Re: I don't get it

  • lmerlin01
    Message 1 of 42 , Jul 3, 2002
      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:

      > most everything British

      Do you mean "new" British music like Radiohead-influenced bands like
      Coldplay,Doves, Idlewild etc? Or are you talking about the Stones and
      the Kinks, my friend?

      > Sleater-Kinney

      say it aint so, Lance. Say it aint so! Actually, you either love or
      loathe Corin Tucker's voice. I happen to love it. I can't wait for
      their new record to come out in August.

      > Wilco
      > Jimmie Dale Gilmore

      I'll agree with both of these. Jimmie Dale Gilmore's voice is so
      trembly and whiny.

      > Nick Cave

      oh the humanity! I'm going home to play the Boatman's Call <g>.

      Lisa, back to work
    • Steve Gardner
      Message 42 of 42 , Jul 4, 2002
        > To me they're just kind of tepid. I saw them play with
        >the Dismemberment Plan at the EMP in February
        >and it was all just this big long, introspective, rather
        >monotonous navel gazing type of show. They didn't
        >hold up at all to the level of energy that Travis et al bring to
        >the stage.

        I saw that show too and I'd agree with you that the Dismemberment Plan
        really did slay them and wipe them off the stage. On record I find a lot
        more to love about Death Cab, but as far as live shows go, the 'Plan is very
        hard to beat.

        > I also kind of find the Los Angeles song ironic...I loved living
        >in LA and would probably go back in a heartbeat if I had
        >a job opportunity there. But I find it interesting that people
        >from the northwest love to put this song up as some sort of
        >anthem when so much of the music scene in the area seems
        >like its trying really hard to create this micro-cosmic big-industry
        >feel LA capitol records kind of feel.

        I was bred to hate L.A. Growing up in San Francisco, you don't get much of
        a choice. <g> Actually, that's only kinda true. San Francisco, though, is
        one of the greatest cities in the entire world and I think if you grew up
        there it is very hard to put L.A. on equal footing with it. When I hear
        people complain about L.A. though it is often about the culture and the
        people. Sure the city is ugly and smoggy, but we had more than our fare
        share of that in the Bay Area. L.A. though is seen as a place where shows
        are filled with industry types that sit in the back, wear shades (inside!)
        and talk on their cell phones. It is surely seen as a big industry LA
        capitol records feel as you say, but the people in SF don't try to create or
        copy that...they actually work towards the opposite. That's what they are
        reacting against.

        I can't speak for anything north of SF, though.

        But I'm in North Carolina now, so what do I know. :^)

        steve