Re: new reissues

  • samchecker <oneriot@oneriot.com>
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2003
      --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, Carl Abraham Zimring <cz28@a...>
      wrote:

      > Green on Red Gravity Talks (Wounded Bird)

      I listened to this on vinyl over at John Wendland's house over the
      summer, and much as it pains me to say it, except for the title track
      this sucker just does not hold up 15-20 years later (I can't remember
      the original release date, but it had to have been mid-80's). After
      "Gravity Talks" spins, there's not an interesting tune on it. Man,
      maybe they peaked with their EP on Down There... Come to think of it,
      except for the Dream Syndicate (who peaked with their first
      long-player on Ruby/Slash), all the Down There bands did their best
      work on that label.

      Mark
    • Jeff J <jeffj@blast.net>
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2003
        Who else was on the label? I only own the Dream Syndicate and
        G on R eps.

        Speaking of Ruby, I'd love to see a proper collection of the
        Flesheaters and Divine Horsemen. Of course, recognizing the
        "difficult" quality of Chris D's vocals, I'm probably in the minority
        there, but the John Doe/Dave Alvin presence could be a selling
        point. And unfortunately, most of the Divine Horsmen's output
        (much of which rocks in a Shiners kinda way) came out on SST.
        so, as with Husker Du, I'm not holding my breath for that to come
        out. If I ever get my shit together, I owe a number of folks a Divine
        Horsemen cd-r.

        Jeff J, recalling a Divine Horsemen/ Flaming Lips double bill at a
        tiny club on NY's westside. Damn, I'm old.

        --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "samchecker
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2003
          --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff J <jeffj@b...>"
          <jeffj@b...> wrote:
          > Who else was on the label? I only own the Dream Syndicate and
          > G on R eps.

          I'm pretty sure the first True West release was on Down There. Other
          than that...maybe Thin White Rope? I dunno, but I bet Dr. CAZ or Mock
          the DJ would know.

          Mark
        • brad_bechtel <bbechtel@leapfrog.com>
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2003
            > > Who else was on the label? I only own the Dream Syndicate and
            > > G on R eps.

            Top Jimmy and the Rhythym Pigs, "Pigus Drunkus Maximus"
            Naked Prey, "Naked Prey"
          • czimring <cz28@andrew.cmu.edu>
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 3, 2003
              <oneriot@o...> wrote:
              > --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff J <jeffj@b...>"
              > <jeffj@b...> wrote:
              > > Who else was on the label? I only own the Dream Syndicate and
              > > G on R eps.
              >
              > I'm pretty sure the first True West release was on Down There.
              Other
              > than that...maybe Thin White Rope? I dunno, but I bet Dr. CAZ or
              Mock
              > the DJ would know.

              It wasn't Thin White Rope; they (with American Music Club) were
              cornerstones of the Frontier/Grifter label (well, Grifer was just Tom
              Mallon's imprint on Frontier). Maybe the Three O'Clock or some of
              Wynn's other running buddies....Paul?

              Carl Z.
            • Dave Purcell
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 3, 2003
                I was curious too, so I checked out allmusic.com. According to them,
                Down There had:

                - Top Jimmy & the Rhythm Pigs (2)
                - Doctor's Children (2)
                - Divine Weeks (2)
                - Russ Tolman (2)
                - Naked Prey (2)
                - Green on Red (2)
                - Dream Syndicate (2)

                dp

                > > Who else was on the label? I only own the Dream Syndicate and
                > > G on R eps.
                >
                > I'm pretty sure the first True West release was on Down There.
                Other
                > than that...maybe Thin White Rope? I dunno, but I bet Dr. CAZ or
                Mock
                > the DJ would know.

                It wasn't Thin White Rope; they (with American Music Club) were
                cornerstones of the Frontier/Grifter label (well, Grifer was just Tom
                Mallon's imprint on Frontier). Maybe the Three O'Clock or some of
                Wynn's other running buddies....Paul?

                Carl Z.

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • czimring <cz28@andrew.cmu.edu>
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 3, 2003
                  --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Purcell" <dave@p...> wrote:
                  > I was curious too, so I checked out allmusic.com. According to them,
                  > Down There had:
                  >
                  > - Top Jimmy & the Rhythm Pigs (2)
                  > - Doctor's Children (2)
                  > - Divine Weeks (2)
                  > - Russ Tolman (2)

                  And Tolman's Innerstate (a label he runs with Pat Thomas) distributed
                  _Here Come the Miracles_ in the US. We have a couple of his solo
                  albums at WRCT; I'll see if either is a Down There release the next
                  time I'm in the station.