hello!

  • killdevilscreek
    Message 1 of 26 , May 18, 2002
      If I can have my druthers, I'll take just the whiskey, please.

      Kelly, apparently never satisfied with things the way they are
    • lmerlin01
      Message 2 of 26 , May 18, 2002
        I am very excited about this. Does it mean we can talk about Joel
        Phelps, Kristin Hersh, and Mark Eitzel among others ?!!! Sign me up
        then! Woohoo!

        The sun finally came out in Seattle (it's 3:30).Off to see Jim Roll
        at the Tractor.Happy weekend

        Lisa
        PS:Hi Laura!
      • Dan Rigney
        Message 3 of 26 , May 18, 2002
          I'm hoping we can get signed glossies of Mr. Z., or an Efendubya Coffee mug or a vegan matzoh ball soup recipe out of our membership in this list.

          Dan "or a Carl Zimring scrap metal decoder ring" Rigney
        • robwestcott.rm
          Message 4 of 26 , May 18, 2002
            > The sun finally came out in Seattle (it's 3:30).Off to see Jim
            > Roll at the Tractor.

            hey lisa. tell jim that rob in bloomington said hi.

            rob.
            themaryjanes.com
          • czimring
            Message 5 of 26 , May 19, 2002
              --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Dan Rigney <rigney@i...> wrote:
              > I'm hoping we can get signed glossies of Mr. Z., or an Efendubya
              Coffee mug
              > or a vegan matzoh ball soup recipe out of our membership in this
              list.

              > Dan "or a Carl Zimring scrap metal decoder ring" Rigney

              Cool, I'm getting pledges! Dan, you can have all of those things if
              we somehow get you to St. Louis for Twangfest this year. (If there's
              anyone on list who's unaware of Twangfest, check out www.twangfest.org
              and click around.)

              I'm not above bribery,
              Carl
            • czimring
              Message 6 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "lmerlin01" <lmerlin01@y...> wrote:
                > I am very excited about this. Does it mean we can talk about Joel
                > Phelps, Kristin Hersh, and Mark Eitzel among others ?!!! Sign me up
                > then! Woohoo!

                Yep, all of the above. News-wise, I don't know if Joel has anything
                coming out -- last I heard he had moved to Vancouver and was going to
                get married. KH is playing a small club in Pittsburgh (the same one
                where the Mary Janes did a fine set last night) the same weekend as
                Twangfest, and Eitzel supposedly is going to reunite with some of his
                old AMC bandmates to record a new album in a few months. I'm enjoying
                his goofy new covers album.

                Carl
              • Lance Davis
                Message 7 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                  Hey y'all, greetings from Austin -

                  So, new Silkworm, eh? Carl, do dish ... like when is this sucker
                  coming out? And when did Silkworm leave Seattle? I thought I
                  read something in conjunction with Lifestyle that said they were
                  now a Chicago band. I'm sure they're much more appreciated there
                  than in SeaTown. BTW, are there any Silkworm bootlegs floating
                  around?

                  Lance

                  =====
                  "Marge: Nobody told us how tough it is to raise kids. They almost drove me to fortified wine.

                  Homer: Then we figured out we could park them in front of the TV. That's how I was raised, and I turned out TV."

                  LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
                  http://launch.yahoo.com
                • czimring
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                    --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:
                    > Hey y'all, greetings from Austin -
                    >
                    > So, new Silkworm, eh? Carl, do dish ... like when is this sucker
                    > coming out? And when did Silkworm leave Seattle? I thought I
                    > read something in conjunction with Lifestyle that said they were
                    > now a Chicago band. I'm sure they're much more appreciated there
                    > than in SeaTown. BTW, are there any Silkworm bootlegs floating
                    > around?

                    Dunno about bootlegs, but the new album _Italian Platinum_ comes out
                    on Touch & Go the first week in June. So far, it's my favorite record
                    released this year (I haven't heard the new Alejandro yet) mixing the
                    boys' concise rock with some keyboards and Kelly Hogan's gorgeous
                    singing. (She takes lead vocals on one song and does backup on much
                    of the disc.)

                    Silkworm gradually migrated to Chicago over the past few years,
                    starting when Andy Cohen went to law school. I think Tim Midgett
                    works for Shure. I selfishly love the move because it means they're
                    much closer to -- and more likely to play in -- Pittsburgh.

                    Carl
                  • Dan Rigney
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                      OK_

                      I've seen Silkworm come up in several places now as a name, but have heard nothing. I'm curious. Where's a good place to sample 'em?

                      Dan "if you hear about something three times from three different unrelated sources, check it out" Rigney

                      At 04:03 PM 5/19/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:
                      > Hey y'all, greetings from Austin -
                      >
                      > So, new Silkworm, eh? Carl, do dish ... like when is this sucker
                      > coming out? And when did Silkworm leave Seattle? I thought I
                      > read something in conjunction with Lifestyle that said they were
                      > now a Chicago band. I'm sure they're much more appreciated there
                      > than in SeaTown. BTW, are there any Silkworm bootlegs floating
                      > around?

                      Dunno about bootlegs, but the new album _Italian Platinum_ comes out
                      on Touch & Go the first week in June.  So far, it's my favorite record
                      released this year (I haven't heard the new Alejandro yet) mixing the
                      boys' concise rock with some keyboards and Kelly Hogan's gorgeous
                      singing.  (She takes lead vocals on one song and does backup on much
                      of the disc.)

                      Silkworm gradually migrated to Chicago over the past few years,
                      starting when Andy Cohen went to law school.  I think Tim Midgett
                      works for Shure.  I selfishly love the move because it means they're
                      much closer to -- and more likely to play in -- Pittsburgh.

                      Carl

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                      9c13ab.jpg
                      9c147e.jpg

                    • Lance Davis
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                        Good luck Dan. I tried Googling but only came up with MP3s for
                        Silkworm's side project with Steve Milkmoose, the Crust
                        Brothers. That's alright, but not very representative.

                        As for starting points, YMMV, but I think Libertine's the high
                        water mark for the Joel Phelps era - and still my favorite SKWM
                        record. Three good-to-great songwriters finally hitting their
                        stride, a very spacious and deep recording (courtesy of Steve
                        Albini, who knows about such things), and phat ol' guitars. I
                        don't know what other people call this kind of music - emo,
                        maybe? - but Television, Thin White Rope, Joy Division and a
                        bunch of square-jawed Krautrockers seem to be the obvious
                        touchstones.

                        Of the post-Phelps records I think Firewater has the
                        widest-ranging collection of songs, but Developer and Lifestyle
                        are both well-worth checking out. Then's there's the comps,
                        which should NOT be your starting point.

                        Hope some of this helps. Lance

                        Message 11 of 26 , May 19, 2002

                          > Yep, all of the above. News-wise, I don't know if Joel has anything
                          > coming out -- last I heard he had moved to Vancouver and was going
                          > get married.

                          That's what I hear too. I'm bummed because I really thought I would
                          be able to see him now that I'm in Seattle.I'm the only one out of
                          the P2 contingency who like him though (they equate Joel with the
                          sound a cat makes when you step on it's tail <grin>).

                          I haven't even heard any Silkworm yet.What should I start with (if I
                          ever get any money)

                          KH is playing a small club in Pittsburgh (the same one
                          > where the Mary Janes did a fine set last night)

                          She is out in Seattle too but hasn't played yet. What's going on
                          here?!

                          We are going to see the Knitters tonight.This woman Jesse Skyes is
                          backing them up.You guys may like her, she's a mopey twanger,lots of
                          strings on the record. I like her.

                          Lisa
                        • wfsilvers
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                            "czimring" wrote:

                            > KH is playing a small club in Pittsburgh (the same one
                            > where the Mary Janes did a fine set last night) the same weekend as
                            > Twangfest

                            It's a shame you'll be missing her, but she plays Pittsburgh
                            occasionally, doesn't she?
                            Anyhow, I'm jumping in to ask if the Mary Janes did "Allison" from
                            that upcoming Stiff tribute record?

                            b.s. who usually steers folks toward The Mysteries of Life for Vulgar
                            Boatmen spin-offs( and so many people ask me!<g>), but who thinks the
                            MJ's are OK too
                          • czimring
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                              --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "lmerlin01" <lmerlin01@y...> wrote:
                              > I haven't even heard any Silkworm yet.What should I start with (if I
                              > ever get any money)

                              There's that money thing. I love Silkworm and I love Joel Phelps, but
                              I think they've made their best music away from each other. If you
                              want to hear their best stuff with Joel, I agree that _Libertine_ is
                              the high point of that incarnation of the band, though the Matador
                              compilation _Even a Blind Chicken_ collects a lot of good material.
                              I'd start with the first trio record _Firewater_ (especially if you
                              like drinking songs -- gotta get the "whiskey" content in for this
                              list!), but any of the subsequent records save _Developer_ are fine
                              places to start. The new one is splendid; if you want to wait a
                              couple of weeks and dig Kelly Hogan, that would make an excellent
                              introduction.

                              I don't remember if they have any mp3's at the official band website,
                              but maybe Touch & Go or www.12xu.net (their UK label) have something.

                              > KH is playing a small club in Pittsburgh (the same one
                              > > where the Mary Janes did a fine set last night)
                              >
                              > She is out in Seattle too but hasn't played yet. What's going on
                              > here?!

                              She comes to town at least once a year. Don't know if a new record is
                              in the works or if she's just doing a tour to tour.

                              > We are going to see the Knitters tonight.This woman Jesse Skyes is
                              > backing them up.You guys may like her, she's a mopey twanger,lots of
                              > strings on the record. I like her.

                              I haven't heard this yet but will check to see if we have it in at the
                              station. Is she from Seattle?

                              Carl
                            • czimring
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                                About Ms. Hersh "wfsilvers" <wfsilvers@y...> wrote:
                                > It's a shame you'll be missing her, but she plays Pittsburgh
                                > occasionally, doesn't she?

                                About once a year, so I'm not slitting my wrists over missing this
                                one. Pittsburgh's a funny town -- we can go weeks with few good shows
                                and then there's a cluster of can't-miss shows. I left town for a
                                week in 1998 and managed to miss very-rare appearances by Paul Kelly
                                and Pere Ubu. Kelly finally came back last month but I'm still
                                waiting on Ubu. I'll miss KH this time, but luckily Alejandro
                                Escovedo plays a free oudoor show the following Tuesday.

                                > Anyhow, I'm jumping in to ask if the Mary Janes did "Allison" from
                                > that upcoming Stiff tribute record?

                                They did not, but Janas unveiled a few new songs, some of which sound
                                like she's been listening to gospel. Good stuff, I hope they make it
                                to a CD comes out before too long.

                                > b.s. who usually steers folks toward The Mysteries of Life for Vulgar
                                > Boatmen spin-offs( and so many people ask me!<g>), but who thinks the
                                > MJ's are OK too

                                Did they put a record out last year, Bill? If you bring in the Silos,
                                that's quite a fertile family tree.

                                Carl
                              • Patrick Randerson
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 19, 2002
                                  It's been so long since I've had an earful of fear and whiskey!
                                  Though when I saw the group name, I thought it was fernwhiskey -- some
                                  group about making pre-cambrian alcohol or a bunch of washington state
                                  hippies.

                                  Anyhow, I'll argue that Firewater is probably the best Silkworm record,
                                  but I have a hard time picking between the foursome-era Libertine and In
                                  the West. In the West is rough and raw, and there's some really great
                                  tracks on it.
                                  Developer and Blueblood are both good, but I was completely unable to get
                                  into Lifestyle -- while Joel's records seem to keep getting better.

                                  Here's hoping that the new one smacks me in the face like In the West did.

                                  I've read mixed reviews of the new Kristin Hersch record -- I spent much
                                  of the weekend listening to Hips and Makers, which I hadn't heard in a
                                  long time. Maybe I missed the first part of this discussion, but is the
                                  new one worth it?

                                  I've yet to find any radio in Columbus, OH that gives me my new music fix,
                                  so I'm stuck with recommendations + Audiogalaxy to tell me what to buy.
                                • Rob Jefferson
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                    On Sun, 19 May 2002, Patrick Randerson wrote:

                                    > Developer and Blueblood are both good, but I was completely unable to get
                                    > into Lifestyle -- while Joel's records seem to keep getting better.

                                    I really couldn't get into Developer. It was an okay album, but a bit of
                                    a letdown, since there wasn't much that stood out (except, perhaps, for
                                    "Ice Station Zebra"). I didn't mind Blueblood too much -- true, it wasn't
                                    a great album, but it had its share of moments, even if occasionally they
                                    sounded downright bored. Aside from "Treat the New Guy Right" and the
                                    Faces cover, I wasn't too keen on Lifestyle. Just seemed...rather
                                    mediocre for them.

                                    > I've read mixed reviews of the new Kristin Hersch record -- I spent much
                                    > of the weekend listening to Hips and Makers, which I hadn't heard in a
                                    > long time. Maybe I missed the first part of this discussion, but is the
                                    > new one worth it?

                                    There's an album newer than Sunny Border Blue? I should seek it out.
                                    Sunny was a fairly decent album, but it felt like a holding pattern for
                                    her, a repeat of sorts of her previous albums, but mostly like Sky Motel.
                                    Not to say that it's a bad album -- it's actually rather enjoyable -- but
                                    that she's not really going in any new/surprising directions with it. I
                                    still say to pick it up, though.

                                    And...err...hi, Patrick. Long time no see. :)

                                    rob
                                  • Patrick Randerson
                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                      > There's an album newer than Sunny Border Blue? I should seek it out.

                                      Apparently not. Shows how much I pay attention to anything these days. I
                                      saw Sunny Border Blue in the store, read some reviews online, and never
                                      bothered to look at the release date. So yeah, that was a long time ago --
                                      I need to get out of the lab and into the record store more often.

                                      I'll just sit down and be quiet...
                                    • czimring
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Rob Jefferson <jeffer@t...> wrote:
                                        > Sunny was a fairly decent album, but it felt like a holding pattern for
                                        > her, a repeat of sorts of her previous albums, but mostly like Sky
                                        Motel.
                                        > Not to say that it's a bad album -- it's actually rather enjoyable
                                        -- but
                                        > that she's not really going in any new/surprising directions with
                                        it. I
                                        > still say to pick it up, though.

                                        It's one of my favorites of hers. I agree that the sound follows from
                                        _Sky Motel_ (one-woman band with more electric guitar and percussion
                                        than on previous solo efforts), but her lyrics are among the most
                                        striking of her career, and she does a great reinterpretation of Cat
                                        Stevens's "Trouble". Does she have another disc in the pipeline? I
                                        haven't heard any of her Works in Progress mp3s she's done since _SBB_...

                                        Carl
                                      • Laura A. Watt
                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                          It's one of my favorites of hers. I agree that the sound follows from
                                          _Sky Motel_ (one-woman band with more electric guitar and percussion
                                          than on previous solo efforts), but her lyrics are among the most
                                          striking of her career, and she does a great reinterpretation of Cat
                                          Stevens's "Trouble". Does she have another disc in the pipeline? I
                                          haven't heard any of her Works in Progress mp3s she's done since _SBB_...

                                          She's working on another Throwing Muses record, believe it or not!!

                                          laura
                                        • czimring
                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Laura A. Watt" <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                                            > She's working on another Throwing Muses record, believe it or not!!
                                            >
                                            > laura

                                            Really? Who's in the band? I eagerly await this one...

                                            Carl
                                          • Laura A. Watt
                                            Message 21 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                              Same band, I'm pretty sure -- I've not been following the latest
                                              news, but I'm sure there's plenty of info on the website,
                                              http://www.throwingmusic.com

                                              The new Works in Progress is up and waiting to be subscribed to, too
                                              -- there have been three songs so far, two of which she more or less
                                              said "this is when i knew it was going to have to be a Muses
                                              record"...

                                              full of incomplete information,
                                              laura
                                            • czimring
                                              Message 22 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                                --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Laura A. Watt" <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                                                > full of incomplete information,
                                                > laura

                                                Almost complete information -- clicking around the site brings news
                                                that it is the same band, the record should be out in January and they
                                                aren't doing much touring behind it. And Lisa, she'll do a solo set
                                                at Bumbershoot, so there's your Seattle date!

                                                Carl
                                              • wfsilvers
                                                Message 23 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                                  --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> replied to my MoL :

                                                  > > b.s. who usually steers folks toward The Mysteries of Life for
                                                  Vulgar Boatmen spin-offs

                                                  > Did they put a record out last year, Bill?

                                                  Yup, October 23rd (if the AMG is to be believed). It's called DISTANT
                                                  RELATIVE and it's self-released, which is probably why it flew way
                                                  under my radar till this spring (and even then I kept forgetting about
                                                  it...I've finally got a copy on order, and I'll report back once i've
                                                  heard it). The MoL website appears to be down
                                                  ( members.aol.com/autobeatnik/ )
                                                  which might have a little something to do with the massive buzz the
                                                  record isn't getting.

                                                  > If you bring in the Silos, that's quite a fertile family tree.

                                                  Yeah, though The Silos are sort of the older brother of the Boatmen,
                                                  which makes them an uncle to MoL, unless they're an aunt...I'm getting
                                                  all confused now. If you bring MoL's Antenna mom into it, and the
                                                  Blake Babies grandma (or is it aunt?), well, I'm getting all confused.
                                                  <g>

                                                  b.s.
                                                • lmerlin01
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , May 20, 2002
                                                    --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> wrote:

                                                    > Almost complete information -- clicking around the site brings news
                                                    > that it is the same band, the record should be out in January and
                                                    they
                                                    > aren't doing much touring behind it. And Lisa, she'll do a solo
                                                    set
                                                    > at Bumbershoot, so there's your Seattle date!

                                                    Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                                                    Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                                                    about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                                                    one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                                                    so I can play it now?

                                                    Carl asked about Jesse Sykes. Yes, she's from Seattle and plays with
                                                    a band called the Sweet Hereafter with her boyfriend Phil, the
                                                    grumpy one who played with Whiskeytown <g>. I really like most of
                                                    the record, very melodic, sad, although her voice won't be for
                                                    everyone. Check, check , check it out!

                                                    Lisa
                                                  • Laura A Watt
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , May 21, 2002
                                                      Lisa wrote:

                                                      >Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                                                      >Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                                                      >about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                                                      >one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                                                      >so I can play it now?

                                                      It's called, aptly, "green eyes" and it's on their debut album
                                                      called, aptly, "Throwing Muses." 1987. Which is when i first heard
                                                      it, couldn't stop playing it, and have been the Muses'/KH's biggest
                                                      fan ever since.

                                                      A massive poll was recently done via the TM website to determine
                                                      folks' favorite songs, which I believe Billy is going to use in part
                                                      to great a "greatest hits" sort of thing at some point -- to see the
                                                      poll results, go to

                                                      http://www.solace.net/musings/BestMusesSongs.htm

                                                      I was somewhat mystified by some of the results -- agreed with three
                                                      in the top five (pearl, shimmer and bea), but then I fell off
                                                      completely -- only one more (delicate cutters) in the top ten, and no
                                                      others in the next ten.

                                                      waking up to hooks in my head,
                                                      laura
                                                    • czimring
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , May 21, 2002
                                                        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Laura A Watt <lawatt@n...> wrote:
                                                        > Lisa wrote:
                                                        >
                                                        > >Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
                                                        > >Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
                                                        > >about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
                                                        > >one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
                                                        > >so I can play it now?
                                                        >
                                                        > It's called, aptly, "green eyes" and it's on their debut album
                                                        > called, aptly, "Throwing Muses." 1987. Which is when i first heard
                                                        > it, couldn't stop playing it, and have been the Muses'/KH's biggest
                                                        > fan ever since.

                                                        And if you can't track down that album, it was reissued with a bunch
                                                        of early material on _In a Doghouse_ a few years ago.

                                                        [poll]
                                                        > I was somewhat mystified by some of the results -- agreed with three
                                                        > in the top five (pearl, shimmer and bea), but then I fell off
                                                        > completely -- only one more (delicate cutters) in the top ten, and no
                                                        > others in the next ten.

                                                        I dig "Hate My Way", but am *shocked* that "Call Me" didn't even make
                                                        the cut! (Both of those songs are on _Throwing Muses_ and are among
                                                        my favorite songs of the 1980s.)

                                                        Carl Z.*

                                                        *By way of a welcome to Carl Wilson on this list (our first
                                                        Canadian!), I shall now add an initial to differentiate our posts.