checking in

  • jlswedberg
    Message 1 of 3 , May 20, 2002
      Hey all--
      Just wanted to say I'm here. What a great idea to start this list!
      --Jamie S. (no commentary yet...too tired...gimme a few days <g>)
    • andyb240658
      Message 2 of 3 , May 21, 2002
        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "jlswedberg" <jlswedberg@y...> wrote:
        > Hey all--
        > Just wanted to say I'm here. What a great idea to start this list!
        > --Jamie S. (no commentary yet...too tired...gimme a few days <g>)

        And I thought I'd say I've made my way over hear as well. Seems
        strange subscribing to a list about a radio show I've never heard but
        oh well. Much on the playlists are of interest to me but much also
        I've never heard of. So I guess I'll be an occasional poster with the
        odd suggestion of stuff from the UK that maybe of interest.

        I noticed Chuck Prophet on this weeks list. Had the choice of seeing
        Chuck or Jim White last week in Wolverhampton (only 200 yards apart).
        Chose Jim White's show and definitely wasn't disappointed but was
        irritated to miss Chuck's show. How is he live these days.

        Andy
      • czimring
        Message 3 of 3 , May 22, 2002
          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "andyb240658" <a.s.benham@b...> wrote:
          > I noticed Chuck Prophet on this weeks list. Had the choice of seeing
          > Chuck or Jim White last week in Wolverhampton (only 200 yards apart).
          > Chose Jim White's show and definitely wasn't disappointed but was
          > irritated to miss Chuck's show. How is he live these days.

          Does Chuck ever play in the US? East of the Mississippi? Anyway, I'd
          be curious to hear what he's like in concert as his mix of R&B beats
          and roots-rock on the last couple of records is as satisfying a
          synthesis as any of its kind. (In some ways it reminds me of when Joe
          Henry started incorporating R&B and jazz into his sound, though I'm
          trying to imagine Ornette Coleman sitting in with Prophet!)

          Tangentially, I hear that Mi'Shell Ndegeocello (Henry's bassist on
          _Scar_) has a new album coming out soon. She's one of those artists
          whose sound varies widely from album to album (_Bitter_ was downright
          folky) and I'm curious if anyone's had the opportunity to hear the new
          one and can say what it sounds like?