Re: [fearnwhiskey] emo

  • Lance Davis
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 2, 2002
      <<What is emo?>>

      Definition 1: Loud, humorless navelgazing music.

      Definition 2: UnBlues.

      Lance "Insert <g's> where appropriate" Davis

      =====
      "I know what you say, you say you serve the youth
      You serve them Bizkits and Korn with a spoon
      But I think you just serve you."
      --Brent Best

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • Wilson, Carl
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 2, 2002
        A lot of it, at least in the current usage, is not all that navelgazing nor
        humourless. (And if we trace it back to Fugazi, you have to say that
        sometimes it's not entirely a bad thing even when it is navelgazing and
        humourless.) "Unblues" is decidedly fair, though.

        Basically emo now is just another name for young pop-punk bands - sometimes
        notably introspective, sometimes not, sometimes Fugazi-esquely
        stop-start-jazzy in approach, sometimes not. It's been so stretched that it
        has no specific meaning. Which is to say: Ignore This Term.

        Definition 1: Loud, humorless navelgazing music.

        Definition 2: UnBlues.

        Lance "Insert <g's> where appropriate" Davis

        =====
        "I know what you say, you say you serve the youth
        You serve them Bizkits and Korn with a spoon
        But I think you just serve you."
        --Brent Best

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
      • Steve Gardner
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 2, 2002
          I think you could break the definition of emo down to bands that are yelly.
          Yes, yelly. The Promise Ring kinda confuses the matter because they were
          often seen as a textbook emo band, but then their latest CD was a new
          direction for the band...more poppy.

          Here is a website that goes on to define Emo by more than just "yelly" and
          even includes fashion tips: http://www.fourfa.com/

          One thing I've noticed about emo is that whenever one person says what it is
          and gives a few records by example, there is always someone else right there
          to disagree and say the first person doesn't know what the hell they are
          talking about. It's one of the best indie rock arguments, I think.

          steve
        • wfsilvers
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 2, 2002
            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "lmerlin01" <lmerlin01@y...> wrote:
            > Can someone please explain what the fork emo is?

            There's a website for just that purpose.

            http://www.fourfa.com/

            <g>,
            b.s.
          • czimring
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 2, 2002
              --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "lmerlin01" <lmerlin01@y...> wrote:
              > It's
              > described as emo too but I wouldn't know emo vs some form of indie
              > rock if I tripped over it. Give me some examples, kids

              Anguished facial expressions. Since there are subsequent posts I
              haven't read yet, I won't say much more other than Fugazi is a major
              influence upon the genre.

              > Lisa "hey how is that Chris Brokaw CD Carl?"

              It's completely solo on electric guitar and overdubbed percussion.
              Intense, driving riffs, much like Savage Republic's _Ceremonial_
              (which recently got reissued on CD). I love it, and with the Savage
              Republic reissues, 2002 is turning out to be a pretty good year for
              guitar instrumentals.

              Carl Z.
              hoping PiL's "The Slab" and old Pray For Rain make it to the reissue
              stage next
            • lmerlin01
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 2, 2002
                --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Steve Gardner" <steve@t...> wrote:

                > I think you could break the definition of emo down to bands that
                are yelly.
                > Yes, yelly.

                Do I like yelly bands, Steve? I'm not sure <g>. Thanks for the site.
                The term is a bit irritating as I think all music is emotional.

                I did find out how to be a cool emoster on the site though.

                Lisa "Steve Gardner needs to give Pedro the Lion another chance"
                Merlin

                the Emo Romulan look - short, thick, greasy, dyed-black hair with
                bangs cut straight across the forehead, and cut high over the ears.
                Someone from Time In Malta recently described to me the San Diego
                Crimson Curse scene as "Spock Rock."
                actually, any greasy dyed black hair. Bangs in front and spikes in
                back is very emo too.
                horn-rim glasses, or at least thick black frames.
                bald head, furry face (boys only). Goes especially well with horn-
                rims.
                heavy slacks, often too tight and short.
                thin, too-small polyester button-ups in dark colors, or threadbare
                children's size t-shirts with random slogans. Button the collar if
                you got one.
                clunky black shoes
                scarves
                gas station jackets. This has diffused a lot over the years though,
                it's no longer exclusive to emo kids. Nowadays, you may want to
                select a nice corduroy denim jacket.
                also classic outerwear but quickly diffusing to normality: the
                famous Blue Peacoat
                barrettes on boys
                make-up (male or female)
                too-small cardigans and v-neck sweaters
                argyle
                anorexic thinness. Veganism helps here
              • czimring
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 2, 2002
                  --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "lmerlin01" <lmerlin01@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Steve Gardner" <steve@t...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I think you could break the definition of emo down to bands that
                  > are yelly.
                  > > Yes, yelly.
                  >
                  > Do I like yelly bands, Steve? I'm not sure <g>. Thanks for the site.
                  > The term is a bit irritating as I think all music is emotional.

                  Having spent much of the evening in a bar with horrible "classic
                  rock", I'm not sure I can say that Yes is emotional. (Styx is
                  emotional.) But I see your point.

                  > I did find out how to be a cool emoster on the site though.
                  >
                  > Lisa "Steve Gardner needs to give Pedro the Lion another chance"
                  > Merlin

                  What do you recommend off the new record, Lisa? I can't remember
                  listening to it.

                  > the Emo Romulan look -
                  > anorexic thinness. Veganism helps here

                  Damn. I so failed this test.

                  Carl Z.
                • lmerlin01
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 2, 2002
                    --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:
                    > <<What is emo?>>
                    >
                    > Definition 1: Loud, humorless navelgazing music.
                    >
                    > Definition 2: UnBlues.

                    What, you were never moved enough to do the emo tremble*, Lance?

                    OK OK, enough already, I promise<g>

                    Lisa

                    *The is a particular emo dance sometimes seen in the audience at emo
                    shows. It's known as "the emo tremble." The trembler clasps his/her
                    hands together (wringing them from time to time), leans forward,
                    bounces quickly on the balls of the feet, and shakes the upper torso
                    in time to the music. Once in a while the trembler will grab the
                    back of the head and rock back and forth. The more the person likes
                    the band, the more he or she will double over.
                  • Jyl Freed
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 2, 2002
                      From: czimring >
                      > Do I like yelly bands, Steve? I'm not sure <g>. Thanks for the site.
                      > The term is a bit irritating as I think all music is emotional.

                      <<Having spent much of the evening in a bar with horrible "classic
                      rock", I'm not sure I can say that Yes is emotional. (Styx is
                      emotional.) But I see your point.>>

                      I agree with you on the Yes thing. I guess Styx is emotional
                      in an Andrew Lloyd Weber kind of way. <g>

                      Jyl "midnight, and the kitties are sleeping..." Freed

                    • lmerlin01
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 2, 2002
                        Carl writes:

                        > What do you recommend off the new record, Lisa? I can't remember
                        > listening to it.

                        I left the CD at my mind numbing data entry job so this is off the
                        top of my head. I first heard Pedro on KEXP here in Seattle, they
                        get pretty heavy airplay here. David Bazan's voice is slow, droning
                        and the music can be heavy and plodding and the lyrics pretty
                        depressing (the record is about marriage and infidelity)--hey sounds
                        like emo, eh <g>? I don't know, I really like the CD and find
                        myself singing and humming along to most of the tracks. Anyway, I
                        don't think you'll like them, Carl, but I like Options, Penetration,
                        Magazine a lot.

                        Lisa

                        From Rolling Stone:
                        To get it out of the way quickly: Pedro the Lion's David Bazan is a
                        devout Christian and as far as our lives find their way into our
                        work, his songs could be analyzed for their religious references.
                        But far beyond any iconography, his music is arresting in its
                        simplicity and emotion; his lyrics not preachy, but critical of the
                        day's newscast and of weak souls. And while on three previous albums
                        the former Seattle hardcore punk dialed back his vitriolic music in
                        favor of a quieter examination - both good and bad - of
                        relationships, his latest release Control reveals a restrained,
                        calculating rocker. After recording previous albums almost entirely
                        on his own, Bazan brings in bassist Casey Foubert and drummer Trey
                        Many for this release, giving him room to focus sharply on his edgy,
                        dirgeful guitar and dark, enveloping lyrics. On the
                        driving "Penetration" Bazan rails against corporate America's drone
                        mentality: "If it isn't making dollars, it isn't making sense/If you
                        aren't moving units than you aren't worth the expense." And in his
                        best Bob Mould impersonation, the married Bazan questions a lover's
                        infidelity on "Rehearsal" with the detached emotion of someone who's
                        been there before. Control is not a record for people looking to
                        brighten up their lives - the ten songs are almost an even split
                        between those that deconstruct damaged relationships and those that
                        find extreme fault in American consumerism. But if difficult topics
                        can't be examined with such musical acuity -- and Bazan has much to
                        say -- we are all a lot worse off.
                        ANDREW STRICKMAN
                      • Lance Davis
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 2, 2002
                          I liked Emo Tremble's early stuff ... before they got all
                          preachy. That song about leather pants was my fave ; )

                          Must hurt self ... must hurt self ...

                          Lance

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 2, 2002
                            Would Joy Division or Sisters of Mercy be emo?

                            Jyl

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 2, 2002
                              --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Jyl Freed" <freed@m...> wrote:

> [...]

                              Oh yes. Which is not to say that all emotions (or bands) are desirable.

                              > Jyl "midnight, and the kitties are sleeping..." Freed

                              domo,
                              Carl "my least favorite White Sox fan is Dennis DeYoung" Z.
                            • czimring
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 2, 2002
                                --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Jyl Freed" <freed@m...> wrote:
                                > Would Joy Division or Sisters of Mercy be emo?

                                I think emo is grounded in the early 90s, so no. Pretty damn goth,
                                though.

                                Are there other overtly Christian emo bands aside from Sunny Day Real
                                Estate? Seems like there would be.

                                Carl Z.
                              • Steve Gardner
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 3, 2002
                                  >Do I like yelly bands, Steve? I'm not sure <g>. Thanks for the site.

                                  I think you like some of it. <g>

                                  >The term is a bit irritating as I think all music is emotional.

                                  I've actually always heard that emo is short for emotive, and not emotional.

                                  >Lisa "Steve Gardner needs to give Pedro the Lion another chance"
                                  >Merlin

                                  I will.
                                  steve
                                • Kathleen Loebig
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 3, 2002
                                    > I guess Styx is emotional<BR>
                                    � in an Andrew Lloyd Weber kind of way. <g><BR>

                                    That may be the most apt comparison I've ever heard..

                                    Kathleen "who can never get her kitty to sleep at a reasonable hour.." Loebig

                                    � Jyl� "midnight, and the� kitties are sleeping..."� Freed<BR>
                                    <BR>
                                    <BR>
                                    <BR>
                                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]<BR>
                                    <BR>
                                    </tt>

                                    <tt>
                                    To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<BR>
                                    fearnwhiskey-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<BR>
                                    <BR>
                                    </tt>

                                    Download the free Opera browser at http://www.opera.com/

                                    Free OperaMail at http://www.operamail.com/

                                    Powered by Outblaze
                                  • Kelly Kessler
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 3, 2002
                                      > Kathleen "who can never get her kitty to sleep at a reasonable hour.."
                                      Loebig

                                      Is it hot in here?
                                    • Lance Davis
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 3, 2002
                                        1. The Emo Band Name Generator -
                                        http://members.aol.com/Valdes379/EmoGame.html

                                        My band is Compound Best. Hmmm ... I wonder if we're related to
                                        Brent Best?

                                        2. Related to the name generator is this handy-dandy emo band
                                        name rule book -
                                        http://www.bandphotography.com/newbands3/emobandname.html

                                        My favorite is Rule # 6: "Don't name the band after a girl you
                                        like. Thats just a no no."

                                        3. "What is emo?" is a question that has stumped numerous
                                        experts in the field. But if there's one thing they all can
                                        agree on, it's that it's charged with homoeroticism ... if the
                                        picture on this site is any indication <g> -
                                        http://www.fourfa.com/

                                        4. We may not know what the fuck emo is, but we can sure dress
                                        the part. Check out this site to find out "How to be emo" -
                                        http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/4891/emo.html

                                        5. Finally, the musical genre known as "emo" has nothing to do
                                        with Emo Phillips - http://www.emophillips.com/. Although, both
                                        have an uncanny ability to annoy even the most temperate of
                                        dispositions.

                                        Lance

                                        =====