Re: Sunny Border Blue

  • czimring
    Message 1 of 26 , May 20, 2002
      --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "Laura A. Watt" <lawatt@n...> wrote:
      > full of incomplete information,
      > laura

      Almost complete information -- clicking around the site brings news
      that it is the same band, the record should be out in January and they
      aren't doing much touring behind it. And Lisa, she'll do a solo set
      at Bumbershoot, so there's your Seattle date!

      Carl
    • wfsilvers
      Message 2 of 26 , May 20, 2002
        --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> replied to my MoL :

        > > b.s. who usually steers folks toward The Mysteries of Life for
        Vulgar Boatmen spin-offs

        > Did they put a record out last year, Bill?

        Yup, October 23rd (if the AMG is to be believed). It's called DISTANT
        RELATIVE and it's self-released, which is probably why it flew way
        under my radar till this spring (and even then I kept forgetting about
        it...I've finally got a copy on order, and I'll report back once i've
        heard it). The MoL website appears to be down
        ( members.aol.com/autobeatnik/ )
        which might have a little something to do with the massive buzz the
        record isn't getting.

        > If you bring in the Silos, that's quite a fertile family tree.

        Yeah, though The Silos are sort of the older brother of the Boatmen,
        which makes them an uncle to MoL, unless they're an aunt...I'm getting
        all confused now. If you bring MoL's Antenna mom into it, and the
        Blake Babies grandma (or is it aunt?), well, I'm getting all confused.
        <g>

        b.s.
      • lmerlin01
        Message 3 of 26 , May 20, 2002
          --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., "czimring" <cz28@a...> wrote:

          > Almost complete information -- clicking around the site brings news
          > that it is the same band, the record should be out in January and
          they
          > aren't doing much touring behind it. And Lisa, she'll do a solo
          set
          > at Bumbershoot, so there's your Seattle date!

          Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
          Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
          about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
          one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
          so I can play it now?

          Carl asked about Jesse Sykes. Yes, she's from Seattle and plays with
          a band called the Sweet Hereafter with her boyfriend Phil, the
          grumpy one who played with Whiskeytown <g>. I really like most of
          the record, very melodic, sad, although her voice won't be for
          everyone. Check, check , check it out!

          Lisa
        • Laura A Watt
          Message 4 of 26 , May 21, 2002
            Lisa wrote:

            >Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
            >Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
            >about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
            >one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
            >so I can play it now?

            It's called, aptly, "green eyes" and it's on their debut album
            called, aptly, "Throwing Muses." 1987. Which is when i first heard
            it, couldn't stop playing it, and have been the Muses'/KH's biggest
            fan ever since.

            A massive poll was recently done via the TM website to determine
            folks' favorite songs, which I believe Billy is going to use in part
            to great a "greatest hits" sort of thing at some point -- to see the
            poll results, go to

            http://www.solace.net/musings/BestMusesSongs.htm

            I was somewhat mystified by some of the results -- agreed with three
            in the top five (pearl, shimmer and bea), but then I fell off
            completely -- only one more (delicate cutters) in the top ten, and no
            others in the next ten.

            waking up to hooks in my head,
            laura
          • czimring
            Message 5 of 26 , May 21, 2002
              --- In fearnwhiskey@y..., Laura A Watt <lawatt@n...> wrote:
              > Lisa wrote:
              >
              > >Wow. That is so cool! Because I am the queen of lame, I missed the
              > >Throwing Muses until they were long broken up. I've had that song
              > >about green eyes (name?) in my head for days-- "there's one boy in
              > >one house..". What record was that song on and why don't I have it
              > >so I can play it now?
              >
              > It's called, aptly, "green eyes" and it's on their debut album
              > called, aptly, "Throwing Muses." 1987. Which is when i first heard
              > it, couldn't stop playing it, and have been the Muses'/KH's biggest
              > fan ever since.

              And if you can't track down that album, it was reissued with a bunch
              of early material on _In a Doghouse_ a few years ago.

              [poll]
              > I was somewhat mystified by some of the results -- agreed with three
              > in the top five (pearl, shimmer and bea), but then I fell off
              > completely -- only one more (delicate cutters) in the top ten, and no
              > others in the next ten.

              I dig "Hate My Way", but am *shocked* that "Call Me" didn't even make
              the cut! (Both of those songs are on _Throwing Muses_ and are among
              my favorite songs of the 1980s.)

              Carl Z.*

              *By way of a welcome to Carl Wilson on this list (our first
              Canadian!), I shall now add an initial to differentiate our posts.