Re: Senators grill Clear Channel CEO

  • Perfect Sound Forever
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
      Also realize what a bind that many artists are in because Clear Channel
      owns not only so many radio stations across the country but also
      Ticketmaster. This means that they can punish anyone with decreased
      airplay or logistical problems of mounting a tour. Even if there isn't
      documented cases of this (please tell me if I'm wrong!), the mere THREAT of
      such a thing is sufficient enough to silence people in the business.

      Best,
      Jason

      Perfect Sound Forever
      online music magazine with warped perspectives
      perfect-sound@...
      http://www.perfectsoundforever.com
    • Carl Abraham Zimring
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
        --On Saturday, February 1, 2003 12:16 PM -0500 Perfect Sound Forever
        <perfect-sound@...> wrote:

        > Also realize what a bind that many artists are in because Clear Channel
        > owns not only so many radio stations across the country but also
        > Ticketmaster. This means that they can punish anyone with decreased
        > airplay or logistical problems of mounting a tour. Even if there isn't
        > documented cases of this (please tell me if I'm wrong!), the mere THREAT
        > of such a thing is sufficient enough to silence people in the business.

        If memory serves, this conflict of interest was Sen. Feingold's initial
        objection to Clear Channel's expansion. In a different time, the Federal
        Trade Commission might have nixed this development, but we live in the Age
        of Consolidation....

        Carl Z.
        NPIMH: Camper Van Beethoven, "Broadcasting Live From the
        MCI-Worldcom-A&TT-Chrysler-Daimler-Mitsubishi-Phillips-BASF-LG-Phillip
        Morris-BP-Texaco-Pfizer-AOL-Time-Warner-Boeing-Microsoft-Aeroflot-United-Yo
        yodyne Coliseum, Strom Thurmond City, Mars"