Re: Rank and File news

  • Jerry Curry <jerrycurry@attbi.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
      Thanks Amy....

      Don't read P2 hardly at all anymore so, I sure do
      appreciate the X-post.

      WOW...excellent. Easily, the best news I've
      heard all....um, year.

      I think I have their entire output on mp3, but this
      will be great to have as well.

      JErry

      --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "ahacksaw1 <ahacksaw@e...>"
      <ahacksaw@e...> wrote:

      > BIG NEWS, Coming Soon:
      > RANK AND FILE ON CD "THE SLASH YEARS"
      > will be release in SPRING 2003, available exclusively from
      > WWW.RHINOHANDMADE.COM
    • Dave Purcell
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
        Interesting. I dug out my vinyl copy of Sundown not too long ago and was
        somewhat disappointed that it didn't stand up too well. "Amanda Ruth" is
        still a catchy-as-hell song, though. Maybe I wasn't in the mood.

        How is Cowboy Nation? I got one of their records a few years back and
        really hated it, it felt like a complete novelty effort.

        dp

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
          --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Purcell"
          <dave@p...> wrote:
          > Interesting. I dug out my vinyl copy of Sundown not too long ago
          and was
          > somewhat disappointed that it didn't stand up too well.

          R&F hasn't aged too well for me either. Of course, Sundown is,
          in my opinion, their only release of any musical value and it
          would be a good thing if that horrid self-titled Rhino record could
          be erased from the roots rock timeline. Interesting that Rhino is
          the one putting this out. Heh.

          There's also a Dils retrospective on Dionysus Records. Too
          many badly recorded live tracks for me but it does include an
          early version of "Sound Of The Rain", my favorite Dils/R&F song. I
          don't have the record here at my office but I'm thinking/hoping it's
          the John Cale-produced 45 version, not a live track. The
          Kinmans have a rather basic Dils website here:
          http://vcp-inc.com/kinman/dils/thedils.htm

          > How is Cowboy Nation? I got one of their records a few years
          back and
          > really hated it, it felt like a complete novelty effort.

          I got the same feeling from what I heard and those big-brimmed
          Homer Simpson-ish cowboy hats didn't help. <g> But I keep on
          hearing good things so I'd like to check out their new release. I
          gotta say that Cowboy Nation is better than Blackbird.

          Jeff J
        • Barry Mazor <brmaz@earthlink.net>
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
            I have something of the same reaction as Dave; I've got a self-burned CD-R
            with Sundown and chunks of the next two R&F LPs on it (having donated
            the vinyl to the Twangfest auction a while back, and while Sundown is
            pleasant, the next ones get rela thin fast--and the overall doesn't strike me
            as holding up as well as the bests of heir contemporaries... Glad to see the
            music available to people again though.

            Barry

          • ahacksaw1 <ahacksaw@earthlink.net>
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
              --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff J <jeffj@b...>"
              <jeffj@b...> wrote:

              > R&F hasn't aged too well for me either. Of course, Sundown is,
              > in my opinion, their only release of any musical value and it
              > would be a good thing if that horrid self-titled Rhino record
              could
              > be erased from the roots rock timeline. Interesting that Rhino
              is
              > the one putting this out. Heh.

              I agree, Sundown is their only consistent album, and that's the
              one I'm excited about having on CD. Maybe I'll find that it doesn't
              hold up for me, either, but I dunno--I remember those songs
              pretty clearly, and they still sound great in my memory.

              > There's also a Dils retrospective on Dionysus Records. Too
              > many badly recorded live tracks for me

              That's kind of what I figured, which is why I've avoided picking it
              up. I was a Dils fan, but I'm not sure how well their stuff will hold
              up 25 years later.

              > I got the same feeling from what I heard and those
              big-brimmed
              > Homer Simpson-ish cowboy hats didn't help. <g> But I keep on
              > hearing good things so I'd like to check out their new release. I
              > gotta say that Cowboy Nation is better than Blackbird.

              Their first record didn't do anything for me. But I heard a few clips
              from their most recent release and liked them well enough to
              order it (it was dirt cheap on Half.com), though I've learned that
              you really can't tell much about a record from those 30-second
              clips, no matter how many you listen to. I'll report back when I get
              the record.