Re: fave new discoveries of old music?

  • Chad Williams
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 4, 2002
      lisa:

      > Ah shucks! Thanks, Matt! I can't get a date to save my life but
      > that's for another listserv <g>

      there's a listserv for that? wow. who'da thunk? <g>
    • Chad Williams
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 4, 2002
        i guess to tie in 2 threads together, i've been on t.rex kick of late.
        picked up electric warrior not too long ago.

        and speaking of dylan, i just recently got the live 1975 cd set, vol. 5 of
        the bootlegs. that's some dandy dandy stuff. being on the
        columbia/mailing list now (thanks to the release of the ut comp i guess),
        that has also brought me some of their recent "essential" series: heart,
        kenny loggins, leonard cohen, santana and today, barbara streisand.
        lovely, just lovely.

        one record that grabbed me recently that i haven't checked for awhile is
        "Debt & Departure" by Those Bastard Souls. That's good stuff.

        last night i did a gig and covered "She's Like Heroin to Me" by the Gun
        Club. i'm not sure i need to be doing that, but it was fun. imagine lou
        reed singing it with duane allman playing lead slide, because that's what
        it felt like. And there's always Cheap Trick, The Faces, etc. for me.
        Plus I've been listening to more Mission of Burma lately.

        i'm just now getting ready to check out "Blue Lines" by Massive Attack for
        the first time in a long time. And over the last few months Kelly Hogan's
        "Because It Feel Good" has really home for me. On that note, I think my
        next assignment should be to go and seek out some (smog). "dongs of
        sevotion" is nice, and i like the new b-side thing ("a hit" is quite a fun
        tune).

        night
      • Christopher Knaus
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 4, 2002
          Hey there,

          At 20:39 12/04/2002 +0000, you wrote:
          >Speaking of which, I found myself listening to some Pinetop
          >Seven MP3s on Epitonic today (I was looking for Iron and Wine,
          >who aren't represented on Epitonic for some reason). I liked
          >them a lot too, and I've always avoided them in the past because
          >I didn't think they'd be my kind of thing. Anyone here a fan?
          >Recommendations for a CD to start with?

          Erm, all of them. But if I'd have to choose Rigging the Toplights followed
          by their first, self named CD. Also, if you get to see them live (which
          you wont, since I dont think they tour much these days) do.

          Later...
          CK

          Last call for big candy on a pole-stick.
        • Dave Purcell
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 5, 2002
            I'm catching up on email and it's funny to see this pop up here. Last
            week, I came across a box of previously-unpacked cassettes and
            grabbed my No Depression/Still Feel Gone for a road trip. Lots of it
            sounded *really* dated to me. I didn't dislike any of it, and some of
            the gems still shine (Still Be Around, in particular), but overall I
            was kinda ho-hum about it. And a few of the songs -- Screen Door
            (This Green Door), in particular -- made me cringe. Kind of weird to
            feel that way about something I dug so much.

            As for rediscovering old music, I go thru a revival of some sort
            about once a month. Last month was a deep Springsteen jag, this
            week's special so far is Television (inspired by covering See No Evil)
            and Matthew Sweet (go go Robert Quine!).

            dp

            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "tele66_2000" <mbenz@o...> wrote:
            > --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Lisa" <lmerlin01@y...> wrote:
            > >> How did No Depression hold up? I just listened to Still Feel
            Gone
            > > recently and liked hearing it again too. Still Be Around still
            > gives
            > > me a nice warm fuzzy feeling
            > >
            > OK, I guess. I have a hard time totally turning my back on
            something
            > that rocked my world back whenever, but I can set it aside for a
            > long time. Going back and hearing UT again after "setting them
            > aside," I think I can go against the current critical grain and
            say
            > that No Depression rocked then and rocks now.
          • Carl Abraham Zimring
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 5, 2002
              --On Thursday, December 5, 2002 2:27 PM +0000 Dave Purcell
              <dave@...> wrote:

              > As for rediscovering old music, I go thru a revival of some sort
              > about once a month. Last month was a deep Springsteen jag, this
              > week's special so far is Television (inspired by covering See No Evil)
              > and Matthew Sweet (go go Robert Quine!).

              I played "Call Mr. Lee" off of Television's 1992 reunion disc on last
              week's show and have had its guitar riff embedded in my brain ever since.
              Does anyone else enjoy that album? I like it better than _Adventure_.

              Carl Z.
            • Jim Caligiuri
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 5, 2002
                >>Does anyone else enjoy that album?

                Me! Me!
                I saw them on tour around that the time that was released and thought
                the "new" stuff sounded better than the older stuff. Still loud as hell
                though.
                Jim, and I wonder why my head has this constant buzzing in it

                --

                Re-elect Gore in 2004!!
              • tele66_2000
                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 5, 2002
                  --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Abraham Zimring <cz28@a...> wrote:

                  > I played "Call Mr. Lee" off of Television's 1992 reunion disc on
                  last
                  > week's show and have had its guitar riff embedded in my brain ever
                  since.
                  > Does anyone else enjoy that album? I like it better than
                  _Adventure_.

                  Yes, that is a great record. Call Mr. Lee is a favorite, as is
                  Beauty Trip...

                  "No, no applause,
                  Four enchiladas, Senor,
                  Extra sauce..."
                • Chris Hill
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 5, 2002
                    >I played "Call Mr. Lee" off of Television's 1992 reunion
                    >disc on last week's show and have had its guitar riff >embedded in my brain ever since.
                    >Does anyone else enjoy that album?

                    >Carl Z.

                    Me three. "1880 or so" is my favorite off that, and just
                    as memorable. That album reminds me of Lloyd Cole's first
                    solo album, since Quine played guitar on that, too - along
                    with Matthew Sweet on bass.

                    Cole using Quine delayed that Television album, iirc.

                    Chris
                    np: Josh Joplin Group, "Camera One" single - not much on
                    the other two tracks, but love the vocals on the title cut's
                    chorus, with its bit of Richard Butler rasp.
                  • Carl Abraham Zimring
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 5, 2002
                      --On Thursday, December 5, 2002 4:05 AM -1100 Chris Hill <chillout@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Cole using Quine delayed that Television album, iirc.

                      Quine? Do you mean Richard Lloyd? Quine & Verlaine would be a knotty
                      combination, but I don't know if they've ever recorded together.

                      One of the pleasures of being a Richard Hell fan is hearing Quine's guitar
                      work on the Voidoid discs and Lloyd and Verlaine going to town on the old
                      Neon Boys tracks.

                      Carl Z.
                    • Chris Hill
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 5, 2002
                        > Cole using Quine delayed that Television album, iirc.

                        >Quine? Do you mean Richard Lloyd? Quine & Verlaine would
                        >be a knotty combination, but I don't know if they've ever
                        >recorded together.

                        Whoops, never mind - I meant Quine with Cole, but there's
                        no player connection between Quine and Television. I swear
                        there was some reason why Television's record was delayed,
                        and that Cole had something to do with it - it and Cole's s/t solo were on Capitol, but I don't see any other
                        connection in the AllMusic data on those records. I made a
                        wrong connection.

                      • Carl Abraham Zimring
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 5, 2002
                          --On Thursday, December 5, 2002 7:01 AM -1100 Chris Hill <chillout@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Whoops, never mind - I meant Quine with Cole, but there's
                          > no player connection between Quine and Television. I swear
                          > there was some reason why Television's record was delayed,
                          > and that Cole had something to do with it - it and Cole's s/t solo were
                          > on Capitol, but I don't see any other connection in the AllMusic data on
                          > those records. I made a
                          > wrong connection.

                          It's possible that Richard Lloyd's work on Matthew Sweet's _Girlfriend_ (an
                          album on which Quine also played -- I don't like Sweet's voice but there is
                          some fabulous guitar on that disc) delayed the _Television_ album. I know
                          it doesn't exist, but it'd be fun to hear a record with Verlaine, Quine and
                          Lloyd trading knotted lead lines...

                          Carl Z.
                        • ahacksaw1
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 6, 2002
                            wrote:
                            > It's possible that Richard Lloyd's work on Matthew Sweet's
                            _Girlfriend_ (an
                            > album on which Quine also played -- I don't like Sweet's voice
                            but there is
                            > some fabulous guitar on that disc)

                            Oh dear. Bill's head appeared to be entirely intact when I got
                            home last night, but I guess that just means he had time to
                            recover after the above sentence made his head explode. <g>
                            He counts _Girlfriend_ among the very best releases of the '90s,
                            and I absolutely concur. The guitar is a big part of it, no question,
                            but how can you not like Matthew Sweet's voice? And even if you
                            don't like his voice, you have to like his songwriting. You just
                            have to.
                          • czimring
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 6, 2002
                              --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "ahacksaw1" <ahacksaw@e...> wrote:
                              > --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Carl Abraham Zimring <cz28@a...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > It's possible that Richard Lloyd's work on Matthew Sweet's
                              > _Girlfriend_ (an
                              > > album on which Quine also played -- I don't like Sweet's
                              voice
                              > but there is
                              > > some fabulous guitar on that disc)
                              >
                              > Oh dear. Bill's head appeared to be entirely intact when I got
                              > home last night, but I guess that just means he had time to
                              > recover after the above sentence made his head explode. <g>
                              > He counts _Girlfriend_ among the very best releases of the
                              '90s,
                              > and I absolutely concur. The guitar is a big part of it, no
                              question,
                              > but how can you not like Matthew Sweet's voice? And even if
                              you
                              > don't like his voice, you have to like his songwriting. You just
                              > have to.

                              My original post had the most diplomatic assessment I can give
                              of Sweet's music. I find his songwriting cloying and his voice is
                              exhibit A for the (often unfounded) prosecution of power pop as
                              insufferably wimpy. I lived in a house where _Girlfriend_ was in
                              constant rotation and my initial annoyance turned into outright
                              revulsion very quickly. Having said that, he does have excellent
                              taste in guitarists and gives them space to do good things on
                              his records. (Live is another matter, at least for the two times I've
                              seen him open for other acts where he was almost as boring as
                              Damon Che.)

                              Carl Z.
                            • Bill Silvers
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 6, 2002
                                Amy:
                                > > Oh dear. Bill's head appeared to be entirely intact when I got
                                > > home last night, but I guess that just means he had time to
                                > > recover after the above sentence made his head explode. <g>

                                > My original post had the most diplomatic assessment I can give
                                > of Sweet's music. I find his songwriting cloying and his voice is
                                > exhibit A for the (often unfounded) prosecution of power pop as
                                > insufferably wimpy. I lived in a house where _Girlfriend_ was in
                                > constant rotation and my initial annoyance turned into outright
                                > revulsion very quickly. Having said that, he does have excellent
                                > taste in guitarists and gives them space to do good things on
                                > his records. (Live is another matter, at least for the two times I've
                                > seen him open for other acts where he was almost as boring as
                                > Damon Che.)
                                >
                                > Carl Z.

                                Carl and I have different definitions of boring. <g>

                                b.s.
                              • Perfect Sound Forever
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 6, 2002
                                  Thanks to Tower Records desperately discounting oldies, I've been able to
                                  replace a number of vinyl things that were unfairly gathering dust and I
                                  hadn't listened to in a while. This includes Stevie Wonder's Talking
                                  Book, both New York Dolls albums, Fleetwood Mac's self-titled album, John
                                  McLaughlin's Devotion, Steely Dan's Countdown to Ecstasy, Byrds' Sweetheart
                                  of the Rodeo, Kraftwerk's Trans Europe Express and Van Morrison's
                                  Moondance. It's a shame because IMHO, these records have lost nothing over
                                  time. The problem is that I get inundated by so many new releases that
                                  it's easy to forget about oldies/goodies.

                                  Best,
                                  Jason

                                  Perfect Sound Forever
                                  online music magazine with warped perspectives
                                  perfect-sound@...
                                  http://www.perfectsoundforever.com