Re: Sunny Border Blue/Jesse Sykes

  • lmerlin01
    Message 1 of 26 , May 20, 2002
      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> wrote:

      > Almost complete information -- clicking around the site brings news
      > that it is the same band, the record should be out in January and
      they
      > aren't doing much touring behind it. And Lisa, she'll do a solo
      set
      > at Bumbershoot, so there's your Seattle date!

      Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
      Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
      about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
      one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
      so I can play it now?

      Carl asked about Jesse Sykes. Yes, she's from Seattle and plays with
      a band called the Sweet Hereafter with her boyfriend Phil, the
      grumpy one who played with Whiskeytown <g>. I really like most of
      the record, very melodic, sad, although her voice won't be for
      everyone. Check, check , check it out!

      Lisa
    • Laura A Watt
      Message 2 of 26 , May 21, 2002
        Lisa wrote:

        >Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
        >Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
        >about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
        >one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
        >so I can play it now?

        It's called, aptly, "green eyes" and it's on their debut album
        called, aptly, "Throwing Muses." 1987. Which is when i first heard
        it, couldn't stop playing it, and have been the Muses'/KH's biggest
        fan ever since.

        A massive poll was recently done via the TM website to determine
        folks' favorite songs, which I believe Billy is going to use in part
        to great a "greatest hits" sort of thing at some point -- to see the
        poll results, go to

        http://www.solace.net/musings/BestMusesSongs.htm

        I was somewhat mystified by some of the results -- agreed with three
        in the top five (pearl, shimmer and bea), but then I fell off
        completely -- only one more (delicate cutters) in the top ten, and no
        others in the next ten.

        waking up to hooks in my head,
        laura
      • czimring
        Message 3 of 26 , May 21, 2002
          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Laura A Watt <lawatt@n...> wrote:
          > Lisa wrote:
          >
          > >Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
          > >Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
          > >about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
          > >one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
          > >so I can play it now?
          >
          > It's called, aptly, "green eyes" and it's on their debut album
          > called, aptly, "Throwing Muses." 1987. Which is when i first heard
          > it, couldn't stop playing it, and have been the Muses'/KH's biggest
          > fan ever since.

          And if you can't track down that album, it was reissued with a bunch
          of early material on _In a Doghouse_ a few years ago.

          [poll]
          > I was somewhat mystified by some of the results -- agreed with three
          > in the top five (pearl, shimmer and bea), but then I fell off
          > completely -- only one more (delicate cutters) in the top ten, and no
          > others in the next ten.

          I dig "Hate My Way", but am *shocked* that "Call Me" didn't even make
          the cut! (Both of those songs are on _Throwing Muses_ and are among
          my favorite songs of the 1980s.)

          Carl Z.*

          *By way of a welcome to Carl Wilson on this list (our first
          Canadian!), I shall now add an initial to differentiate our posts.