RE: [fearnwhiskey] Rank and File news

  • Dave Purcell
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
      Interesting. I dug out my vinyl copy of Sundown not too long ago and was
      somewhat disappointed that it didn't stand up too well. "Amanda Ruth" is
      still a catchy-as-hell song, though. Maybe I wasn't in the mood.

      How is Cowboy Nation? I got one of their records a few years back and
      really hated it, it felt like a complete novelty effort.

      dp

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
        --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Purcell"
        <dave@p...> wrote:
        > Interesting. I dug out my vinyl copy of Sundown not too long ago
        and was
        > somewhat disappointed that it didn't stand up too well.

        R&F hasn't aged too well for me either. Of course, Sundown is,
        in my opinion, their only release of any musical value and it
        would be a good thing if that horrid self-titled Rhino record could
        be erased from the roots rock timeline. Interesting that Rhino is
        the one putting this out. Heh.

        There's also a Dils retrospective on Dionysus Records. Too
        many badly recorded live tracks for me but it does include an
        early version of "Sound Of The Rain", my favorite Dils/R&F song. I
        don't have the record here at my office but I'm thinking/hoping it's
        the John Cale-produced 45 version, not a live track. The
        Kinmans have a rather basic Dils website here:
        http://vcp-inc.com/kinman/dils/thedils.htm

        > How is Cowboy Nation? I got one of their records a few years
        back and
        > really hated it, it felt like a complete novelty effort.

        I got the same feeling from what I heard and those big-brimmed
        Homer Simpson-ish cowboy hats didn't help. <g> But I keep on
        hearing good things so I'd like to check out their new release. I
        gotta say that Cowboy Nation is better than Blackbird.

        Jeff J
      • Barry Mazor <brmaz@earthlink.net>
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
          I have something of the same reaction as Dave; I've got a self-burned CD-R
          with Sundown and chunks of the next two R&F LPs on it (having donated
          the vinyl to the Twangfest auction a while back, and while Sundown is
          pleasant, the next ones get rela thin fast--and the overall doesn't strike me
          as holding up as well as the bests of heir contemporaries... Glad to see the
          music available to people again though.

          Barry

        • ahacksaw1 <ahacksaw@earthlink.net>
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
            --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff J <jeffj@b...>"
            <jeffj@b...> wrote:

            > R&F hasn't aged too well for me either. Of course, Sundown is,
            > in my opinion, their only release of any musical value and it
            > would be a good thing if that horrid self-titled Rhino record
            could
            > be erased from the roots rock timeline. Interesting that Rhino
            is
            > the one putting this out. Heh.

            I agree, Sundown is their only consistent album, and that's the
            one I'm excited about having on CD. Maybe I'll find that it doesn't
            hold up for me, either, but I dunno--I remember those songs
            pretty clearly, and they still sound great in my memory.

            > There's also a Dils retrospective on Dionysus Records. Too
            > many badly recorded live tracks for me

            That's kind of what I figured, which is why I've avoided picking it
            up. I was a Dils fan, but I'm not sure how well their stuff will hold
            up 25 years later.

            > I got the same feeling from what I heard and those
            big-brimmed
            > Homer Simpson-ish cowboy hats didn't help. <g> But I keep on
            > hearing good things so I'd like to check out their new release. I
            > gotta say that Cowboy Nation is better than Blackbird.

            Their first record didn't do anything for me. But I heard a few clips
            from their most recent release and liked them well enough to
            order it (it was dirt cheap on Half.com), though I've learned that
            you really can't tell much about a record from those 30-second
            clips, no matter how many you listen to. I'll report back when I get
            the record.