Re: for Jeff J

  • samchecker <oneriot@oneriot.com>
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 30, 2003
      --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Wilson, Carl" <cwilson@g...>
      wrote:

      > Hot Hot Heat should *wish* they could cop half a lick from Dexys
      Midnight
      > Runners.
      > I haven't really listened to the records but I saw HHH live last
      year and
      > was violently underwhelmed.
      >
      > carl w.,
      > feeling distinctly Ol' Man Wyatt-like.

      Hey, there are things I *like* a lot, too, and I'm not afraid to say
      it! Like the new Supergrass CD--yow! Half the time it sounds like
      vintage glam (never a bad thing in my view), and the rest of it is
      just totally cool Britpop. I loved their last CD, but Life on Other
      Planets is even better.

      Mark
    • granfaloon_bus <granfaloon_bus@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 30, 2003
        --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "samchecker <oneriot@o...>"
        <oneriot@o...> wrote:

        > Hey, there are things I *like* a lot, too, and I'm not afraid to say
        > it! Like the new Supergrass CD--yow! Half the time it sounds like
        > vintage glam (never a bad thing in my view), and the rest of it is
        > just totally cool Britpop. I loved their last CD, but Life on Other
        > Planets is even better.

        You people who, like me, like some britpop but don't go around buying
        britpop albums can listen to the whole Supergrass album here:

        http://www.parlophone.co.uk/supergrass_listen

        and chat with other listeners!

        All bands should do this. PARADIGM FOR THE FUTURE!

        -Ajax
      • Wilson, Carl
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 30, 2003
          >listen to the whole Supergrass album here:
          > http://www.parlophone.co.uk/supergrass_listen
          > and chat with other listeners!
          > All bands should do this. PARADIGM FOR THE FUTURE!

          Basically right, except the part where I couldn't get this to work,
          seemingly because I tried to switch to another screen once it started. I
          don't think I should be _forced_ to chat with other listeners in order to
          hear the preview, even if it's a nice option.

          carl w.,
          who hates sales clerks who rush up at me, too,
          though i know they're just doing their creepy jobs
        • Chris Hill
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 30, 2003
            "Wilson, Carl" wrote:

            > carl w.,
            > who hates sales clerks who rush up at me, too,
            > though i know they're just doing their creepy jobs

            I was in a Borders the other week, and thought about this same thing.
            There's an etiquette, isn't there? If I'm off in a corner, because I've
            already *got* basically everything I'm interested in, and am just browsing
            because of an innate guilt at walking out without a purchase, I'd prefer
            being left alone.

            Were I a clerk, (and wouldn't THAT be a great job, like my dad wanting to
            marshal at a golf course when he retires - free golf, plus he keeps busy!)
            I'd stand at the counter like an Onion article and radiate a vast, guiding
            omnipotence, yet friendly approachability.

            Then again, I still get the thrill of geeking with a clerk about what's playing
            on the monitors. The Sonic Boom folk here in Seattle have all been very
            understanding, or at least pretend to be.

            And - not speaking of Seattle - am LOVING the new Postal Service album
            by Ben Gibbard (Death Cab for Cutie) and Jimmy Tamborello (DNTEL,
            Figurine). With backing vocals from Jen Wood and Jenny Lewis, it's the
            merging of DCfC's introspective/wallflower lyricism with the best parts of
            the indie New new wave scene.

            Chris

          • Carl Abraham Zimring
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 31, 2003
              --On Thursday, January 30, 2003 9:08 PM -0800 Chris Hill <chillout@...>
              wrote:

              > And - not speaking of Seattle - am LOVING the new Postal Service album
              > by Ben Gibbard (Death Cab for Cutie) and Jimmy Tamborello (DNTEL,
              > Figurine). With backing vocals from Jen Wood and Jenny Lewis, it's the
              > merging of DCfC's introspective/wallflower lyricism with the best parts of
              > the indie New new wave scene.

              Chris's post, combined with me thinking about Viv Stanshall, means I may
              have to see if WRCT has the Bonzo Dog Band's "Death Cab for Cutie" for
              Monday's show. Otherwise, I may have to break out "My Pink Half of the
              Drainpipe."

              Carl Z.
            • granfaloon_bus <granfaloon_bus@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 31, 2003
                wrote:
                > >listen to the whole Supergrass album here:
                > > http://www.parlophone.co.uk/supergrass_listen
                > > and chat with other listeners!
                > > All bands should do this. PARADIGM FOR THE FUTURE!
                >
                > Basically right, except the part where I couldn't get this to work,
                > seemingly because I tried to switch to another screen once it
                started. I
                > don't think I should be _forced_ to chat with other listeners in
                order to
                > hear the preview, even if it's a nice option.

                Whatever man! Free album! Wooooo!