Clip: Chuck Prophet

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27 11:28 AM
      http://www.pghcitypaper.com/music3.html
      Chuck Prophet
      Prophet Margin

      writer: JUSTIN HOPPER

      There's a lot of call for a songwriter like Chuck Prophet these days.
      Thoroughly modern, Prophet is rooted in American music -- after all, his
      80s band, Green On Red, did practically invent alt-country. But on No Other
      Love, Prophet's latest New West Records album, he's also a little bit above
      all that posturing. Sure, "Run Primo Run" invokes Blonde on Blonde-era
      Dylan, and there are some definite Tom Waits inflections ("She threw our
      future away / the night he jumped out of that cake"), but it's more
      important that Prophet's songs generally tell us something about our
      country.

      Like good little Californians, Prophet's characters are never quite what
      they want to be: They're constantly trying to be more "like Sissy Spacek,"
      or to do something that "makes him feel like Richard Gere." They want to
      "talk about old friends ... [or] anything but what?s really going on."
      They're insistent self-helpers, and self-haters, and while most of
      Prophet's topics are old hat (criticizing condo-dwellers is a bit
      fish-in-barrel-ish, isn't it?), they?re rarely handled with such a light
      stylistic touch: somewhere between Down By Law and New West label mates the
      Flatlanders. Prophet may not be the godsend his name implies, but in an era
      in which even singer-songwriters are increasingly dominated by their own
      petty musical reference points, we'll take all the good ones we can get.

      Chuck Prophet, Maia Sharp, Corey Harris, Patty Griffin, Raul Malo and more
      appear at the WYEP Summer Music Festival beginning at 2:30 p.m. Sat., June
      29, at the Allegheny Landing Park, North Shore. 412-381-9131.