PLAYLIST: Fear & Whiskey 5/20/02

  • czimring
    Message 1 of 23 , May 20, 2002
      Here's the playlist for tonight's episode of Fear & Whiskey, heard
      from 7-9pm ET on 88.3fm in Pittsburgh and www.wrct.org worldwide. For
      previous playlists, go to www.andrew.cmu.edu/~cz28/fear.html.

      Carl

      ARTIST / SONG
      john zorn / paran

      tom waits / coney island baby
      pinetop seven / heavens
      kelly kessler & the wichita shut-ins / point of no return
      [A fine Lonesome Bob cover. I don't think I've heard a bad Lonesome
      Bob cover...]
      jay farrar & kelly willis / rex's blues

      jim roll / in-flight magazines
      the court and spark / rooster mountain
      calexico / chach
      deliberate strangers / mather's mine
      [Today's the anniversary of the Mather mine explosion of 1928.
      Strangers @ Quiet Storm 5/25.]
      sid hillman quartet / this storm

      shiners / bonnie blue
      holly golightly / til i get
      cracker / victoria
      [From the Ray Davies tribute _This is Where I Belong_. I was told
      that today is Victoria Day.]
      fairport convention / walk awhile
      consonant / blissful
      [Clint Conoley of Mission of Burma's melodic new rock band.]

      elvis costello / tart
      kristin hersh / ruby
      [@ Club Cafe 6/7.]
      randy newman / texas girl at the funeral of her father
      silkworm / young
      [One of my favorite songs released this year.]
      boxstep / western exit

      lonesome bob / i get smarter every drink
      mark eitzel / rehearsals for retirement
      warren zevon / i have to leave
      chuck prophet / old friends
      bonnie prince billy / i see a darkness

      my morning jacket / how do you know?
      minutemen / the politics of time
      [Mike Watt @ 31st Street Pub 5/21.]
      rocket from the tombs / sonic reducer
      [Somehow the last three songs in the show came from Ohio bands.]
      one riot one ranger / on the right track now

      sovines / jesus dionysus
    • Lance Davis
      Message 2 of 23 , May 21, 2002
        Carl, I'm surprised you didn't play Joe Henry's "Bob and Ray"
        before or after the Jim Roll. "Reading in-flight magazines ...
        about Bob and Ray." Maybe next time <g>

        Anyway, I couldn't help noticing that Cracker covers Victoria.
        FYI, the last time I saw Grand Champeen they played this one and
        it was definitley the best Kinks cover I've ever heard. On that
        note, why have very few alt.country bands tackled the motherlode
        that is the Muswell Hillbillies album??

        This 20th Century Man wants to know, Lance

        --- czimring <cz28@...> wrote:
        > Here's the playlist for tonight's episode of Fear & Whiskey,
        > heard
        > from 7-9pm ET on 88.3fm in Pittsburgh and www.wrct.org
        > worldwide. For
        > previous playlists, go to www.andrew.cmu.edu/~cz28/fear.html.
        >
        > Carl
        >
        > ARTIST / SONG
        > john zorn / paran
        >
        > tom waits / coney island baby
        > pinetop seven / heavens
        > kelly kessler & the wichita shut-ins / point of no return
        > [A fine Lonesome Bob cover. I don't think I've heard a bad
        > Lonesome
        > Bob cover...]
        > jay farrar & kelly willis / rex's blues
        >
        > jim roll / in-flight magazines
        > the court and spark / rooster mountain
        > calexico / chach
        > deliberate strangers / mather's mine
        > [Today's the anniversary of the Mather mine explosion of 1928.
        >
        > Strangers @ Quiet Storm 5/25.]
        > sid hillman quartet / this storm
        >
        > shiners / bonnie blue
        > holly golightly / til i get
        > cracker / victoria
        > [From the Ray Davies tribute _This is Where I Belong_. I was
        > told
        > that today is Victoria Day.]
        > fairport convention / walk awhile
        > consonant / blissful
        > [Clint Conoley of Mission of Burma's melodic new rock band.]
        >
        > elvis costello / tart
        > kristin hersh / ruby
        > [@ Club Cafe 6/7.]
        > randy newman / texas girl at the funeral of her father
        > silkworm / young
        > [One of my favorite songs released this year.]
        > boxstep / western exit
        >
        > lonesome bob / i get smarter every drink
        > mark eitzel / rehearsals for retirement
        > warren zevon / i have to leave
        > chuck prophet / old friends
        > bonnie prince billy / i see a darkness
        >
        > my morning jacket / how do you know?
        > minutemen / the politics of time
        > [Mike Watt @ 31st Street Pub 5/21.]
        > rocket from the tombs / sonic reducer
        > [Somehow the last three songs in the show came from Ohio
        > bands.]
        > one riot one ranger / on the right track now
        >
        > sovines / jesus dionysus

        =====
        "Marge: Nobody told us how tough it is to raise kids. They almost drove me to fortified wine.

        Homer: Then we figured out we could park them in front of the TV. That's how I was raised, and I turned out TV."

        LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
        http://launch.yahoo.com
      • david_michael_siegel
        Message 3 of 23 , May 21, 2002
          Lance wrote-
          > On that
          > note, why have very few alt.country bands tackled the motherlode
          > that is the Muswell Hillbillies album??

          i don't know why it is, but i agree that more should give it a shot.

          oklahoma u.s.a. used to be a staple during the tweedy solo/acoustic
          shows at lounge ax, and it always mixed in real well w/ the rest of
          the set.

          David
        • Hill, Christopher J
          Message 4 of 23 , May 21, 2002
            Thanks for the list invite, Carl. I figure you got a
            chance to check out Paul Kelly on his tour - what'd you
            think? The Seattle show was stellar: hearing "Love is
            the Law" live was brilliant and Kelly's stage presence
            is so assured, he made it seem effortless.

            Not sure if I'll get "The Women at the Well" disc of
            Oz female artists doing PK songs, but it's gotten good
            reviews.

            > pinetop seven / heavens

            Liked this band from first listen, but after seeing them
            live, the appreciation's trebled. Post-show, made a mix
            cdr of their albums for a friend who went with. She loved
            it, as have others I've dubbed it for. I'm playing my
            copy incessantly - now, actually. Which version of
            "Heavens" did you use? (I dig the _No Breath in the
            Bellows_ version with the meandering little intro.)

            Darren Richard has a voice like a comfy wool blanket.
            "The Palm Acres Parade" gives me shivers.

            If you have their tour cd, check out "Cradlesong".
            Hope he uses female vox like this on their next
            studio record.

            > cracker / victoria
            > [From the Ray Davies tribute _This is Where I Belong_. I was told
            > that today is Victoria Day.]

            I heard this disc was so-so, but the source was suspect.
            Lambchop and Josh Rouse are also on it, aren't they? The
            Lee Hazlewood tribute is higher on my to-buy list, but
            would like further info on the Ray Davies disc - now it's
            on my used-bin scan list.

            > consonant / blissful
            > [Clint Conoley of Mission of Burma's melodic new rock band.]

            Grower of a cd. Great stretch in the middle, "John
            Coltrane's 'My Favorite Things'" to "Post-Pathetic".

            > mark eitzel / rehearsals for retirement

            Wonderful cover, and favorite track off that album that he
            sang during his recent tour.

            Chris
            np: that Pinetop Seven mix, "40 Watt Bulb".
          • Lance Davis
            Message 5 of 23 , May 21, 2002
              Good point, David. I was thinking more about bands, but I have a
              November '98 Tweedy show and he does nail that song.

              Lance

              =====
              "Marge: Nobody told us how tough it is to raise kids. They almost drove me to fortified wine.

              Homer: Then we figured out we could park them in front of the TV. That's how I was raised, and I turned out TV."

              LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
              http://launch.yahoo.com
            • wfsilvers
              Message 6 of 23 , May 21, 2002
                Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:

                > Anyway, I couldn't help noticing that Cracker covers Victoria.
                > FYI, the last time I saw Grand Champeen they played this one and
                > it was definitley the best Kinks cover I've ever heard.

                Whoa. I dunno if I'd wholeheartedly recommend the Kinks tribute
                record, though it really is better than most of those things are, but
                the Bill Lloyd/Tommy Womack cover of "Picture Book" is really nice.
                Of course, I would say that. <g>

                > On that note, why have very few alt.country bands tackled the
                motherlode that is the Muswell Hillbillies album??

                I think they probably lack your imagination, Lance. <g> And IMO (get
                Matt Benz started on this one), The Kinks are underrecognized vis a
                vis other top UK bands of the era who we all know and love, though
                they certainly have their hard core adherents.

                b.s.
              • czimring
                Message 7 of 23 , May 21, 2002
                  --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:
                  > Carl, I'm surprised you didn't play Joe Henry's "Bob and Ray"
                  > before or after the Jim Roll. "Reading in-flight magazines ...
                  > about Bob and Ray." Maybe next time <g>

                  Excellent call, Lance....though that might spur me to track down Bob
                  and Ray recordings...which might make me seek out Chris Elliott
                  "Conspiracy Guy" rants. A slipperly slope into comedy, but one I may
                  take up in the future.

                  > Anyway, I couldn't help noticing that Cracker covers Victoria.
                  > FYI, the last time I saw Grand Champeen they played this one and
                  > it was definitley the best Kinks cover I've ever heard. On that
                  > note, why have very few alt.country bands tackled the motherlode
                  > that is the Muswell Hillbillies album??

                  I don't know, but I do like Yo La Tengo's gentle take on "Oklahoma
                  USA".

                  Carl Z.
                • czimring
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 21, 2002
                    --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Hill, Christopher J" <
                    christopher.j.hill2@b...> wrote:
                    > Thanks for the list invite, Carl. I figure you got a
                    > chance to check out Paul Kelly on his tour - what'd you
                    > think? The Seattle show was stellar: hearing "Love is
                    > the Law" live was brilliant and Kelly's stage presence
                    > is so assured, he made it seem effortless.

                    I saw him and his *excellent* band last month and was struck by how
                    good of a dance band they are. It took them a while to get the sit-
                    down crowd out of their seats, but by show's end the floor was packed.
                    He pulled out material from most of his career, ending with a groove-
                    heavy version of "You Can Put Your Shoes Under My Bed". I hope he
                    comes back to the US before 2006.

                    > Not sure if I'll get "The Women at the Well" disc of
                    > Oz female artists doing PK songs, but it's gotten good
                    > reviews.

                    Is this a compilation of previously released tracks by the likes of
                    Vicky Bull or all new stuff?

                    > > pinetop seven / heavens
                    >
                    > Liked this band from first listen, but after seeing them
                    > live, the appreciation's trebled.

                    I am jealous. I don't think they've ever played Pittsburgh.

                    > Post-show, made a mix
                    > cdr of their albums for a friend who went with. She loved
                    > it, as have others I've dubbed it for. I'm playing my
                    > copy incessantly - now, actually. Which version of
                    > "Heavens" did you use? (I dig the _No Breath in the
                    > Bellows_ version with the meandering little intro.)

                    That's the one -- and that intro works very nicely as a segue with Tom
                    Waits's moody "Coney Island Baby" (which sounds very much like his
                    earlier "Innocent When You Dream").

                    > Darren Richard has a voice like a comfy wool blanket.
                    > "The Palm Acres Parade" gives me shivers.
                    >
                    > If you have their tour cd, check out "Cradlesong".
                    > Hope he uses female vox like this on their next
                    > studio record.

                    Was this disc sold only on tour, or is there some way I can order it?
                    Are the tracks live, demos or something else?

                    chock full of questions,
                    Carl Z.
                  • czimring
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 21, 2002
                      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "wfsilvers" <wfsilvers@y...> wrote:
                      > Whoa. I dunno if I'd wholeheartedly recommend the Kinks tribute
                      > record, though it really is better than most of those things are, but
                      > the Bill Lloyd/Tommy Womack cover of "Picture Book" is really nice.
                      > Of course, I would say that. <g>

                      Pop boy! I'm not a Lambchop fan, but like their take on "Art Lover".

                      > > On that note, why have very few alt.country bands tackled the
                      > motherlode that is the Muswell Hillbillies album??
                      >
                      > I think they probably lack your imagination, Lance. <g> And IMO (get
                      > Matt Benz started on this one), The Kinks are underrecognized vis a
                      > vis other top UK bands of the era who we all know and love, though
                      > they certainly have their hard core adherents.

                      Some on this list, though I may be one of the rare ones who think
                      Davies's peak is the early 1980s.

                      Carl Z.
                    • Hill, Christopher J
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 21, 2002
                        > He pulled out material from most of his career, ending with a groove-
                        > heavy version of "You Can Put Your Shoes Under My Bed". I hope he
                        > comes back to the US before 2006.

                        I heard a rumor (or maybe it's somewhere on http://www.paulkelly.com.au)
                        that he plans now to hit the States every two years. We'll see. He packed
                        the Crocodile, but other stops on the tour were more sparsely attended,
                        according to the PK list.

                        > > Not sure if I'll get "The Women at the Well" disc of
                        > > Oz female artists doing PK songs, but it's gotten good
                        > > reviews.
                        >
                        > Is this a compilation of previously released tracks by the likes of
                        > Vicky Bull or all new stuff?

                        Both. From: http://www.paulkelly.com.au/extras/watw.html

                        The Women At The Well features 16 tracks
                        and 14 brilliant female vocalists, performing
                        songs written by Paul Kelly, our finest
                        songwriter.

                        Some of the songs come from existing
                        recordings, but the majority of the tracks on
                        the album are brand new recordings, with most
                        specifically recorded for this project.

                        The songs range from treasured classics (Careless, Everything's
                        Turning To White) through to brand new songs, so recently
                        penned they are practically still glistening (The Gift That Keeps
                        On Giving). Some songs have appeared Paul Kelly albums. Many of
                        them have never been recorded by Paul. Some were written for
                        specific women, while others were just songs which blossomed
                        under a female interpretation.

                        The Women At The Well. On sale May 13th, 2002.

                        1.Bic Runga - The Gift That Keeps On Giving
                        2.Renee Geyer - You Broke A Beautiful Thing
                        3.Deborah Conway - Everybody Wants To Touch Me
                        4.Chrissy Amphlett - Before Too Long
                        5.Lash - Dumb Things
                        6.Vika & Linda - Be Careful What You Pray For
                        7.Christine Anu - Beat Of Your Heart
                        8.Kate Ceberano - There's Nothing Wrong With Being Wrong Sometimes
                        9.Rebecca Barnard - She's Rare
                        10.Angie Hart - Careless
                        11.Renee Geyer - Killer Lover
                        12.Magic Dirt - Darling It Hurts
                        13.Vika & Linda - 99 Years
                        14.Jenny Morris - Beggar On The Street Of Love
                        15.Anne Kirkpatrick - Cradle Of Love
                        16.Kasey Chambers - Everything's Turning To White
                        -----------------------

                        > > If you have their tour cd, check out "Cradlesong".
                        > > Hope he uses female vox like this on their next
                        > > studio record.
                        >
                        > Was this disc sold only on tour, or is there some way I can
                        > order it?
                        > Are the tracks live, demos or something else?

                        Now available at their website, http://www.pinetopseven.com/, for $10 + s&h.
                        "The Wind" score I'd take or leave, but I'd list tracks 1 & 4 among their
                        best. Track 2 is a great instrumental - very percussive, with nice guitar
                        threads winding around each other. It's worth the price for those three
                        alone. If you're a Boxhead Ensemble fan, too, you'll likely enjoy the
                        second half of the disc. I'd probably appreciate it more if I'd seen the
                        performance, kind of like listening to YLT's Painleve score.
                        (http://www.yolatengo.com/audio/merch.html).

                        ---------------
                        Lest We Forget includes 60+ minutes of previously unreleased Pinetop Seven
                        material spanning the years 1998-2001. Included are tracks intended for the
                        Rigging the Toplights and Bringing Home the Last Great Strike albums, an
                        assortment of miscellaneous demos, and a brilliant remix of "Mission
                        District" by Mactra. In addition the CD features approximately 30 minutes of
                        excerpts from the beautifully improvised score to the black and white silent
                        film, The Wind. The recording was made during a live performance & screening
                        at the University of Chicago May 23, 2000.

                        1.Mosquitoes
                        2.Some Ritual Business At The Lake
                        3.Left In A Room For Days
                        4.Cradlesong
                        5.Devoted Won't Do
                        6.Mission District (Remix)

                        Excerpts From The Wind
                        7.Opening / Train Departs
                        8.Stampede / Arrival At Cousin's House
                        9.Letty's Waltz
                        10.Cattlemen's Meeting / Into The Wind
                        11.Still, Death
                        12.Forcing A Kiss
                        13.Norther! / Storm Subsides
                        14.Horse In The Sky
                        15.Burial Scene

                        Chris
                      • jlswedberg
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 21, 2002
                          The Honeydogs used to cover "Picture Book" live, and it was great fun.
                          I don't think they ever recorded it, but I might be wrong, because I
                          lost interest in them after they ceased to be one of the most amazing
                          bands on the Twin Cities scene and--well, why candy-coat it?--started
                          to suck. <g>

                          --Jamie S.

                          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "wfsilvers" <wfsilvers@y...> wrote:
                          > Whoa. I dunno if I'd wholeheartedly recommend the Kinks tribute
                          > record, though it really is better than most of those things are, but
                          > the Bill Lloyd/Tommy Womack cover of "Picture Book" is really nice.
                          > Of course, I would say that. <g>
                        • czimring
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 22, 2002
                            --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Hill, Christopher J"
                            <christopher.j.hill2@b...> clipped:
                            > The Women At The Well features 16 tracks
                            > and 14 brilliant female vocalists, performing
                            > songs written by Paul Kelly, our finest
                            > songwriter.
                            >
                            > Some of the songs come from existing
                            > recordings, but the majority of the tracks on
                            > the album are brand new recordings, with most
                            > specifically recorded for this project.
                            >
                            > The songs range from treasured classics (Careless, Everything's
                            > Turning To White) through to brand new songs, so recently
                            > penned they are practically still glistening (The Gift That Keeps
                            > On Giving). Some songs have appeared Paul Kelly albums. Many of
                            > them have never been recorded by Paul. Some were written for
                            > specific women, while others were just songs which blossomed
                            > under a female interpretation.
                            >
                            > The Women At The Well. On sale May 13th, 2002.
                            >
                            > 1.Bic Runga - The Gift That Keeps On Giving
                            > 2.Renee Geyer - You Broke A Beautiful Thing
                            > 3.Deborah Conway - Everybody Wants To Touch Me
                            > 4.Chrissy Amphlett - Before Too Long

                            Oh my.

                            > 5.Lash - Dumb Things
                            > 6.Vika & Linda - Be Careful What You Pray For
                            > 7.Christine Anu - Beat Of Your Heart
                            > 8.Kate Ceberano - There's Nothing Wrong With Being Wrong Sometimes
                            > 9.Rebecca Barnard - She's Rare
                            > 10.Angie Hart - Careless
                            > 11.Renee Geyer - Killer Lover
                            > 12.Magic Dirt - Darling It Hurts
                            > 13.Vika & Linda - 99 Years
                            > 14.Jenny Morris - Beggar On The Street Of Love
                            > 15.Anne Kirkpatrick - Cradle Of Love
                            > 16.Kasey Chambers - Everything's Turning To White
                            > -----------------------

                            Amazing that they didn't include either of Kelly Willis's stellar
                            covers ("Cradle of Love" and "Hidden Things"), but perhaps the label
                            wanted to focus on Australian artists? There's a fair number of songs
                            listed that I've never heard before, so this may go on my shopping
                            list -- along with _Lest We Forget_.

                            I need more money,
                            Carl Z.
                          • Lance Davis
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 22, 2002
                              Jimmy Smith of the Gourds has played "Picture Book" during his
                              infrequent solo gigs here in Austin. I think the Gourds might
                              have tackled it as well, but I'm not sure.

                              Lance

                              =====

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 22, 2002

                                Jamie wrote:
                                > > The Honeydogs used to cover "Picture Book" live, and it was
                                > > great fun.

                                The Young Fresh Fellows do a very nice cover of PB on THIS ONE'S FOR
                                THE LADIES.

                                b.s.
                              • jlswedberg
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 22, 2002
                                  Now that I'd really like to see. My favorite Gourd, an' everything.
                                  <sigh>
                                  --Jamie S.

                                  --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:
                                  > Jimmy Smith of the Gourds has played "Picture Book" during his
                                  > infrequent solo gigs here in Austin. I think the Gourds might
                                  > have tackled it as well, but I'm not sure.
                                • lmerlin01
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 22, 2002
                                    --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> wrote:
                                    > Here's the playlist for tonight's episode of Fear & Whiskey, heard
                                    > from 7-9pm ET on 88.3fm in Pittsburgh and www.wrct.org worldwide.

                                    > elvis costello / tart

                                    This is my favorite song this year so far. I *love* the new record.
                                    But as I was telling Bill Silvers, I am only really familiar with
                                    some of Elvis's work, My Aim is True, This Years Model and assorted
                                    other stuff, but not all of it. Anyone else liking the new record?

                                    Lisa, who doesn't have much time to email these days unfortunately
                                    but likes this list.
                                  • czimring
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 23, 2002
                                      About elvis costello / tart,"lmerlin01" <lmerlin01@y...> wrote:
                                      > This is my favorite song this year so far. I *love* the new record.
                                      > But as I was telling Bill Silvers, I am only really familiar with
                                      > some of Elvis's work, My Aim is True, This Years Model and assorted
                                      > other stuff, but not all of it. Anyone else liking the new record?

                                      It's a fun one. Lisa, have you heard _King of America_? That's my
                                      favorite of his, and (arguably even more than his Nashville record) as
                                      close to alt.country as he ever got, with contributions from T-Bone
                                      Burnett, David Hidalgo (a pivotal role, Bill!), James Burton and a
                                      cast of thousands. It even has a couple of happy love songs not
                                      infected with venom or regret, quite rare in the Costello catalog.
                                      _Armed Forces_ & _Imperial Bedroom_ are my other favorites...

                                      Carl Z.
                                    • Lance Davis
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 23, 2002
                                        I'm with you on King of America, Carl. For the record, among its
                                        "cast of thousands" are bassist Ray Brown and drummer Earl
                                        Palmer on Poisoned Rose and Eisenhower Blues. Brown remains one
                                        of jazz's almightiest bass players and Palmer is certainly early
                                        rock 'n' roll's greatest drummer. Palmer laid down the beat (or
                                        laid off the beat more precisely) for virtually all of the great
                                        New Orleans records in the 1950s. Little Richard, Fats Domino,
                                        Lloyd Price ... Palmer backed them all.

                                        BTW, I think Get Happy is EC's most underrated record and in my
                                        Top 3 or 4. If Almost Blue and King of America are homages to
                                        American country, Get Happy is his homage to the best of 50s/60s
                                        American R&B.

                                        Lance

                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 23, 2002
                                          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:
                                          > I'm with you on King of America, Carl. For the record, among its
                                          > "cast of thousands" are bassist Ray Brown and drummer Earl
                                          > Palmer on Poisoned Rose and Eisenhower Blues. Brown remains one
                                          > of jazz's almightiest bass players and Palmer is certainly early
                                          > rock 'n' roll's greatest drummer. Palmer laid down the beat (or
                                          > laid off the beat more precisely) for virtually all of the great
                                          > New Orleans records in the 1950s. Little Richard, Fats Domino,
                                          > Lloyd Price ... Palmer backed them all.

                                          Agreed, and I should mention that Ray Brown is one of Pittsburgh's
                                          jazz legends -- he still comes back to town once or twice a year.

                                          > BTW, I think Get Happy is EC's most underrated record and in my
                                          > Top 3 or 4. If Almost Blue and King of America are homages to
                                          > American country, Get Happy is his homage to the best of 50s/60s
                                          > American R&B.

                                          I think Steve Nieve likes it too, given how much organ he got to play
                                          on it. Yep, that's got some great songs on it...Costello's one of
                                          those musicians who has at least ten records I really enjoy, and there
                                          aren't many of those around. As I've mentioned on another list, I
                                          even enjoy most of the Warner Brothers records (with the exception of
                                          _Mighty Like a Rose_), though I've very happy to see him working again
                                          with Stevie Nieve and Pete Thomas.

                                          Carl Z.
                                        • Lance Davis
                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 23, 2002
                                            <<As I've mentioned on another list, I even enjoy most of the
                                            Warner Brothers records (with the exception of Mighty Like a
                                            Rose>>

                                            I did like the song Don't You Know How to be Dumb, which I
                                            understood to be a thinly-veiled rip on Sting.

                                            Lance

                                            =====

                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 23, 2002
                                              --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Kelly Kessler" <humdinger@t...> wrote:

                                              > >David Hidalgo (a pivotal role, Bill!), James Burton <
                                              > !!!
                                              >
                                              > Ray Brown!!!!
                                              >
                                              > Which tunes are these gents on? Isn't King of America the one with
                                              American
                                              > Without Tears (an all-time fave) and Brilliant Mistake?

                                              Yes, yes yes! Let's see, off the top of my head, Burton's on about
                                              half the record (along with Jerry Scheff & Ron Tutt), Lance already
                                              covered the Brown-Palmer rhythm section's contribution, Hidalgo sings
                                              on "Lovable" and -- thanks for reminding me -- Jo-El Sonnier
                                              contributes some great accordion to "American Without Tears".

                                              > EC does an
                                              > remarkable job of exploring all different kinds of arrangements and
                                              styles
                                              > (apparently with distinctive musicians I'd-a thought I'd recognize
                                              in the
                                              > mix) while always sounding exactly like himself.

                                              Even his kitchen-sink production of _Spike_ (with an even larger cast
                                              of Big Stars including Roger McGuinn, Paul McCartney, Alan Toussaint
                                              and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band) sounds like him, no mean feat.

                                              > I share a studio with The Biggest Elvis Fan on the Planet and so
                                              I've heard
                                              > most of his catalog repeatedly but have never seen any of the liner
                                              notes.

                                              I'm not sure, but I'd guess that Rhino Records might have some of the
                                              credits up somewhere on their web site. _King of America_ and _Spike_
                                              are the Cecil B. de Mille productions, the rest are more intimate
                                              affairs session-wise.

                                              Carl Z.
                                            • Kelly Kessler
                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 23, 2002
                                                >David Hidalgo (a pivotal role, Bill!), James Burton <
                                                !!!

                                                Ray Brown!!!!

                                                Which tunes are these gents on? Isn't King of America the one with American
                                                Without Tears (an all-time fave) and Brilliant Mistake? EC does an

                                                Message 23 of 23 , May 23, 2002
                                                  --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Lance Davis <lwdavis1@y...> wrote:
                                                  > I did like the song Don't You Know How to be Dumb, which I
                                                  > understood to be a thinly-veiled rip on Sting.

                                                  I thought it was his response to bassist Bruce Thomas's
                                                  thinly-fictionalized account of life on the road with a singer he
                                                  dubbed "The Giant Pod", but you did remind me of one of my favorite
                                                  moments on America's favorite sitcom, The Osbournes. At the end of a
                                                  rather contemplative segment where Ozzy reflects upon the weird
                                                  behavior of himself and his clan, he concludes, "it could be worse, I
                                                  could be Sting."