Topsoil/Haywire Playlist for 12/28/02 on WXDU Durham NC

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2002
      Hi,

      This was the last show of the year so I did a retrospective thing. The show
      counts down my favorite releasese for both Topsoil (twangy) and Haywire
      (non-twangy.) In the extra time for each show I threw in a few special songs
      (reissues, etc.)

      See ya.
      Steve Gardner
      steve@...
      www.topsoil.net
      www.wxdu.org

      *Artist/Song/Album/Label
      [Comments]

      TOPSOIL
      ========
      *Bottle Rockets/Bud Nanney Theme/Bottle Rockets/ESD
      [Topsoil theme song.]

      *Kasey Chambers/A Little Bit Lonesome/Barricades & Brickwalls/Warner Bros
      [#20]
      *Chuck Prophet/Summertime Thing/No Other Love/New West
      [#19]
      *Damnations/Corona/Where It Lands/Joy-Ride
      [#18]
      *Porter Hall, TN/Drunkard and the Angel/Welcome To/Slewfoot
      [#17]
      *Patty Griffin/Making Pies/1000 Kisses/ATO
      [#16]

      *Jesse Dayton/Don't Take Yesterday/Hey Nashvegas!/Stag
      [#15]
      *Sadies/Within A Stone/Stories Often Told/Yep Roc
      [#14]
      *Neil Halsted/Hi-Lo and Inbetween/Sleeping on Roads/4AD
      [#13]
      *Will Rigby/Got You Up My Sleeve/Paradoxaholic/Diesel Only
      [#12]
      *Greg Trooper/Carmelita/Between a House and a Hard Place: Live at Pine Hill
      Farm/McGonigel's Mucky Duck
      [#11]
      *Kelly Willis/Find Another Fool/Easy/Rykodisc
      [#10]
      *Star Room Boys/Cocaine Parties/This World Just Won't Leave You
      Alone/Slewfoot
      [#9]

      Album Feature
      KENNY ROBY
      Rather Not Know
      (Morebarn Records)
      *Not Gonna Give Up
      *Highway Cross
      [#8]

      *Guy Clark/Magnolia Wind/The Dark/Sugar Hill
      [#7]
      *Jesse Sykes and the Sweet Hereafter/Reckless Burning/Reckless Burning/Burn
      Burn Burn
      [#6]
      *Hank Williams III/Whiskey, Weed and Women/Lovesick, Broke and Drifin'/Curb
      [#5]

      *Supersuckers/Alabama, Louisiana or Maybe Tennessee/Must've Been Live/Mid-Fi
      [#4]
      *Mark Erelli/Every Goodbye/The Memorial Hall Recordings/Signature Sounds
      [#3]
      *Gourds/The Bridge/Cow Fish Fowl or Pig/Sugar Hill
      [#2]

      *Bobby Bare Jr/Flat Chested Girl From Maynardville/Young Criminals
      Starvation League/Bloodshot
      [#1]
      *Bob Dylan/A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall/Live 1975: The Bootleg Series, Vol
      5/Columbia Legacy
      [#1 Twangy reissue/compilation of the year.]
      *John Hartford/Blame it on Joann/Steam Powered Aereo-Takes/Rounder
      [#2 Twangy reissue/compilation of the year.]
      *Tolan McNeil/I'm Easy/A Tribute to Nashville/Mint
      [A song that I couldn't stop playing this year, though the album as a
      whole
      was a mixed bag.]
      *Beaver Nelson/Clean It Up/Legends of the Super Heroes/Freedom
      [I got this after Christmas, so it came in too late to even be
      considered...but I really love it on first listen.]

      HAYWIRE
      =======

      *Mountain Goats/Game Shows Touch Our Lives/Tallahassee/4AD
      [#10]
      *Silkworm/(I Hope U) Don't Survive/Italian Platinum/Touch and Go
      [#9]
      *Interpol/Obstacle 1/Turn on the Bright Lights/Matador
      [#8]
      *Desaparecidos/Greater Omaha/Read Music-Speak Spanish/Saddle Creek
      [#7]
      *Yeah Yeah Yeahs/Our Time/Yeah Yeah Yeahs/Touch and Go
      [#6]

      *Josh Rouse/Under Cold Blue Stars/Under Cold Blue Stars/Rykodisc
      [#5]
      *Radio 4/Struggle/Gotham!/Gern Blandsten
      [#4]
      *Pedal Steel Transmission/I Only Got 1 Hour of Sleep Last Night/In the
      Winter, It Makes the Dead Grass Look Green/2
      [#3]
      *Spoon/Paper Tiger/Kill the Moonlight/Merge
      [#2]

      *Bright Eyes/Don't Know When But A Day Is Gonna Come/LIFTED or The Story Is
      In The Soil, Keep Your Ear To The Ground/Saddle Creek
      [#1]
      *Rocket From the Tombs/Final Solution/The Day The Earth Met The RFTT/Smog
      Veil
      [#1 Reissue of the year.]
      *Radio Birdman/Aloha Steve and Dano/Do the Pop! The Australian Garage-Rock
      Sound 1978-87/Shock
      [#2 Reissue of the year.]
      --
      Steve Gardner - Topsoil/Haywire - Sun. 12-3pm
      WXDU 88.7FM Durham NC and on the Net at www.wxdu.org
      Fresh Dirt Webzine: www.topsoil.net/freshdirt
      * steve@... **** www.topsoil.net *