Re: [fearnwhiskey] Re: the 100 greatest drug songs ever!

  • Steve Gardner
    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 30, 2002
      both of these comments are priceless:

      > "It is a painful experience to read your column, yet I subject myself
      > to it in hopes that one day you'll announce it's your last," wrote A.B.

      and

      > There's this whole anti-SUV movement headed by a group called the
      > Evangelical Environmental Network. And it's built around the phrase
      > What Would Jesus Drive? Some guy was talking about this the other night
      > and he made an excellent point: "Jesus was in his early 30s, single, a
      > carpenter, he lived out in the sticks. He'd probably drive a pickup."

      And ya know, Jesus rode a donkey in the day of more respectable beasts. So
      I'm thinking he'd probably drive a Pinto, or maybe a Gremlin.

      Ok, so this doesn't start sounding like the flufflist I'm going to get back
      to the topic at hand. Did anyone suggest "Sister Morphine" by the Stones?
      Also Marianne Faithful does an even better version of it.

      steve
    • Steve Gardner
      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 1, 2002
        > Both of her versions that I've heard are gripping, and better
        anti-drug ads
        > than anything the federal government's put out. Speaking of MF and
        drugs,
        > has anyone seen the version she did of "Broken English" she did on
        Saturday
        > Night Live when she was coked out of her mind and her voice was
        utterly
        > (yes, even for her) shot?

        I didn't see that, unforch. Speaking of Marianne, the first time I
        really listened to her closely was on her live album, Blazing Away.
        When it got to "Why'd Ya Do It" I almost fell off my chair. That is
        still one of the naughtiest songs I've ever heard. I wonder what Liz
        Phair thinks of Marianne?

        Ok, I just talked myself into playing something off this album. Tune
        in www.wxdu.org. I probably will wait until 2pm to play it, though.
        It's more of a Haywire than a Topsoil thing.

        steve