reissues out this month

  • Carl Abraham Zimring
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2 7:33 AM
      http://www.icemagazine.com/dates/vault191.shtm

      February 4

      Louis Armstrong Essential Collection (Cleopatra)

      Otis Blackwell They Called It Rock N' Roll (Empire Musicwerks)

      Rhys Chatham An Angel Moves Too Fast to See (three-CD box set) (Table of
      the Elements)

      Creedence Clearwater Revisited Recollection (two CDs) (Hip-O)

      Keiji Haino I Said, This Is the Son of Nihilism (Table of the Elements)

      John Lee Hooker & the Groundhogs Hooker & the Hogs (Sanctuary/Castle)

      Thin White Rope In the Spanish Cave and Moonhead (Frontier)

      Bobby Womack The Best of (Collectables)

      Lonnie Youngblood Featuring Jimi Hendrix Two Great Experiences (Empire
      Musicwerks)

      VA Blues Legends in London (three CDs of Josh White, Big Bill Broonzy and
      Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee) (Sanctuary/Castle)

      February 11

      David Ackles American Gothic, David Ackles and Subway to the Country
      (Collectors' Choice)

      Cannonball Adderley Bohemia After Dark (Savoy Jazz)

      BeauSoleil Encore, Encore! The Best of (Rhino)

      R.L. Burnside Heritage of the Blues (HighTone)

      Johnny Cash Is Coming to Town/Boom Chicka Boom (two-fer), The Mystery of
      Life and Water from the Wells of Home (Mercury Nashville)

      Miles Davis First Miles (Savoy Jazz)

      Dizzy Gillespie The Champ (Savoy Jazz)

      Al Green Gets Next to You, Green Is Blues, I'm Still in Love with You:
      Anniversary Edition and Let's Stay Together: Anniversary Edition (Hi/The
      Right Stuff)

      Pearl Harbor & the Explosions Pearl Harbor & the Explosions (Collectors'
      Choice)

      Woody Herman Wild Roots Show (Jazz Unlimited)

      Skip James Vanguard Sessions: Studio Sessions Rare & Unreleased (Vanguard)

      Leo Kottke Instrumentals: Best of Capitol and Instrumentals: Best of
      Chrysalis (Blue Note)

      Robin Lane & the Chartbusters Robin Lane & the Chartbusters (Collectors'
      Choice)

      Men at Work Business as Usual and Cargo (w/bonus tracks) (Columbia/Legacy)

      Gerry Mulligan Midas Touch: Live in Berlin (Concord Jazz)

      Willie Nelson Crazy: The Demo Sessions (w/three hidden tracks) (Sugar Hill)

      New Order International (Rhino)

      Nitty Gritty Dirt Band Symphonion Dream and Uncle Charlie & His Dog Teddy
      (Capitol Nashville)

      Charlie Parker The Bird Returns and The Story (Savoy Jazz)

      The Stranglers Peaches: The Very Best of (EMI/Capitol)

      Art Tatum Live 1934-1944, Volume 1 (Storyville)

      Townes Van Zandt Delta Momma Blues and For the Sake of the Song (Tomato)

      Doc Watson Then & Now (Tomato)

      OST Diamonds Are Forever (w/previously unreleased score) (EMI/Capitol)

      OST For Your Eyes Only (EMI/Capitol)

      OST Live and Let Die (w/previously unreleased score) (EMI/Capitol)

      OST The Living Daylights (EMI/Capitol)

      OST Octopussy (EMI/Capitol)

      OST On Her Majesty's Secret Service (w/previously unreleased score)
      (EMI/Capitol)

      DVD Audio The Band Music from Big Pink (Capitol)

      DVD Audio Big Bill Broonzy The 1955 London Sessions (Silverline)

      DVD Audio John Lee Hooker & the Groundhogs Hooker & the Hogs(Silverline)

      DVD Audio Charlie Musselwhite Up & Down the Highway (Silverline)

      DVD Audio R.E.M. Document (I.R.S./EMI)

      DVD Audio T-Bone Walker Back on the Scene (Silverline)

      DVD Audio Jimmy Witherspoon The Blues, the Whole Blues and Nothing but the
      Blues(Silverline)

      SACD The Byrds Fifth Dimension (Columbia/Legacy)

      SACD The Who My Generation (MCA)

      February 18

      AC/DC Back in Black, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, High Voltage, Highway to
      Hell, Live - Collector's Edition (two CDs) and Live (Epic)

      Nat Adderley Quartets Naturally (Jazzland/OJC)

      Born Against 9 Patriotic Hymns for Children and Battle Hymns of the Race
      War and The Rebel Sound of Shit and Failure (Kill Rock Stars)

      James Chance Irresistible Impulse (four-CD box set) (Tiger Style)

      Johnny Copeland Ghetto Child (Sanctuary/Castle)

      Lefty Frizzel Saginaw Michigan/Country Favorites (two-fer) (Collectables)

      Rory Gallagher Rory (Buddha)

      J.F.A. We Know You Suck: Blatant Localism/Valley of the Yakes (Alternative
      Tentacles)

      The Lovin' Spoonful Everything Playing and Hums of the Lovin' Spoonful
      (w/bonus tracks) (Buddha)

      Morphine The Best of 1992-1995 (w/two previously unreleased tracks)
      (Rykodisc)

      Aaron Neville Orchid in the Storm (w/four bonus tracks) (Hyena)

      Schooly D Best of (Jive)

      Nina Simone An Eclectic Collection (six-CD box set) (Collectables)

      The Stone Roses Very Best of (Jive)

      McCoy Tyner 13th House (Milestone/OJC)

      T-Bone Walker Back on the Scene - Texas 1966 (Sanctuary/Castle)

      DVD AC/DC Rock Masters (live from 1977) (Image Entertainment)

      DVD The Melvins Salad of a Thousand Delights (Music Video Distributors/Box
      Dog Videos)

      DVD Yellowman Live in San Francisco (Music Video Distributors/2B1)

      February 25

      ABBA On and On (Polydor/Universal Special Products)

      Ruth Brown Essentials (Rhino)

      Dave Brubeck Piano Jazz (Jazz Alliance)

      Roy Clark Absolutely the Best (Fuel 2000)

      Reverend Gary Davis If I Had My Way: Early Home Records (Smithsonian
      Folkways)

      Lonnie Donegan Rock Island Line - Singles Anthology (three CDs)
      (Sanctuary/Castle)

      Amon Duul II The U.A. Years: 1969-1974 (Purple Pyramid)

      Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong Ella and Louie Again (two CDs) (Verve)

      Dizzy GIllespie Piano Jazz (Jazz Alliance)

      Holly & the Italians Demos Federico (two CDs) (Wounded Bird)

      Ice Cube Amerikkka's Most Wanted and Death Certificate (Priority)

      The Jam The Sound of (Interscope)

      The Lambrettas Da-a-a-ance - The Anthology (two CDs) (Sanctuary/Castle)

      Leadbelly Absolutely the Best, Live in Concert, Vol. 2 (Fuel 2000)

      Robert Palmer Live at the Apollo (Eagle/Red Ink)

      Charlie Parker New York Anthology, 1950-54 (Stardust)

      John Renbourn Sir John a Lot (Sanctuary/Castle)

      George Strait Beyond the Blue Neon (MCA/Universal Special Products)

      Strawbs 20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection (A&M)

      Style Council 20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection (Polydor)

      Donna Summer 20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection (Motown)

      T. Rex Electric Warrior (w/bonus tracks) (Rhino)

      Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee Sun's Gonna Shine (Tomato)

      Chuck Willis Wails! 1951-56 (two CDs) (Sundazed)

      VA Alan Lomax Collection: Puglia - The Salento (Rounder)

      VA Kentucky Mountain Music (seven-CD box set) (Shanachie)

      VA Legends of Bottleneck Blues Guitar (w/Son House, Johnny Shines, Fred
      McDowell and others) (Rounder)

      VA Legends of the Delta Blues (Rounder)

      VA Louisiana Piano Rhythms (w/Professor Longhair, Dr. John and Jelly Roll
      Morton) (Tomato)

      VA Mods Mayday '79 (Sanctuary/Castle)

      OST A View to a Kill (EMI/Capitol)

      OST Goldeneye (EMI/Capitol)

      OST Goldfinger (w/four bonus tracks) (EMI/Capitol)

      OST Moonraker (EMI/Capitol)

      OST The Man with the Golden Gun (EMI/Capitol)

      OST The Spy Who Loved Me (EMI/Capitol)

      OST Thunderball (w/previously unreleased score) (EMI/Capitol)

      OST You Only Live Twice (w/previously unreleased score) (EMI/Capitol)

      DVD Peter Gabriel Secret World Live (Geffen)

      DVD The Jam The Complete (two discs) (Interscope)

      DVD Slayer War at the Warfield (American)

      DVD Audio Blue Öyster Cult A Long Day?s Night (Silverline)

      DVD Audio Dizzy Gillespie Matrix (Silverline)

      DVD Audio Jerry Lee Lewis The Silver Eagle Show (Silverline)

      DVD Audio Graham Parker King Biscuit Flower Hour Presents (Silverline)

      DVD Audio Teddy Pendergrass From Teddy with Love (Silverline)

      DVD Audio Iggy Pop King Biscuit Flower Hour Presents (Silverline)

      SACD Ray Brown Soular Energy (Groove Note)
    • Jeff Jakowlew
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2 9:20 AM
        For those of us who completely forgot about Thin White Rope (and lost
        our copies of their albums to ex-girlfriends <g>), here's a description
        of the albums, plus some other reissues from the Midheaven mailer. Looks
        like a good time for 1980s reissues. Did "In The Spanish Cave" come out
        in 1998 or is that a typo?:

        THIN WHITE ROPE "Exploring the Axis" (Frontier)
        The 1985 debut album from Davis, California roots rock and Paisley
        Underground heroes THIN WHITE ROPE. An edgy mix of raw, angular riffs,
        Southern twang, and icy psychedelia, delivered with vocalist GUY KYSER's
        harsh, tightly-coiled vocals and unsettling lyrics.

        THIN WHITE ROPE "Moonhead" (Frontier)
        The 1987 sophomore album from Northern California rockers THIN WHITE
        ROPE. An unrelenting, grim and harrowing take on American roots
        rock'n'roll, that includes the faves "Crawl Piss Freeze" and "If Those Tears."

        THIN WHITE ROPE "In The Spanish Cave" (Frontier)
        The 1998 In The Spanish Cave album from Davis, California's favorite
        sons. A continuation of the dark and gritty rock of their previous
        releases, but with an increased sense of humor and more oblique lyrical
        wordplay. Includes the killers "Red Sun" and "It's OK."

        BUTTHOLE SURFERS "s/t & Live PCPPEP" (Latino Bugger Veil)
        A first-time-on-CD reissue of the BUTTHOLE SURFERS' first two EPs.
        Includes all seven tweaked songs from the band's eponymous debut, the
        seven songs from their follow-up live record, and four unreleased
        bonus tracks-, "Gary Floyd" and "Matchstick" (a two-track encore left
        off of Live PCPPEP), the song "Sinister Crayon" (which was recorded
        for the first EP but not mixed until 2002), and an early demo version
        of "Something." Packaged in a digipak with reproductions of the original artwork.

        CARGO CULT "Strange Men Bearing Fruit" (Touch And Go)
        A reissue of the sole album from this Texas-based sound monster
        comprised of JAMES BONNEY, DON DAVIS, DUANE DENISON (JESUS LIZARD,
        TOMAHAWK), and RANDY "BISCUIT" TURNER (BIG BOYS). A twelve-track
        jam-blower of punk, soul, jazz, art, ambient and raucous sounds, played
        with heart, emotion, energy and heat.

        LAST "L.A. Explosion" (Bomp)
        A reissue of the debut album from early Los Angeles punkers the
        LAST. Originally released by Bomp in 1981, L.A. Explosion is a burning
        fusion of punk, surf, and 1960s-style garage, delivered with rockin'
        rhythms and memorable melodies. Remastered from the original master
        tapes, and boosted with bonus tracks, printed lyrics, new liner notes,
        and band photos.

        NO TREND "Tritonian Nash-Vegas" (Touch And Go)
        A reissue of the 1986 Tritonian Nash-Vegas album from sarcastic
        Baltimore noise-rockers NO TREND. Eleven tracks of noise-rock, lounge,
        funk, country and more.

        NEGATIVE APPROACH "Tied Down" (Touch And Go)
        A reissue of the groundbreaking and hella influential 1983 Tied Down
        album from 1980s Midwestern hardcore behemoths NEGATIVE APPROACH. Ten
        practically peerless tracks of mean, violent and explosive punk rock,
        featuring the hoarse, wailing vocals of BRANNON, who later went on to
        front the LAUGHING HYENAS.

        THUNDERTRAIN "Teenage Suicide" (Gulcher) CD
        A collection of high-energy rock'n'roll from this killer Boston
        five-piece recorded between 1974 and 1979. A roaring blend of rebel rock
        rawness, ripped with metal, punk and glam flavors, remastered from the
        original tapes, and packaged with a 24-page booklet featuring rare
        photos and the band's story as told by all five members to EDDIE FLOWERS.

        F.U.S "Kill For Christ" (Taang)
        A reissue of the amazing 1982 Kill For Christ album by one of the
        finest hardcore bands to ever come out of Boston. Includes all the
        tracks from the original release, along with the band's songs from
        the This Is Boston Not LA and Unsafe At Any Speed compilations, as
        well as the group's first demo recordings. Nineteen tracks in all.
        Packaged with the original PUSHEAD artwork.

        RUTS "In A Rut" (Taang)
        A reissue of the classic In A Rut album from this legendary
        British second-wave band whose versatile blend of punk, reggae and
        politics went on to influence an entire generation of musicians.
        Includes the cuts from the original album, along with early demos, and
        alternate versions of some of the band's most classic material.
      • Simon
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2 9:54 AM
          --- Carl Abraham Zimring <cz28@...> wrote:

          > Al Green , I'm Still in Love with You:
          > Anniversary Edition

          Does anyone know what these Hi/Right Stuff
          "Anniversary editions" might entail? "I'm still..."
          is one of my absolute favourite records ever, but it's
          also a rare (?) case of a record that might actually
          be as well served in reissue by the deletion of a
          track than the addition of any dubious bonus material;
          the schmaltzy version of "Pretty woman" herein always
          struck me as a particularly odd way to mar an
          otherwise virtually flawless LP.

          =====
          Simon

          uglyxpop@...
          www.uglypop.com

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Aleksandar Lazarevic
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3 5:14 AM
            >From ICE. Looks like a strong month; I bet there's something of interest for everyone
            reading this list.

            Tammy Faye Starlite & the Angels of Mercy Used Country Female (Diesel Only)
            ABBA On and On (Polydor/Universal Special Products)

            i knew there'll be something for me : - )
            I simply adore TFS & ABBA. Especialy if both cds are in charger and play random songs from
            both artists. Perfect for throw up party : - )
            O.k. just joking (or i'm not joking). Glitterhouse will release new Friends of Dean
            Martinez & Woven Hand in February after amazing album by Timesbold. Here are some
            explanations:

            TIMESBOLD - Timesbold
            The closest reference points are probably Palace or Songs:Ohia, due in no
            small part to the gorgeous vocals. Cracking and emotive, full and rich. But
            unlike those bands' purposeful minimalism and spare instrumentation,
            Timesbold don't shy away from introducing pianos, synthesisers, strange
            production techniques and lush vocal harmonies. Also, unlike their
            indie/country/folkie peers, they seem more interested in production,
            crafting spacious and epic soundscapes, replete with soaring strings and
            creepy minor key washes. Think Jason Molina, Will Oldham or Neil Young
            singing for the Flaming Lips or Mercury Rev, but with a more isolated and
            bleak country vibe: crackling campfires, broken hearts, wintery chills,
            bitter loneliness. Got it?

            FRIENDS OF DEAN MARTINEZ - Under The Waves
            The album everybody is desperately waiting for. Bill Elm and his mates took
            as much time as they needed to complete the follow up to the successful
            "Wichita Linemen" release of 2001. Not just another gem of
            desert-soundscapes, this new album goes far beyond the musical landscapes
            the Friends Of Dean Martinez have explored up til now.

            WOVEN HAND - Blush Music
            16 Horsepower leader David Eugene Edwards widens his musical horizon and
            brings us an album that merges the dry character of Woven Hand's
            self-titled debut with atmospheric, trance-like soundscapes. The basic
            tracks have been composed by Edwards for the recent performance of the
            highly acclaimed Brussel-based ballett "Ultimavez", who will tour the world
            with this program from the beginning of 2003 on. The score for their last
            program was written by David Byrne..

            + Munich records will release Anders Parker (of Varnaline) album. It's really good one.
            John Guilt - The mirrors and uncle Sam (February 11.)
            Dayna Kurtz - Postcards from downtown (March), then Johnny Dowd - Wire flowers (limited
            edition of 5000 copies). Wire flowers is session recorded before Wrong side of Memphis.

            "In the winter of 1996, i retreated into small room to write and record songs on my
            four-track. Many of those recordings found a home on my first album, "Wrong side of
            Memphis." The rest are here. Different versions of some of these songs are on "Pictures
            from Life's Other Side" and "The Pawnbroker's Wife" - but what you'll find here are the
            original bad seeds." Johnny Dowd

            Future farmer just released Virgil Shaw - Still falling.
            HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !

            All the best

            Aleksandar
            -i'm traveling faster than the speed of regret (Jim White) -
          • samchecker <oneriot@oneriot.com>
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3 6:04 AM
              --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Abraham Zimring <cz28@a...>
              wrote:
              > http://www.icemagazine.com/dates/vault191.shtm
              >

              > Creedence Clearwater Revisited Recollection (two CDs) (Hip-O)

              If this is what it sounds like, it'll be be the suckiest piece of suck
              since....well, maybe ever. CCR without John Fogerty--man, what a
              genius idea!

              > Schooly D Best of (Jive)

              Boy, there's a guy I haven't thought about in a zillion years. Bet one
              of the scariest rappers of the 80's sounds positively tame now...

              > The Lambrettas Da-a-a-ance - The Anthology (two CDs)
              (Sanctuary/Castle)

              Presumably the three people that weren't relatives of the band members
              will be happy now. What the f*ck? Crimony, 80's mod was one of the
              lamest subgenres ever, and Secret Affair sounded downright classic
              next to this crap.

              Mark
            • Carl Abraham Zimring
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 3 6:06 AM
                Good question. Are there any unreleased tracks worth hearing? Willie
                Mitchell was pretty meticulous producing Green; I wonder if they had much
                time to cut extra material.

                Carl Z.

                --On Sunday, February 2, 2003 9:54 AM -0800 Simon <uglyxpop@...>

              • Barry Mazor <brmaz@earthlink.net>
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 3 6:32 AM
                  > > Creedence Clearwater Revisited Recollection (two CDs) (Hip-O)
                  >
                  > If this is what it sounds like, it'll be be the suckiest piece of suck
                  > since....well, maybe ever. CCR without John Fogerty--man, what a
                  > genius idea!

                  What a desperate idea--and, sad to say, it is what you're afrad it is. a 2 Cd
                  live show with all that Doug and Stu you've ever sked for playing, uh, the
                  hits they they made famous! They're website says they hadn't intended to
                  put out a CD, but, you know--th demand was overwhelming. Some guy
                  after a show said "hey, is there a CD?"

                  Think of them as a second-level CCR tribute band?

                  On the other hand, there are so many band slike this they could form
                  doble bills with. Like tthe one with two guys from brussels who once
                  found a jont left on a table by Bernie Leadon and are nowt The Flying
                  Burrito Brothers! (not to speak of the band "Burrito Deluxe" which only
                  half claims to be THOSE guys...)

                  Barry