Re: Lincoln/Tram (and Steve Wynn)

  • czimring
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 25, 2002
      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Hill, Christopher J" <
      christopher.j.hill2@b...> wrote:
      > > --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Andy Benham" <a.s.benham@b...> wrote:
      > > > Lincoln and Tram can be pretty much linked together playing a self
      > > > styled "anglicana" which as I understand it is a mixture of what
      > > > Lambchop and Tindersticks are doing. Both bands use liberal
      > > > amounts of strings and horns and both have a male/female vocal
      > > > duo going, sort of like the way Beautiful South use that
      > > style. If I
      > > > was to pick one above the other I'd say I slightly prefer
      > > Lincoln, who
      > > > add small instrumental interludes between tracks, and because I
      > > > just prefer their voices.
      > >
      > > Does either band have the moody, dark vocals and atmospherics of
      > > Tindersticks or are they a bit brighter and uptempo like the Beautiful
      > > South?
      >
      > http://www.westnet.com/consumable/1999/11.01/revtram.html -
      > here's a review I wrote for the first Tram album, if you're
      > interested.

      Thanks Chris! From your Low comparisons, it sounds like it should be
      quite moody. Perfect fodder for me...

      > Lincoln sounds very intriguing. And familiar - they've got a
      > track on the sampler cd for Comes with a Smile # 9. Matt
      > Dornan and his staff assemble excellent v/a comps. Many bands
      > that folks here would enjoy. http://cwas.hinah.com/backissue/
      > They just came out with # 10.

      CWAS is marvellous -- I don't know if it's online, but their interview
      with Joel Phelps about a year ago explains his current activity.

      > Chris
      > np: Steve Wynn, _Here Come the Miracles_

      My favorite rock record of last year. I hope he continues to work with
      Chris Brokaw, though if Brokaw receives too much attention for his _Red
      Cities_ to be a sideman, that'd be fine by me as well.