Re: Rank and File news

  • Barry Mazor <brmaz@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
      I have something of the same reaction as Dave; I've got a self-burned CD-R
      with Sundown and chunks of the next two R&F LPs on it (having donated
      the vinyl to the Twangfest auction a while back, and while Sundown is
      pleasant, the next ones get rela thin fast--and the overall doesn't strike me
      as holding up as well as the bests of heir contemporaries... Glad to see the
      music available to people again though.

      Barry

    • ahacksaw1 <ahacksaw@earthlink.net>
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
        --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff J <jeffj@b...>"
        <jeffj@b...> wrote:

        > R&F hasn't aged too well for me either. Of course, Sundown is,
        > in my opinion, their only release of any musical value and it
        > would be a good thing if that horrid self-titled Rhino record
        could
        > be erased from the roots rock timeline. Interesting that Rhino
        is
        > the one putting this out. Heh.

        I agree, Sundown is their only consistent album, and that's the
        one I'm excited about having on CD. Maybe I'll find that it doesn't
        hold up for me, either, but I dunno--I remember those songs
        pretty clearly, and they still sound great in my memory.

        > There's also a Dils retrospective on Dionysus Records. Too
        > many badly recorded live tracks for me

        That's kind of what I figured, which is why I've avoided picking it
        up. I was a Dils fan, but I'm not sure how well their stuff will hold
        up 25 years later.

        > I got the same feeling from what I heard and those
        big-brimmed
        > Homer Simpson-ish cowboy hats didn't help. <g> But I keep on
        > hearing good things so I'd like to check out their new release. I
        > gotta say that Cowboy Nation is better than Blackbird.

        Their first record didn't do anything for me. But I heard a few clips
        from their most recent release and liked them well enough to
        order it (it was dirt cheap on Half.com), though I've learned that
        you really can't tell much about a record from those 30-second
        clips, no matter how many you listen to. I'll report back when I get
        the record.