Kent Kessler/Joseph Jarman (was new CDs this month)

  • Carl Abraham Zimring
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 1, 2003
      --On Wednesday, January 1, 2003 11:00 AM -0500 Steve Gardner
      <steve@...> wrote:

      >> Also in the pipeline, Kent Kessler's first solo CD "Bull Fiddle" on
      >> Okkadisc, and Tatsu Aoki/Robbie Hunsinger/Joseph Jarman's "Trio" on
      >> Melungeon. Both due out Jan. 28, both guaranteed to irritate Steve
      > Gardner.
      >
      > Why? Are you switching over to free jazz or atonal world music? Hold it,
      > lemme guess:
      >
      > alt.bullfartsfromtibet?

      You were closer with the first guess. Kent Kessler is a heavyweight jazz
      bassist; there are some worthwhile avant garde jazz records made in Chicago
      without him, but not many. Check out some of the albums he's been involved
      with at: <http://www.okkadisk.com/artists/kessler.html>. As for the second
      album, I'll leave Kelly to explain that summit but should mention that
      Joseph Jarman is perhaps most famous as an original member of the Art
      Ensemble of Chicago.

      I am looking forward to hearing both discs.

      Carl Z.
    • Carl Abraham Zimring
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 3 2:54 PM
        --On Monday, March 3, 2003 10:50 PM +0000 "Bill Silvers
        <wfsilvers@...>" <wfsilvers@...> wrote:

        > And thanks for doing that. I usedta do that on P2 back before Ice
        > started limiting theior listings to one month at a time (and leaving
        > country listings out entirely).

        What's weird about that is they continue to keep the country, jazz and
        blues in the reissues section but not (or at least not regularly) in the
        new-release section. I still like the listings for their diversity, though
        not their impact on my wallet.

        Carl Z.
        "bruddah can you hire a historian?"