green on red/ down there (was- Re: new reissues)

  • Jeff J <jeffj@blast.net>
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2003
      Who else was on the label? I only own the Dream Syndicate and
      G on R eps.

      Speaking of Ruby, I'd love to see a proper collection of the
      Flesheaters and Divine Horsemen. Of course, recognizing the
      "difficult" quality of Chris D's vocals, I'm probably in the minority
      there, but the John Doe/Dave Alvin presence could be a selling
      point. And unfortunately, most of the Divine Horsmen's output
      (much of which rocks in a Shiners kinda way) came out on SST.
      so, as with Husker Du, I'm not holding my breath for that to come
      out. If I ever get my shit together, I owe a number of folks a Divine
      Horsemen cd-r.

      Jeff J, recalling a Divine Horsemen/ Flaming Lips double bill at a
      tiny club on NY's westside. Damn, I'm old.

      --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "samchecker
    • samchecker <oneriot@oneriot.com>
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2003
        --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff J <jeffj@b...>"
        <jeffj@b...> wrote:
        > Who else was on the label? I only own the Dream Syndicate and
        > G on R eps.

        I'm pretty sure the first True West release was on Down There. Other
        than that...maybe Thin White Rope? I dunno, but I bet Dr. CAZ or Mock
        the DJ would know.

        Mark
      • brad_bechtel <bbechtel@leapfrog.com>
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2003
          > > Who else was on the label? I only own the Dream Syndicate and
          > > G on R eps.

          Top Jimmy and the Rhythym Pigs, "Pigus Drunkus Maximus"
          Naked Prey, "Naked Prey"
        • czimring <cz28@andrew.cmu.edu>
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 3, 2003
            <oneriot@o...> wrote:
            > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff J <jeffj@b...>"
            > <jeffj@b...> wrote:
            > > Who else was on the label? I only own the Dream Syndicate and
            > > G on R eps.
            >
            > I'm pretty sure the first True West release was on Down There.
            Other
            > than that...maybe Thin White Rope? I dunno, but I bet Dr. CAZ or
            Mock
            > the DJ would know.

            It wasn't Thin White Rope; they (with American Music Club) were
            cornerstones of the Frontier/Grifter label (well, Grifer was just Tom
            Mallon's imprint on Frontier). Maybe the Three O'Clock or some of
            Wynn's other running buddies....Paul?

            Carl Z.
          • Dave Purcell
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 3, 2003
              I was curious too, so I checked out allmusic.com. According to them,
              Down There had:

              - Top Jimmy & the Rhythm Pigs (2)
              - Doctor's Children (2)
              - Divine Weeks (2)
              - Russ Tolman (2)
              - Naked Prey (2)
              - Green on Red (2)
              - Dream Syndicate (2)

              dp

              > > Who else was on the label? I only own the Dream Syndicate and
              > > G on R eps.
              >
              > I'm pretty sure the first True West release was on Down There.
              Other
              > than that...maybe Thin White Rope? I dunno, but I bet Dr. CAZ or
              Mock
              > the DJ would know.

              It wasn't Thin White Rope; they (with American Music Club) were
              cornerstones of the Frontier/Grifter label (well, Grifer was just Tom
              Mallon's imprint on Frontier). Maybe the Three O'Clock or some of
              Wynn's other running buddies....Paul?

              Carl Z.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • czimring <cz28@andrew.cmu.edu>
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 3, 2003
                --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Purcell" <dave@p...> wrote:
                > I was curious too, so I checked out allmusic.com. According to them,
                > Down There had:
                >
                > - Top Jimmy & the Rhythm Pigs (2)
                > - Doctor's Children (2)
                > - Divine Weeks (2)
                > - Russ Tolman (2)

                And Tolman's Innerstate (a label he runs with Pat Thomas) distributed
                _Here Come the Miracles_ in the US. We have a couple of his solo
                albums at WRCT; I'll see if either is a Down There release the next
                time I'm in the station.