Topsoil/Haywire Playlist for 6/30/2 on WXDU Durham NC

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2002
      Today's show followed up the big Drive By Truckers house concert last night
      at Pine Hill Farm. For the first time ever at Pine Hill Farm, we held the
      show outside. I think everyone considered it a great success. It was a
      beautiful night and after the show we even had some people camp in the
      backyard. We'll certainly be doing that again.

      Today on Haywire I focused on the music of The Who, due to the death of John
      Entwhistle. I either played recordings by the band, or covers of their
      songs by other bands. It was a nice hour of music, but that hour went by
      much too fast.

      I won't be doing my show for the next two weeks because I'll be in CA. I'll
      return to the airwaves on July 21. Wow, I can't remember missing two weeks
      in a row on the radio. I hope I don't go through withdrawals too bad.

      Cheers.
      Steve Gardner
      Topsoil/Haywire
      steve@...
      www.topsoil.net
      www.wxdu.org

      *Bottle Rockets/Bud Nanney Theme/Bottle Rockets/ESD
      [Theme song]

      *Heather Myles/Sweet Talk & Good Lies/Sweet Talk & Good Lies/Rounder
      [This new album has quite a few country songs that would rate in the
      "stellar" category. This is one of them.]
      *Roger Wallace/I'll Catch You When You Fall/The Lowdown/Lone Star
      [A Harlan Howard song, from Roger's new CD.]
      *Mary Gauthier/Walk Through The Fire/Filth and Fire/Signature Sounds
      *Backsliders/Lexington Ave/From Raleigh, NC/Mammoth
      *The Lucky Stars/Chisel To My Heart/Hollywood and Western/Ipecac
      [Ipecac is the Melvins label, but The Lucky Stars sound nothing
      like the Melvins. They are straight up country and swing. I'm
      suprised I had never heard them before until I ran across this CD.]
      *Big Sandy and the Fly Rite Trio/Pinin'/On The Go/Jeems
      [Reissued with the Jake's Barbershop EP.]

      *Drive By Truckers/Why Henry Drinks/Gangstabilly/Soul Dump
      [Terrific house concert last night.]
      *Rex Hobart and the Misery Boys/It's Not Easy Being Green/The Bottle Let
      Me Down/Bloodshot
      *Willie Nelson/The Shelter Of Your Arms/A Classic and Unreleased
      Collection/Rhino
      [An old country demo.]
      *Merle Haggard/Peach Pickin' Time In Georgia/The Peer Sessions/Audium
      *Ralph Stanley/Lift Him Up, That's All/Ralph Stanley/DMZ

      *Bobby Bare, Jr/Dig Down/Young Criminals Starvation League/Bloodshot
      [I LOVE this new album. This song in particular is terrific.]
      *Loudon Wainwright III/Motel Blues/A Live One/Rounder
      *Jody Stecher/Hills of Isle Haut/Going Up The Mountain/Acoustic Disc

      TOPSOIL ALBUM FEATURE OF THE MONTH
      Mike Ireland & Holler
      "Try Again"
      (Ashmont)
      *Try Again
      *Life Has Its Little Ups and Downs
      *Let Me Hold You

      *Townes Van Zandt/Waitin' Round To Die/Live at the Old Quarter, Houston
      TX/Tomato
      [Reissued and expanded onto two CDs. One of the greatest albums ever
      made.]
      *Steve Earle/Ellis Unit One/Sidetracks/Artemis
      *Tift Merritt/Trouble Over Me/Bramble Rose/Lost Highway
      *Kev Russell's Junker/(Somebody Bring Me A Flower) I'm A Robot/Buttermilk
      and
      Rifles/Sugar Hill
      [Kevin Russell, from the Gourds, will release his first solo CD in about
      a week.
      This track was co-written with his 3-year old son. It also features
      Mark
      Rubin on tuba.]
      *Rick Shea and Brantley Kearns/Loafer's Glory/Trouble and Me/Tres
      Pescadores

      *Mark Olson and the Creekdippers/Still We Have A Friend In
      You/December's Child/Dualtone
      [This new album his my favorite post-Jayhawk release
      from Mark Olson.]
      *Chuck Prophet/After the Rain/No Other Love/New West
      *Lauryn Hill/Selah/Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood/DMZ
      [I must say that playing Lauryn Hill on my show today was a
      Topsoil first. This song is just her and a guitar. It is one of the
      best songs on this incredibly good soundtrack put together
      by T-Bone Burnett.]
      *Reeltime Travelers/Halleluiah/Livin' Reeltime, Thinkin'
      Oldtime/Yodel-Ay-Hee
      *Butch Hancock/West Texas Waltz/Own and Own/Sugar Hill
      [By request]

      HAYWIRE
      ========
      *The Who/Boris the Spider/BBC Sessions/MCA
      [John Entwhistle wrote and sang this song.]
      *The Who/Magic Bus/Live at The Isle of Wight Festival 1970/MCA
      *The Flamin' Groovies/I Can't Explain/Teenage Head Outtake/Unknown
      *Eddie and the Hot Rods/The Kids Are Alright/Teenage Depression/Captain
      Oi

      *The Who/I Am The Sea-The Real Me/Quadrophenia/Polygram
      [By request.]
      *Pete Townshend/Drowned/The Secret Policeman's Ball/Island
      [Solo acoustic. By request.]
      *Breeders/So Sad About Us/Safari EP/4AD
      *The Jam/Disguises/Jam Covers/Polydor

      *The Who/The Seeker/Who's Greatest Hits/MCA
      *The Ramones/Substitute/Acid Eaters/Radioactive
      *David Bowie/Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere/Pin Ups/Rykodisc
      *Junk Monkeys/A Quick One/5 Star Fling/Fun After All
      *The Who/Pictures of Lily/BBC Sessions/MCA
      *Waco Brothers/Baba O'Riley/Down To The Promised Land/Bloodshot
      [A country version of this hit, courtesy of the Waco Bros.]

      *Pete Townshend/Behind Blue Eyes/Scoop/Atco
      --
      Steve Gardner - Topsoil/Haywire - Sun. 12-3pm
      WXDU 88.7FM Durham NC and on the Net at www.wxdu.org
      Fresh Dirt Webzine: www.topsoil.net/freshdirt
      * steve@... **** www.topsoil.net *