more on emo

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2002
      I found this conversation while searching the web under emo. Almost every
      emo discussion I've read goes something like this. This will just confuse
      matters more, but I think it is pretty humorous and well worth a quick read:

      yes, i realise i'm leaving my inbox open to all kinds of smartarse
      australia... not by that name anyway. definition of emo?

      -- minna (girl_thursday@...), March 16, 2002

      Answers

      hey don't worry minna, i don't know what emo is either.

      -- di (ladydie6@...), March 16, 2002.

      ----

      This might help
      But I think the meaning is different now.

      -- Todd Burns (editor@...), March 16, 2002.

      ----

      people here have been sending me to allmusic.com to do a style search when I
      don't know what they're talking about. There's some info to be had on their
      site.

      -- Ron Hudson (ohronny@...), March 16, 2002.

      ----

      emo is god.

      -- ethan (ethanp@...), March 16, 2002.

      ----

      -- bnw (bweiss@...), March 16, 2002.

      ----

      Emo got a haircut.

      -- Daver (daver@...), March 16, 2002.

      ----

      I echo Minna's question. I've heard bands as diverse as Death Cab for Cutie
      and Dashboard Confessional (the latter being the most rancid dollop of
      spooge to dribble down the pike in a great while) both get tagged "emo," yet
      I hear not sonic affinity between them.

      -- Alex in NYC (vassifer@...), March 16, 2002.

      ----

      Minna, you're certainly correct about it not existing in Australia. I'm not
      aware of any local emo. Perhaps Screamfeeder are as close as we get?

      -- electric sound of jim (electricsound@...), March 16, 2002.

      ----

      Of course Emo exists here (unfortunately!) I think on the whole we tend to
      get more of your sort of HC/screamo stuff, like Conation, etc.
      But there's also bands like Heartfelt Self (which are a Promise Ring/Braid
      rip off at best) Think Tank and Blueline Medic plus a whole host of awful
      Adelaide based stuff. I'm under the impression that there's a pretty huge
      Hornsby straight edge emo/hc scene in Sydney as well, but I've never really
      delved into it.

      Even if you look outside of the immediate punk scene, bands like The Sea
      Scouts and The Vivian Girls, while perhaps not immediately identifying with
      any particular leading lights in the genre seem to exhibit plenty of
      identifying characteristics.

      -- Oliver (ocpalmer@...), March 16, 2002.

      ----

      Is it like an Ustrich?

      -- Mat O (winterland77@...), March 16, 2002.

      ----

      the fantastic walker kong have a terrific song called 'the vivien girls' but
      i suppose that they are not emo. not enough sweaters.

      -- keith (keythkeyth@...), March 16, 2002.

      ----

      Rchives R 4 analists

      -- mark s (mark@...), March 16, 2002.

      ----

      An emo kid dies in my latest film.

      -- JM (jimmythemod@...), March 16, 2002.

      ----

      Dont know what it means but try the Ep "emo" by casstte on paydirt music.

      -- kiwi (csisherwood@...), March 16, 2002.

      ----

      Yeah, seriously: I think a moratorium needs to be declared on "what is emo"
      threads, as they all wind up exactly the same.
      What's emo?
      If it's anything like X, it's terrible.
      [Someone posts fourfa link.]
      [No one goes to fourfa link/]
      Yeah, emo's dumb.
      Yeah, emo fans are dumb.
      What's emo again?

      -- Nitsuh (nitsuhpitch@...), March 16, 2002.

      ----

      Actually, wait: this last one was worth it for Byron's pun.

      -- Nitsuh (nitsuhpitch@...), March 16, 2002.

      ----

      Texas Is The Reason.

      -- mt (current313@...), March 16, 2002.

      ----

      Emo is short for 'emotional' ... dashboard, get up kids... you know where
      I'm going with this.

      -- Amber (animalponcho@...), June 10, 2002.
      --
      Steve Gardner - Topsoil/Haywire - Sun. 12-3pm
      WXDU 88.7FM Durham NC and on the Net at www.wxdu.org
      Fresh Dirt Webzine: www.topsoil.net/freshdirt
      * steve@... **** www.topsoil.net *