Topsoil/Haywire Playlist for 12/1/2 on WXDU Durham NC

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2002
      Hi,

      With the new month I've chosen the next album of the month feature. For
      December I'm playing the new solo album from Kenny Roby, previously of Six
      String Drag. It's really terrific and you can hear it by tuning in to
      Topsoil each Sunday at 1pm. Each week I'll play a few songs from it...except
      for next week, because I'll be out of town. See you in two.

      See ya.
      Steve Gardner
      steve@...
      www.topsoil.net
      www.wxdu.org

      *Artist/Song/Album/Label
      [Comments]

      TOPSOIL
      ========
      *Bottle Rockets/Bud Nanney Theme/Bottle Rockets/ESD
      [Topsoil theme song.]

      *Max Stalling/The Pila Song/One of the Ways/Blind Nello
      [I really like this song and this new record. I remember
      not being especially taken with his last album, but this
      one is more of a songwriter record and I like it a lot. Guy
      Clark fans should check it out.]
      *Joe Ely/She Never Spoke Spanish To Me/Live Shots/South
      Coast
      *Mark Erelli/Goodbye/The Memorial Hall Recordings/Signature
      Sounds
      *Guy Clark/Rex's Blues/The Dark/Sugar Hill

      *Lucky Pierres/Dying On The Vine/Cloverleaf/Self
      *Blasters/Dark Night/Trouble Bound/Hightone
      [This live version rocks.]
      *Beat Farmers/Gun Sale at the Church/Van Go/Curb
      *Ninety Nine Tales/Promise Me/Ninety Nine Tales/Clementine
      [I'd never heard of this band until I was going through
      some records yesterday. I like them quite a bit. They
      are alt.country with a slightly dark spot to them. If
      you like groups like the Blacks or the Flatirons you
      should check them out.]
      *Sadies/Tiger, Tiger/Stories Often Told/Yep Roc
      [A rocker from these musical chameleons.]

      *Warner Mack/I've Found Love/The Early Years: The Southern
      Rockabilly 1957-1962/Lost Gold
      [This kicked off a set that started in the area of rockabilly
      and went off from there.]
      *Charlie Feathers/I Can't Hardly Stand It/Get With It/Revenant
      *Cramps/Chicken/A Date With Elvis/New Rose
      *Southern Culture on the Skids/8 Piece Box/Peckin' Party/Feed
      Bag
      *Dr John/Feedbag/Medical School: The Early Sessions of Mac
      "Dr John" Rebennack/Music Club
      [Early recordings from him, mostly R&B sounding. Good
      stuff.]
      *John Bunzow/Muddy Water Under The Bridge/Darkness and
      Light/Sideburn

      Album Feature
      KENNY ROBY
      Rather Not Know
      (Morebarn Records)
      *Rather Not Know
      *Wilderness
      *Bobby Rodan

      *Six String Drag/South of Meridian/Six String Drag/Fundamental
      *Whiskeytown/Faithless Street/Faithless Street/Mood Food
      *Waco Brothers/Johnson to Jones/New Deal/Bloodshot
      *Elvis Costello/Brown to Blue/Almost Blue/Rykodisc
      *Rich Krueger/The One You Love/Troth demos/None

      *Dallas Wayne/Old 45s/Big Thinkin'/Hightone
      *High Sheriff Ricky Barnes and the Hootowls/In My Dreams/
      Lost Track of Time/Okra
      *Jason Ringenberg/Too High To See/All Over Creation/Yep Roc
      [Featuring Tommy Womack]
      *Open Road/Sally-Jo/Cold Wind/Rounder
      *Billy Joe Shaver/Wild Cow Gravy/Freedom's Child/Compadre
      [Playing tonight at the Local 506!]

      *Doug Wallin/Omie Wise/Classic Mountain Songs/
      Smithsonian Folkways
      *Hazel Dickens and Alice Gerrard/Walkin' In My Sleep/
      Pioneering Women of Bluegrass/Smithsonian Folkways
      *Lilly Brothers & Don Stover/The Old Man's Story/On The
      Radio 1952-1953/Rounder
      *Uncle Dave Macon/The Wreck of the Tennessee Gravy
      Train/Hard Times In The Country/County
      *Del McCoury and the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band/Take Me In
      Your Lifeboat/Will the Circle Be Unbroken, Vol 3/Capitol

      HAYWIRE
      =======
      *Peisachke Burstein/Yes Sir, Zi Iz May Kale/From Avenue
      A To the Great White Way/Columbia
      *New Dada/La Quindicesima Frustrata/60s Beat Italiano/
      Get Hip
      [A compilation of Italian psychedelic bands from the 60s.]
      *Radio Zumbido/La Rueda/Los Ultimos Dias Del AM/Palm
      *Cabaret Voltaire/Landslide/Red Mecca/Mute
      *Nick Cave/From Her To Eternity/From Her To Eternity/Mute

      *Death Cab for Cutie/Army Corps of Architects/You Can
      Play These Songs With Chords/Barsuk
      *Miracle Legion/The Ladies From Town/Me and Mr Ray/
      Rough Trade
      *Young Fresh Fellow/I Don't Let The Little Things Get Me
      Down/The Men Who Loved Music/Frontier

      *Warlocks/Baby Blue/Phoenix EP/Birdman
      *Ride/Vapour Trail/Nowhere/Sire
      *Marianne Faithful/Sister Morphine/Blazing Away/Island
      [Live]

      *Micahel J Sheehy/Ballad of the Pissed Apostle/No
      Longer My Concern/Beggars Banquet
      [ This was the first I've heard this CD. It sounded really
      good. Dark stuff.]
      --
      Steve Gardner - Topsoil/Haywire - Sun. 12-3pm
      WXDU 88.7FM Durham NC and on the Net at www.wxdu.org
      Fresh Dirt Webzine: www.topsoil.net/freshdirt
      * steve@... **** www.topsoil.net *