Re: [fearnwhiskey] EC

  • Shayne Jordan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2002
      I've got a great bootleg called Aim to Please.
      It's the demo that hey made with Flip City. Does anyone know if they became
      clover which then became "the News"? I know when Huey Lewis hooked up with
      them it was still Clover, and I know EC used some of those guys as an early
      backing band, but...that's where I lost track.
      Anycrap

      It's got a great version of Third Rate Romance, and the original version
      of Radio Radio which was called Radio Soul, also a pretty sweet version of
      Knockin On Heaven's Door. As well as
      Pay It Back
      Imagination is a Powerful Deciever
      I'm Packing Up
      Please Mister Don't Stop the Band
      There are several different takes of each song, and I have to say it might
      be my favorite of the unofficial EC releases.
      Ooooh How I love him so
      shayne
      "the industry might be in crisis, but i don't think music is in
      crisis. in the middle ages, when the popes tried to ban
      harmony...that was a crisis in music. don't tell me that it's a
      crisis because some corporation paid its executives too much money or
      paid some singer that can't sing $20 million. that's a crisis in
      business, not a crisis in music. music is fine."

      - elvis costello, '02
    • czimring
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2002
        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Shayne Jordan" <asjordan@b...> wrote:
        > I've got a great bootleg called Aim to Please.
        > It's the demo that hey made with Flip City. Does anyone know if they
        became
        > clover which then became "the News"? I know when Huey Lewis hooked
        up with
        > them it was still Clover, and I know EC used some of those guys as
        an early
        > backing band, but...that's where I lost track.
        > Anycrap

        Flip City were Brits who Costello played with when he, jeez, about 18.
        At that time, Clover was a regular band on the Bay Area bar circuit
        and had been for a few years. I think Jake Rivera brought them over
        to England in '76, but am not sure exactly how they got across the
        ocean.

        Clover guitarist John McFee joined the Doobie Brothers upon returning
        to California. Coincidentally, Attractions drummer Pete Thomas worked
        in California in the early '70s.

        > It's got a great version of Third Rate Romance, and the original
        version
        > of Radio Radio which was called Radio Soul, also a pretty sweet
        version of
        > Knockin On Heaven's Door. As well as
        > Pay It Back
        > Imagination is a Powerful Deciever
        > I'm Packing Up
        > Please Mister Don't Stop the Band
        > There are several different takes of each song, and I have to say it
        might
        > be my favorite of the unofficial EC releases.

        This is not helping me save money.

        > "the industry might be in crisis, but i don't think music is in
        > crisis. in the middle ages, when the popes tried to ban
        > harmony...that was a crisis in music. don't tell me that it's a
        > crisis because some corporation paid its executives too much money or
        > paid some singer that can't sing $20 million. that's a crisis in
        > business, not a crisis in music. music is fine."
        >
        > - elvis costello, '02

        Radio, on the other hand, ain't no sound salvation.

        Carl Z.
      • Shayne Jordan
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2002
          Are you kidding me?! There's a little record store in town called low yo yo
          stuff. the guy who owns it is a EC whore. He's got an Oliver's Army promo
          military issue parka and a box of Cadbury's chocolate for Blood and
          Chocolate. He's got so many weird bootlegs and imports etc, They actually
          keep a box with my name on it under the counter, so I can't get out of there
          without dropping a huge load of cash. The worst part is I can go in and say
          "Gee thanks guys for holding onto these for me but I'd really just like to
          buy this *insert CD or artist*, I really don't need anymore Elvis stuff
          right now. Then I get an "ok ok, but just listen to this version of "tonight
          the Bottle Let Me Down" from Memphis in 92". And of course it's always the
          *BEST* version of whatever song he happens to play. And the bastard always
          can tell just what song will get me everytime I walk in there. I hate those
          guys. I really do.
          That demo CD was recorded in 1975. I'll make you a copy if you want it. It's
          not like he's getting any money for it...
          shayne
          professional music whore
          > > I've got a great bootleg called Aim to Please.
          > > It's the demo that hey made with Flip City. Does anyone know if they
          > became
          > > clover which then became "the News"? I know when Huey Lewis hooked
          > up with
          > > them it was still Clover, and I know EC used some of those guys as
          > an early
          > > backing band, but...that's where I lost track.
          > > Anycrap
          >
          > Flip City were Brits who Costello played with when he, jeez, about 18.
          > At that time, Clover was a regular band on the Bay Area bar circuit
          > and had been for a few years. I think Jake Rivera brought them over
          > to England in '76, but am not sure exactly how they got across the
          > ocean.
          >
          > Clover guitarist John McFee joined the Doobie Brothers upon returning
          > to California. Coincidentally, Attractions drummer Pete Thomas worked
          > in California in the early '70s.
          >
          > > It's got a great version of Third Rate Romance, and the original
          > version
          > > of Radio Radio which was called Radio Soul, also a pretty sweet
          > version of
          > > Knockin On Heaven's Door. As well as
          > > Pay It Back
          > > Imagination is a Powerful Deciever
          > > I'm Packing Up
          > > Please Mister Don't Stop the Band
          > > There are several different takes of each song, and I have to say it
          > might
          > > be my favorite of the unofficial EC releases.
          >
          > This is not helping me save money.
          >
          > > *****************************************************
          > > "the industry might be in crisis, but i don't think music is in
          > > crisis. in the middle ages, when the popes tried to ban
          > > harmony...that was a crisis in music. don't tell me that it's a
          > > crisis because some corporation paid its executives too much money or
          > > paid some singer that can't sing $20 million. that's a crisis in
          > > business, not a crisis in music. music is fine."
          > >
          > > - elvis costello, '02
          >
          > Radio, on the other hand, ain't no sound salvation.
          >
          > Carl Z.

        • czimring
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2002
            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Shayne Jordan" <asjordan@b...> wrote:
            > Are you kidding me?! There's a little record store in town called
            low yo yo
            > stuff. the guy who owns it is a EC whore. He's got an Oliver's Army
            promo
            > military issue parka and a box of Cadbury's chocolate for Blood and
            > Chocolate.

            The last time I saw one of those, Reagan was president. I hesitate to
            ask how much he's asking for it.

            > He's got so many weird bootlegs and imports etc, They actually
            > keep a box with my name on it under the counter, so I can't get out
            of there
            > without dropping a huge load of cash. The worst part is I can go in
            and say
            > "Gee thanks guys for holding onto these for me but I'd really just
            like to
            > buy this *insert CD or artist*, I really don't need anymore Elvis stuff
            > right now. Then I get an "ok ok, but just listen to this version of
            "tonight
            > the Bottle Let Me Down" from Memphis in 92". And of course it's
            always the
            > *BEST* version of whatever song he happens to play. And the bastard
            always
            > can tell just what song will get me everytime I walk in there. I
            hate those
            > guys. I really do.

            Dangerous. The kind of place I cannot afford to go into right now,
            for money and space reasons.

            > That demo CD was recorded in 1975. I'll make you a copy if you want
            it. It's
            > not like he's getting any money for it...

            You got yerself a deal, ma'am. I'm at 6805 Penn Ave. #4, Pittsburgh,
            PA 15208. It's the building with the anticipatory drool around the
            mailbox.

            > shayne
            > professional music whore

            It's good to get paid for it...

            Carl
            still waiting for the Possibilities disc to show up in Pittsburgh
            stores and/or the station

            Carl