Rank and File news

  • ahacksaw1 <ahacksaw@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2003
      I just posted this on P2, and thought a few people over here
      might be interested to. I went to Cowboy Nation's site last night
      to see if they had any sound clips (if you're not familiar with them,
      they're Chip and Tony Kinman's current band) and found this
      exciting bit of info posted on their homepage:

      BIG NEWS, Coming Soon:
      RANK AND FILE ON CD "THE SLASH YEARS"
      will be release in SPRING 2003, available exclusively from
      WWW.RHINOHANDMADE.COM

      I've been waiting for years and years for Sundown to be available
      on CD, so I'm thrilled to hear it will finally be available.

      --Amy
    • Jerry Curry <jerrycurry@attbi.com>
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
        Thanks Amy....

        Don't read P2 hardly at all anymore so, I sure do
        appreciate the X-post.

        WOW...excellent. Easily, the best news I've
        heard all....um, year.

        I think I have their entire output on mp3, but this
        will be great to have as well.

        JErry

        --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "ahacksaw1 <ahacksaw@e...>"
        <ahacksaw@e...> wrote:

        > BIG NEWS, Coming Soon:
        > RANK AND FILE ON CD "THE SLASH YEARS"
        > will be release in SPRING 2003, available exclusively from
        > WWW.RHINOHANDMADE.COM
      • Dave Purcell
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
          Interesting. I dug out my vinyl copy of Sundown not too long ago and was
          somewhat disappointed that it didn't stand up too well. "Amanda Ruth" is
          still a catchy-as-hell song, though. Maybe I wasn't in the mood.

          How is Cowboy Nation? I got one of their records a few years back and
          really hated it, it felt like a complete novelty effort.

          dp

          I just posted this on P2, and thought a few people over here
          might be interested to. I went to Cowboy Nation's site last night
          to see if they had any sound clips (if you're not familiar with them,
          they're Chip and Tony Kinman's current band) and found this
          exciting bit of info posted on their homepage:

          BIG NEWS, Coming Soon:
          RANK AND FILE ON CD "THE SLASH YEARS"
          will be release in SPRING 2003, available exclusively from
          WWW.RHINOHANDMADE.COM

          I've been waiting for years and years for Sundown to be available
          on CD, so I'm thrilled to hear it will finally be available.

          --Amy

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=234081.2814790.4175286.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=1707
          423753:HM/A=1327986/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870027;7586687;a
          ?http://www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=234081.2814790.4175286.1925585/D=egrou
          pmail/S=:HM/A=1327986/rand=400272111>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Jeff J <jeffj@blast.net>
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
            --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Purcell"
            <dave@p...> wrote:
            > Interesting. I dug out my vinyl copy of Sundown not too long ago
            and was
            > somewhat disappointed that it didn't stand up too well.

            R&F hasn't aged too well for me either. Of course, Sundown is,
            in my opinion, their only release of any musical value and it
            would be a good thing if that horrid self-titled Rhino record could
            be erased from the roots rock timeline. Interesting that Rhino is
            the one putting this out. Heh.

            There's also a Dils retrospective on Dionysus Records. Too
            many badly recorded live tracks for me but it does include an
            early version of "Sound Of The Rain", my favorite Dils/R&F song. I
            don't have the record here at my office but I'm thinking/hoping it's
            the John Cale-produced 45 version, not a live track. The
            Kinmans have a rather basic Dils website here:
            http://vcp-inc.com/kinman/dils/thedils.htm

            > How is Cowboy Nation? I got one of their records a few years
            back and
            > really hated it, it felt like a complete novelty effort.

            I got the same feeling from what I heard and those big-brimmed
            Homer Simpson-ish cowboy hats didn't help. <g> But I keep on
            hearing good things so I'd like to check out their new release. I
            gotta say that Cowboy Nation is better than Blackbird.

            Jeff J
          • Barry Mazor <brmaz@earthlink.net>
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
              I have something of the same reaction as Dave; I've got a self-burned CD-R
              with Sundown and chunks of the next two R&F LPs on it (having donated
              the vinyl to the Twangfest auction a while back, and while Sundown is
              pleasant, the next ones get rela thin fast--and the overall doesn't strike me
              as holding up as well as the bests of heir contemporaries... Glad to see the
              music available to people again though.

              Barry

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
                --- In fearnwhiskey@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff J <jeffj@b...>"
                <jeffj@b...> wrote:

                > R&F hasn't aged too well for me either. Of course, Sundown is,
                > in my opinion, their only release of any musical value and it
                > would be a good thing if that horrid self-titled Rhino record
                could
                > be erased from the roots rock timeline. Interesting that Rhino
                is
                > the one putting this out. Heh.

                I agree, Sundown is their only consistent album, and that's the
                one I'm excited about having on CD. Maybe I'll find that it doesn't
                hold up for me, either, but I dunno--I remember those songs
                pretty clearly, and they still sound great in my memory.

                > There's also a Dils retrospective on Dionysus Records. Too
                > many badly recorded live tracks for me

                That's kind of what I figured, which is why I've avoided picking it
                up. I was a Dils fan, but I'm not sure how well their stuff will hold
                up 25 years later.

                > I got the same feeling from what I heard and those
                big-brimmed
                > Homer Simpson-ish cowboy hats didn't help. <g> But I keep on
                > hearing good things so I'd like to check out their new release. I
                > gotta say that Cowboy Nation is better than Blackbird.

                Their first record didn't do anything for me. But I heard a few clips
                from their most recent release and liked them well enough to
                order it (it was dirt cheap on Half.com), though I've learned that
                you really can't tell much about a record from those 30-second
                clips, no matter how many you listen to. I'll report back when I get
                the record.