Pray for Rain RE: [fearnwhiskey] Re: emo

  • Hill, Christopher J
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2002
      > Carl Z.
      > hoping PiL's "The Slab" and old Pray For Rain make it to the reissue
      > stage next

      Carl, is this the same Pray for Rain that did soundtrack
      music for "Floundering" and "Roadside Prophets"? I checked
      around a long time ago, looking for further stuff by them,
      and only found a few soundtrack appearances, plus a Christian
      band with the same name (a.k.a. PfR). Have they released a
      proper album?

      Chris
      np: Tragically Hip, _In Violet Light_
    • czimring
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2002
        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Hill, Christopher J"
        <christopher.j.hill2@b...> wrote:
        > > Carl Z.
        > > hoping PiL's "The Slab" and old Pray For Rain make it to the reissue
        > > stage next
        >
        > Carl, is this the same Pray for Rain that did soundtrack
        > music for "Floundering" and "Roadside Prophets"?

        Yep, as well as part of the _Sid and Nancy_ soundtrack.

        > I checked
        > around a long time ago, looking for further stuff by them,
        > and only found a few soundtrack appearances, plus a Christian
        > band with the same name (a.k.a. PfR). Have they released a
        > proper album?

        As far as I know, the only releases they ever had were soundtracks.
        They played a bit aroound San Francisco in the late 80s, but I don't
        know what became of them.

        Speaking of cool guitar bands with no records, does anyone know if
        ex-Avenger/Chris Isaak guitarist Jimmy Wilsey will ever release a
        record with his Mysterians? I've been waiting for ages....Bruce
        Licher was supposed to have a new Scenic record by now as well.
        (Lisa, if you like the new Chris Brokaw record, check out Scenic!)

      • Laura A Watt
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2002
          Pardon me while I gossip:

          [Pray for Rain]
          >As far as I know, the only releases they ever had were soundtracks.
          >They played a bit aroound San Francisco in the late 80s, but I don't
          >know what became of them.

          I have absolutely no knowledge of the *band*, but their guitarist
          Paul Trupin lived with a very good friend of mine for a few years,
          around 1990-92 or so -- and I must be honest to say I utterly
          despised him, he was the most caustic person I've ever met in my
          life. He wasn't doing music any more, & died in 1993 or '94 of AIDS,
          after having *knowingly* passed it on to several people (fortunately
          not my friend), who all died even before he did. Horrible man.

          >Speaking of cool guitar bands with no records, does anyone know if
          >ex-Avenger/Chris Isaak guitarist Jimmy Wilsey will ever release a
          >record with his Mysterians?

          Coincidentally another local guitarist my same friend as above went
          out with, although she dated Jimmy only very briefly -- clearly she
          has terrible taste, as he was always incredibly nice while Paul was
          such a jerk! Now I'm just waiting for someone to bring up the
          Counting Crows, as Dave Bryson was yet another guy on the long list
          of her former boyfriends...

          woke up on memory lane this morning,
          laura

          *****
          http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/~lawatt
          "You said to me, 'You're from California;
          you laugh too easily'" --Mark Eitzel