RE: [fearnwhiskey] Covering The Who, Pt. 2

  • Jason E Baldwin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 2002
      Lance wrote:
      < Also, there's a Guided by Voices bootleg floating around called
      < King's Ransom: Happy Motherfuckers and Sad Clowns. It's got
      < covers of both Baba and Happy Jack, retitled Jimmy Mac in honor
      < of drummer Jim MacPherson. Hey ... he used to be in the Breeders
      < didn't he? That's just weird.

      Yes, he did, and it's not really that weird. Another GBV/Breeders link: Bob
      Pollard & Kim Deal recorded a version of "Love Hurts" which appears on the
      soundtrack to the film "Love & A .45". It's not good.

      Witnessing GBV doing Baba is about as close to rawk nirvana I think I'll be able
      to achieve. I've been lucky enough to see them do it a dozen or so times, and it
      just gets better each time. Doug Gillard does the synth part on guitar. The
      King's Ransom boot (2LP, limited edition of 500 copies, recorded live Friday,
      April 28, 2000 at Be Here Now Club, Asheville, North Carolina) is fantastic,
      both in quality and fun-factor. Also great is the single LP "The Cum Engines:
      Live At The Athens Time Change Riots", recorded in April 1999 at the 40 Watt. My
      favorite version of "Liar's Tale" ever.

      -Jason, GBV dork