (WILCO, BLUE RODEO) as well as members of BLUE MOUNTAIN. Produced by
      BRUCE WATSON for his Fat Possum offshoot, Stump Grinder.

      FRENCH TOAST "Bug Man" (Arrest)
      The debut release from this engaging new duo comprised of JAMES
      CANTY (NATION OF ULYSSES, CUPID CAR CLUB, MAKE-UP) and JERRY BUSHER (ALL
      SCARS, FUGAZI, FIDELITY JONES). A blend of guitars, keyboards, drums,
      percussion, samplers, sequencers, and haunting vocals that have earned
      comparisons to Mission of Burma, Savage Republic, Captain Beefheart,
      Wipers, and Wire.

      ALL SCARS "Luna Magus" (Dischord/Mass Particles)
      The third full-length album from Washington, DC genre-goosers
      CHUCK BETTIS (META-MATICS, TRANCE AND THE ARCADE, Mass Particles
      label), AMY DOMINGUES (THRENODY ENSEMBLE, MARY TIMONY, GARLAND OF HOURS,
      TELEGRAPH MELTS), and JERRY BUSHER (FIDELITY JONES, FUGAZI, LAS
      MORDIDAS, CLOCK STOPPERS, FRENCH TOAST). A raucous blend of shifting
      sounds and styles that span the range of heavy metal, Korean shamanism,
      West African drumming, techno, country, and Hasidic
      traditions performed with vocals, trumpets, cello, and drums. Features
      guest appearances from reedsman EVAN RAPPORT and vocalist
      DRE THIBERT.

      JOAN OF ARC "So Much Staying Alive and Lovelessness" (Jade Tree)
      The fifth full-length album from Chicago all-stars JOAN OF ARC and
      frontman TIM KINSELLA (CAP'N JAZZ, OWLS, FRIEND/ENEMY, EVERYONE). A
      fabulous collection of songs culled from a variety of sources-home
      recorded computer sketches, collaborations with kindred spirits,
      oddities, and half-fleshed ideas-masterfully built into some of the
      band's best work. Includes contributions from members of CALIFONE,
      ISOTOPE 217, BOAS, PINEBENDER, RED RED MEAT, NEED NEW BODY, CHICAGO
      UNDERGROUND DUO, and more.

      SOUND OF RAILS "Night Time Simulcast" (Caulfield)
      The second full-length album from the Omaha, Nebraska-based trio
      of CHRIS PALMQUIST, JOHN KESTNER and ERIC ERNST. A dynamic collection of
      songs that range from the atonally aggressive "Keipher" to the
      lulling dark rhythms of "Rulo," all expertly crafted with sophisticated
      arrangements and surprising twists and turns, influenced by bands like
      June of '44, Fugazi and Rodan.

      YOUTH GONE MAD & DEE DEE RAMONE (Trend Is Dead)
      A collaborative effort between YOUTH GONE MAD and the late DEE DEE
      RAMONE recorded just before Ramone's death-his last studio project.
      Begun as a painting project between Dee Dee and YGM frontman PAUL
      KOSTABI, the music soon followed as the two forged a creative bond.
      Fifteen tracks of zany, high-energy punk, including standards like
      "Twist & Shout" and "Blitzkrieg Bop," as well as some songs Dee Dee
      penned but never released in the US.

      OUT CROWD "Go On, Give a Damn" (Orange Sky)
      The debut full-length smoker from this infectious vintage pop
      combo led by BRIAN JONESTOWN MASSACRE co-founder and co-songwriter MATT
      HOLLYWOOD, and featuring members of RICHMOND FONTAINE and THE HARLOTS.
      An edgy and soul-bared blend of 1960s pop à la Byrds and Kinks and
      shake-it-up BJM-styled rollick.

      VOLTA SOUND "This is the Yin and the Yang" (Orange Sky)
      Cleveland's prolific the VOLTA SOUND follow up March 2001's critically
      acclaimed My American Girl and November 2001's Fast Light With Radio
      Signal EP with their most powerful recording to date. While the
      aforementioned releases were fantastic collections of songs, this one
      flows like a true album, a cosmic space rock masterpiece, holding its
      own with the likes of Spacemen 3's Perfect Prescription and the Brian
      Jonestown Massacre's Their Satanic Majesties Second Request."

      STARS AS EYES "Enemy of Fun" (Tigerbeat 6)
      The second album from Austin (by way of Providence) indie rock and IDM
      thrillers STARS AS EYES. Eleven tracks of pure musical reinvention and
      rebirth, composed on piano and guitar, and then fleshed-out with
      pounding drums, samples, and electronics. Heavier, thicker and more
      intense than their previous output, the record runs from minimal to
      psychedelic to IDM to krautrock to electro to full-on Providence rock.
      Dynamic, inspired
      and simultaneously searing and beautiful.

      BROKEBACK "Looks At The Bird" (Thrill Jockey)
      The third album from the bass-driven duo of DOUGLAS McCOMBS
      (TORTOISE, ELEVENTH DREAM DAY, PULLMAN) and NOEL KUPERSMITH (CHICAGO
      UNDERGROUND TRIO/ORCHESTRA, MONADE). Nine tracks that forego the duo's
      previous more "loose" approach in favor of more traditional songwriting
      structures, performed with six-string bass, guitar,
      double bass, sequencers, marimba, vibes, organ, and more. Includes
      guest appearances from STEREOLAB's LAETICIA SADIER and the late MARY
      HANSEN, as well as members of TORTOISE, SEA AND CAKE, and the CHICAGO
      UNDERGROUND DUO.
    • Jeff Jakowlew
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
        > Tammy Faye Starlite & the Angels of Mercy Used Country Female (Diesel Only)

        Or- When Good Labels Go Bad.
        Okay, I'm not a fan of TFS and I don't want to start a slagging session
        over here, but for me, Diesel Only has become quite a disappointing
        vanity label in the past few years. Between the unlistenable Will Rigby
        cd and yawners from Joe Flood, Amy Allison and Laura Cantrell (whose
        first cd I dug but really wasn't interested in more of the same with the
        second, especially with no improvement in her kinda charming but weak
        vocals) and now TFS, it's become a slumming ground for Jeremy Tepper's
        friends and family, regardless of whether they have a decent cd's worth
        of tunes to release. Which is too bad, as there was an excitement in the
        air of new musical discoveries with the first few Diesel Only
        collections and also collaborations with Bloodshot Records in live
        events both in NY and Chicago. The complacency that's bogged down
        Bloodshot is even more apparent with Diesel Only. Diesel Only has made a
        name for itself, but now seems uninterested in breaking any new ground
        or hoisting any new acts upon listeners that are anxious for different
        sounds in the roots rock/ alt.county genres. Oh well.

        > VA We're a Happy Family: A Tribute to the Ramones (w/Eddie Vedder, Green Day, Red Hot Chili Peppers and others) (DV8/Columbia)

        Or- Why Did The Good Ramones Die Young?
        So who is the intended audience for this tribute? I can't see long time
        Ramones fans having much interest in a lineup that reads like a
        Billboard chart from the mid 90's and I don't see why any current
        MTV-geared kids would care about it. And why is there no participation
        from the Ramones peers- folks like Blondie or Joan Jett or Television or
        the Dictators or Motorhead or X or Nick Lowe or Elvis Costello or Dave
        Alvin or yeah, Joe Strummer? And how about some current acts such as the
        Hives, Derailers, Hank 3, Supersuckers, Neko Case? Dwight Yoakum
        might've done a good take on "Questionably." This whole thing stinks of
        a thoughtless, ill-conceived cash-in by Johnny Ramone (I figure Rob
        Zombie would've known better) and maybe that's the reason why none of
        the acts I listed above are involved. If nothing else, I'm thinking the
        cd booklet might be cool (Rob Zombie has always done a nice job on the
        booklets for his own releases) and that's the only reason I'd look for
        this in the used bins.

        Jeff J
      • Nina Melechen <melechen@earthlink.net>
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
          --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Abraham Zimring <cz28@a...>
          wrote:
          > February 4
          >
          > The Damnwells (Whiskeytown drummer Steven Terry) PMR +1 (In Music We
          Trust)

          Carl, I don't know whether you're aware that the Damnwell's lead
          guitarist is David Chernis from the late lamented (at least by you
          and me) Star City.<sigh>

          Nina M.