Silos/Mary Lee's Corvette

  • Mock The DJ
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 25, 2002
      So, the Silos played a wonderful show in Pittsburgh last Thursday.
      Bill Deasy from the Gathering field (whom I had never seen before) jumped up
      and played a few acoustic numbers (and joined the Silos for a few songs as
      well).

      The opening band, Tangerine, sucked. They're local, and haven't played out
      much; however they act like they just got off their world tour. The music
      was bad (just boring...and damn the local paper for throwing the name "The
      Dream Syndicate" into a recent review...'cuz I didn't hear it), but what was
      even worse, was their disrepect towards Bill Deasy and The Silos.

      It seems that after Tangerine got done, they felt compelled to hang out by
      the merch table (which in the Club Cafe is 8 feet from the stage) and chat
      with a gaggle of ladies. These young women were loud and rude (gabbing
      about nothing and talking on cell phones). The bartender asked them a few
      times to keep it down, and eventually someone in the back of the club let
      out this huge "Shhhhhh!" This was all happening during Bill's acoustic set,
      and then by the time the Silos got up to play, the posse had moved to their
      table (immediately stage right). At one point during the show, Walter said,
      "I'm going to play another loud one right now, so that I can drown out this
      group" (as he motioned towards the rude crew). But I digress...

      Anyway, before the show Drew from the Silos informed me he was coming back
      in 2 weeks with another project of his called Tandy, and Konrad (The Silos
      drummer) said he was going to be back in town the day after Drew with Mary
      Lee's Corvette.

      I don't know much about either band, but here's the Rolling Stone review
      on Mary Lee's Corvette. (Their new disc IS Dylan's "Blood on the Tracks")

      -Paul

      http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/cd/review.asp?aid=2044873&cf=2044857

      MARY LEE'S CORVETTE - Blood on the Tracks (****)
      Your eyes do not deceive you. And your doubts won't last. This is a complete
      re-creation of Bob Dylan's untouchable 1975 divorce album, executed with a
      quietly direct magnificence enhanced by the modesty of its origins (a
      one-time 2001 New York club show, rescued from a soundboard cassette) and
      eclipsed only by Dylan's definitive recording. There is a savory Blonde on
      Blonde air to the organ and piano coursing through the band's faithful
      acoustic picking, while the bright bite in Mary Lee Kortes' voice -- the
      high-mountain sunshine of Dolly Parton, with a sweet-iron undercoat of
      Chrissie Hynde -- turns up the female hurt and fight in "Tangled Up in Blue"
      and "You're a Big Girl Now." The ultimate compliment: Dylan likes this album
      so much he has featured one of the tracks on his Web site.
      DAVID FRICKE
      (RS 906 - October 3, 2002)

    • Nina Melechen
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 25, 2002
        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Mock The DJ" <mockthedj@h...> wrote:
        > Anyway, before the show Drew from the Silos informed me he was
        coming back
        > in 2 weeks with another project of his called Tandy, and Konrad (The
        Silos
        > drummer) said he was going to be back in town the day after Drew
        with Mary
        > Lee's Corvette.
        >
        > I don't know much about either band

        Tandy has a sort of alt-country-ambient sound. It's not exactly my
        thing, but they do it well, and I know of a large handful of people
        whose taste I frequently agree with who consider Tandy the best
        NYC-area alt-country band going. If you like moody, drawn-out, twangy
        pieces I would recommend them.

        Mary Lee's Corvette is Mary Lee Kortes's band. They're a sort of
        indie-rock outfit with a lot of pop and twang thrown in. Mary Lee is
        Eric Ambel's wife, which led to her being the only woman ever allowed
        to record with the Bottlerockets, or something like that. I'd never
        go out of my way for her, but if she's on the bill at a show I'm going
        to I make sure to get there in time to hear her.

        Nina M.