Re: the 100 greatest drug songs ever!

  • cz28
    Message 1 of 43 , Dec 1, 2002
      --On Saturday, November 30, 2002 11:34 PM -0500 Steve Gardner
      <steve@...> wrote:

      > Some guy was talking about this the other night
      >> and he made an excellent point: "Jesus was in his early 30s, single, a
      >> carpenter, he lived out in the sticks. He'd probably drive a pickup."
      >
      > And ya know, Jesus rode a donkey in the day of more respectable beasts. So
      > I'm thinking he'd probably drive a Pinto, or maybe a Gremlin.

      According to the Screaming Blue Messiahs, Jesus Chrysler drives a Dodge.

      > Ok, so this doesn't start sounding like the flufflist I'm going to get
      > back to the topic at hand. Did anyone suggest "Sister Morphine" by the
      > Stones? Also Marianne Faithful does an even better version of it.

      Both of her versions that I've heard are gripping, and better anti-drug ads
      than anything the federal government's put out. Speaking of MF and drugs,
      has anyone seen the version she did of "Broken English" she did on Saturday
      Night Live when she was coked out of her mind and her voice was utterly
      (yes, even for her) shot?

      Carl Z.
    • Steve Gardner
      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 1, 2002
        > Both of her versions that I've heard are gripping, and better
        anti-drug ads
        > than anything the federal government's put out. Speaking of MF and
        drugs,
        > has anyone seen the version she did of "Broken English" she did on
        Saturday
        > Night Live when she was coked out of her mind and her voice was
        utterly
        > (yes, even for her) shot?

        I didn't see that, unforch. Speaking of Marianne, the first time I
        really listened to her closely was on her live album, Blazing Away.
        When it got to "Why'd Ya Do It" I almost fell off my chair. That is
        still one of the naughtiest songs I've ever heard. I wonder what Liz
        Phair thinks of Marianne?

        Ok, I just talked myself into playing something off this album. Tune
        in www.wxdu.org. I probably will wait until 2pm to play it, though.
        It's more of a Haywire than a Topsoil thing.

        steve