new Nick Cave

  • cz28
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2002
      http://neumu.net/datastream/

      Nick Cave Returns With Nocturama

      Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' 12th studio album, Nocturama, due for release
      on Feb. 3, 2003, finds the brooding rock-poet revisiting the furious sound
      of the early Bad Seeds. "Nocturama" is a "place where the night animals
      live," Cave is quoted as saying on his official Web site, Nick Cave Online.

      Australian singer/songwriter Cave, who has recorded a series of gothic
      post-punk albums with his band, the Bad Seeds, is set to release three
      albums over the next three years. All will be on Mute Records
      internationally, with at least the first on Anti/Epitaph in the U.S. During
      the past few years, Anti/Epitaph has released albums by such living legends
      as Tom Waits, Merle Haggard and Solomon Burke; it's a division of the punk
      label Epitaph, which scored a huge success with The Offspring during the
      mid-to-late '90s.

      Nocturama was co-produced by Nick Launay (Gang of Four, Talking Heads, The
      Slits), who first worked with Cave in 1981 when he produced the Birthday
      Party's single, "Release the Bats." The album was recorded in just seven
      days in early 2002 at SingSing studios in Melbourne, Australia.

      Cave has been recording since the early '80s ? first as vocalist/songwriter
      for the Birthday Party and then, beginning in 1983, as leader of Nick Cave
      and the Bad Seeds. He's released more than a dozen albums (including a live
      album and a soundtrack), the most recent of which was 2001's No More Shall
      We Part. With the release of 1997's The Boatman's Call, Cave began
      distancing himself from a self-consciously theatrical approach to
      songwriting and performances, and delivered some of the most affecting
      songs of his career. "The Mercy Seat," off 1988's Tender Prey, was covered
      by Johnny Cash on his album American 3: Solitary Man.

      According to the official Nick Cave Web site, while Nocturama continues the
      direct musical and lyrical expressions of The Boatman's Call and No More
      Shall We Part, it also marks a return to the fire-and-brimstone hardcore
      sound that has been Cave's trademark. The raucous "Dead Man in My Bed" sees
      Cave writing in character, and the 15-minute closer, "Babe, I'm on Fire,"
      is reportedly as explosive as anything in Bad Seeds history. The album also
      includes such tender ballads as "There Is a Town" and "Wonderful Life."

      There are currently no plans for Cave to mount a full-scale world tour next
      year; instead he intends to focus on recording and releasing albums and
      will play scattered dates. - Ryan DeGama [Wednesday, Nov. 27, 2002]